Drawing Naturally vs. Constructively

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Threaded View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Drawing Naturally vs. Constructively

So I've hit a bump in the road that's been bothering me for some time. A while ago I was attending life drawing sessions on an almost daily basis, and got to a nice standard of work according to some people. It seems I may have plateaued, and shortly after realizing this, I started asking around my school for advice on how to reach a better standard.

The thing is...I didn't get the advice I was expecting. Virtually everyone (professional faculty, students in their fourth and final year) told me to 'just keep drawing' and let your mind do the work, or 'keep doing what you're doing.' This started to really frustrate me after a while, because I thought that I still had some issues in my work, but I felt that they were maybe non-issues because no one would comment on them. I also wanted to do exercises or have a specific goal while I went to these lifedrawing sessions, but I kept being told to just draw and that exercises would ultimately hinder me (or maybe my process to draw what I see; like drawing a loomis head instead of an actual one). Every once in a while I got comments like 'work on your feet or necks' but I still didn't feel like this was enough direction.

In the end, all this indecision may have led me backwards, in the sense that I don't know what information to trust, and have I stalled my ability to learn.
    This problem is reaching to other areas of my drawing too, like when I do cafe sketches or try to draw from imagination.

Note: There's some examples of my work on the fourth post.

Last edited by J.Geo; May 31st, 2012 at 04:45 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 1