Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooooo very nice studies...I love that phone you posted a couple back ^_^

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Incredible... the way you study in depth is very inspiring. Your perspective looks so solid! Love your work, and love the form in your human figures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice work. I especially like the sketches of work by Sargent. Keep it up!

Please stop by my sketchbook and leave me a critique: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237656

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, thanks for all the comments everyone!

Some more Mucha studies.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man. Thanks for stopping by in my sketchbook. I've spent a lot of time on perspective in the past but I'm feeling lately that my perspective skills are so weak. When I'm practicing I think about your car line drawings. The perspective is killer on your latest batch.

oh..and YOU'RE ON! that means I'm going to have to start posting my work again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jarrad. That means... IT'S ON! Last one concepting for WETA buys the drinks

Ordered a load of stuff on ebay last week and things have finally started arriving. Got a lovely set of five copic markers in a variety of greys. Looks like i'll need sketchbooks with thicker paper though, this stuff bleeds through pretty badly, very fun to use though. Also bought an 18" spidey to use as a mannequin, he arrived today (pictured playing on his game boy micro). He's totally awesome, have already ordered another to keep him company. The articulated fingers are amazing

Also some depressingly generic mech designs, marker sketches, etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoa.
    that is frikkin wild dude!
    its a painting? looks like a photo
    mind/blown
    brb stabbing myself in the eyeballs/ the phone is sweet man.
    Thanks for droppin by

Last edited by FROZ3N; July 1st, 2012 at 07:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @PITCHBLACK yeah, just something I bashed out with my crayolas. Took about fifteen minutes... No, wait. I'm thinking of something else. That's a photo.

Started working on the mech sketches, but lots of distractions today, hardly got anything done

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice updates man! the thumbs are great, cool mechs... the color tests came out nice. nice spidey by the way, its impressive what one can manage with some crayolas!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehehe, thanks Gpozzo.

Started a study of one of Maciej Kuciara's many amazing dragon paintings, will try and finish this tomorrow.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kvetch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the new postings... keep them coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks mate

Did a bit more on this study:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the tips! You make many good points that I didn't consider. The only one that I'm aware of is the "plane" on the back of the right car. I had imagined that it rolled down and therefore wouldn't be seen. To be honest, I know very little about cars. What drew me to them was their shapes and whatnot.

I really like your latest study. I checked about Maciej and realized that i've seen his work before. He is AMAZING! The only thing that stands out on yours is the eye shape. His is more of an ellipse but yours has a slant which makes the monster look sad or upset.. Well maybe to that extent but it does look like it is thinking about something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aha, thanks! I didn't even think about the expression. You're right the eye is very different... the mouth too.

Some hand studies. I think I have very poor awareness of colour, will have to keep working on that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful dragon, I love colours. Continue with studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you look like youre on a great start, i love that mech thumbnails. I also have that spiderman toy.

"Many of life's failures are the people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
    -Thomas Edison

Concept Art Sketchbook - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=219673

http://kimozabbi.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys

Started a Sorolla study yesterday but ragequit. Apparently his students would burst into tears of hopelessness when he demonstrated his skills. Makes sense.
    Here's a couple of weird sketches from this morning:

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Kvetch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those mecha sketches are great! That dragon is my favorite though, its looseness is catchy; the mood is evoked very simplistically by it. Awesome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Sandyman The dragon is just a study, you should seek out the original by Maciej Kuciara if you haven't already, I've copied about 1% of the detail o.O

Some gun thumbs and a quick blender mockup. They're supposed to be contemporary on the left, near future modded versions on the right.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dang dude. I can tell you are going to be real good....the last few updates are badass/guns/ shadow etc....Is that some alchemy stuff with the gradient robot?
    dope man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing SB, keep it up!

I struggle with my art studies and stuff, but I NEVER quit. *cough* just making myself clear
    Here, check my Sketchbook, drop a comment, you're always welcomed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @PITCHBLACK Thanks man, the b&w sketches are photoshop, I made a selection and used a really big soft brush or the gradient tool.

@Morningtea Thanks buddy

Started the Sorolla study again, will try and finish tomorrow:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo mang. the sorolla piece seems to be lacking some low end value, but on the other hand I've never seen the original so I could be disgustingly wrong! Keep up the fine work..... OR ELSE
    EDIT: i realize that you aren't done and the piece is already a low key one, but It just felt like it was missing some dark darks here and there

Last edited by Jarrad; July 9th, 2012 at 02:09 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Jarrad, yeah you're right about the values. I'm painting it with the darks one step lighter and the lights one step darker for some reason. I think I read you're supposed to keep some value range in reserve, although I don't see how it matters in photoshop when you can just pull out contrast at the drop of a hat.

I've repainted some of the stuff that really wasn't working, still lots of annoying problems to work on. Her face is driving me nuts, I've scrubbed it out and repainted it at least 6 times D:<

zephyri is offline professional guacamole maker Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some awesome looking studies in this sketchbook! I love the bridgman studies especially... there's something great in seeing them all lined up like that. I have a question... the purpley-green visual effect you have on the cellphone still life on page one.. is that a filter you applied?

Loving your sheer motivation though... as for the last study.. the figure in the original appears to be looking out at the viewer, and her skin tone in general if converted to greyscale I think would be a bit darker than you have it (look at the contrast with the white directly beneath) other than that I'd say you're close enough to call it a success...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks zephyri, you're right about the values. I didn't even think (again) to note which direction she was looking. On close inspection, I'm pretty sure she's looking demurely at the ground in front of the viewer. I've changed this, but I still can't get the face working, it's all skewed. Time for some portrait studies

That effect on the still life is chromatic abberation, a characteristic of refracting lenses. Different frequencies of light undergo different amounts of refraction (remember prisms from phsyics class?). I think the spherical distortion of the lens increases exponentially from the center of the lens to the perimeter. So basically you get minimal ca at the center, maximum at the extreme limits. It's normally only visible in very high contrast situations.

In that still life I just nudged the channels a little bit, which is a pretty bad way to emulate it (window>channels>select channel>[ctrl]-[a]>[v]>[L/R arrows). A better way to do it would be to use the spherical distortion filter on each channel separately (eg 0% red, 1% green, 2% blue). You would then need to mask the effect out in low contrast areas.

Cloud photostudies painted with flat colours - didn't turn out well, but pretty interesting to do. they're all blues only, even though some of the greys look pretty yellow or red by contrast where the scattered sunlight is coming through:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Moar studies. Mucho thanks to Gloominati for the skull ref photos he uploaded to his blog www.cgbrush.org.

Experimenting with some different ways of approaching these studies, thinking more about authenticity and not worrying about accuracy too much. First one is horrible, but I think the second is a little better, it also came together a lot faster as I had a better understanding of the colour relationships. Was delighted to find that the skull behaved in a very similar way to the clouds from yesterday, with light getting through and neutralising some of the blue in the shadows.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for stopping by my SB. I cant really give you any critique since im still a novice but that sorolla study youre doing is looking nice. I was reading a book called Alla Prima and his name Sorolla popped out in there too. The skulls looks great and it nice that you were able to apply some of your cloud study in your skull study.

Keep it up bro!

"Many of life's failures are the people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
    -Thomas Edison

Concept Art Sketchbook - http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=219673

http://kimozabbi.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The observational skills are strong with this one. I think the first one is just fine except for the tangent being created between the cup and skull. To me it makes it look like the cup is in front of the skull somehow. I got lots of catching up to do!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man! You have some serious skillz! Great understanding of what you see. Cant wait for moar!!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4