Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 850 Posts
    Somebody was saying something about too many sequels. This new Tomb Raider sums it up. Don't get me wrong it looks good but she isn't Laura Croft. Laura Croft rides dinasours and fights nazi mummies for relics and shit. This lady is cool, but she's not Laura Croft.

Is it just me or does the new Tomb Raider look like a tie in to the new Far Cry?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,258 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Tomb Raider's Laura Croft has an iconic look, granted it's due to dated graphics limitations but sometimes it..well just works. So some ways of failing have to do with "making it look more real".

Realistic graphics can be appreciated but that doesn't equate to "engaging experience" I still felt for the 8 bit sprites in my old games just as much as someone rendering a ton o polygons to make perty hair waving.

In my opinion, I think Laura Croft should retire in a case and let a new trained person in, or just create a branch from the original if you want to revitalize it. It's a hard risk because the iconic character is absent, but I just feel making Laura Croft more "Real" isn't exactly selling me but a game with a female hero that is believable may do a better job.

On another note, I had a conversation with a friend that RPGs are too long now. Ever since Final Fantasy 7 people really feel the need to make multiple discs for an RPG. You can still have shorter and enjoyable RPGs too. Making it over 70hours is not necessarily a good thing to just complete it. Shorter hours and being able to replay it for various reasons seems more interesting. If someone wants to do the side games and quests in with it, I can go for that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 835 Posts
    Realistic graphics can be appreciated but that doesn't equate to "engaging experience" I still felt for the 8 bit sprites in my old games just as much as someone rendering a ton o polygons to make perty hair waving.
    I think someone posted a video on this site quite a while ago about how good design is about limiations. The more technology advances the less limitations you have, and unless you can create these these limitations for yourself you're going to end up with a bad design. I think this makes a lot of sense and says a lot about todays gaming industry...

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    To Tobba: If you want to see a real limitations challenge; check out Fantasy Zone IIDX, which is an enhanced version of Fantasy Zone 2 made on the old Sega System-16 hardware.

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I stopped using it years ago.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Zenithian Oh, and I am also a GNASH supporter/promoter.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    I just feel making Laura Croft more "Real" isn't exactly selling me but a game with a female hero that is believable may do a better job.
    I actually really like Lara's new design. More mature than the old ones, which honestly looked like a horny 14-year-old designed her. Seems kind of strange to say the new design isn't believable when you consider it's gone from this:

e3 2012 rumors and gossip to this: e3 2012 rumors and gossip

For the gameplay I'm very skeptical. Scripted shooters with lots of QTEs are getting really old.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    I mind rpgs being so long when its pointlessly padded, if you say 4 disc of differnt content, settings characters is all good , 100 hours but most in grinding trough uninteresting copy pasted terrain doing repetitive chores and fetch quests for copy pasted npcs? ummmm...

I personally still like structured stories like the older FF games much more than current open world rpgs. Somehow those felt more epic with less "content". The world is only as epic as you make believe not as you literally make it.

Also, Lara Croft was just Indiana Jones with boobies, so its not like her character design was such an amazing achivement to begin with. I´d say is all good if the game features fun exploration and scenarios.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Barker View Post
    I actually really like Lara's new design. More mature than the old ones, which honestly looked like a horny 14-year-old designed her. Seems kind of strange to say the new design isn't believable when you consider it's gone from this:
    You are misunderstanding my post. Even making Laura look more real isn't a selling point. I said her design was iconic. The upgraded real look while nice doesn't make it Laura Croft in a sense. Any realistic woman at this point can take her place.

So repeating

Sure it looked silly but it still was iconic. Even if I don't like the toony design making her look like another regular female isn't making me go "damn gotta buy it now" you could have just had any realistic girl and carried on the franchise.

Many years later her design is less sexist so I should play it?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    Oh, in that case I agree with you. I have no plans on playing the game until it's under 20 bucks, no matter how much I like the lead character design.

The situation does makes sense though. They'll sell a lot more copies with "Tomb Raider" on the box, I don't blame them for that. It's relatively harmless. Then again I feel no sentimentality towards the franchise.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Barker View Post
    Oh, in that case I agree with you. I have no plans on playing the game until it's under 20 bucks, no matter how much I like the lead character design.

The situation does makes sense though. They'll sell a lot more copies with "Tomb Raider" on the box, I don't blame them for that. It's relatively harmless. Then again I feel no sentimentality towards the franchise.
    Yeah I understand that bit of marketing.

Just seems like it would have been nice to see a torch passed considering how "old" Laura Croft is, so instead of remaking her design another female could have come in. Considering her new design looks just about any girl - could have had something interesting going on there.

Has there been anything else interesting E3 wise?

Also, thoughts on this article? http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...,0,84397.story

Last edited by Arshes Nei; June 4th, 2012 at 06:53 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post

Has there been anything else interesting E3 wise?
    i did lol a bit with this image.
    e3 2012 rumors and gossip

I´m leaving the news browsing for tomorrow, but the titles i´ve notice so far have just been the obvious franchises with a higher number on the side.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 835 Posts
    Yeah. X Box press conference was pretty boring. Nothing you didn't expect and a bunch of sillyness. The South Park game looked kinda fun though.

Also the Spyglass thing turned out to be real. I doubt it'll be a "WiiU killer" though...

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    So far there has been anything outstanding. I'll be honest, when I first saw the Halo 4 gameplay I thought I was looking at Metroid Prime. That being said, Dead Space 3 looks fantastic, but I'm not to sure how I feel about the Co-op, Dead Space has gone as far as to make it to my top five greatest games ever made, but I think I may skip Dead Space 3 and just make up my own ending to Issac's story.

I'm still holding out for some Mass Effect 3 DLC news and more Dishonored which I felt deserved a bigger showcase.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    I don't think we'll see much about new hardware from Sony or Microsoft. After rumors of the next Xbox having an old $60 GPU in it, I doubt either will spring for huge upgrades. Consoles will probably take a small step. UDK 4 will be above them though. Kind of eager to see how that works out. I'm more excited about Siggraph or the GDC as far as new toys are concerned.

Games are kind of lackluster. Tomb Raider looks like another game for industry "journalists" to latch onto in the interest of politics. The PS1 game was fun. It had a female main character and guys loved playing as her. She was wealthy, she loved adventure, she shot things. I'm not really sure why it needs to turn into Uncharted 4: Serious Business. Probably because they "want the Call of Duty audience" and "wants to draw in new fans." Reviewers will get paid to give it a 10/10, which will validate it and then Kotaku can spend the next six months talking about it empowering female gamers.

Sorry I'm still a bit bitter of the Bioware and Mass Effect 3 fiasco.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.