Character Design
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Character Design

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Character Design

Ok, so this is a character I made, and I'm very unhappy with it. I know there's plenty going wrong and I really want to get better. So maybe I can get some pointers on what the most blatant mistakes are. I'm teaching myself this stuff, and would very much appreciate any and all help I can get. I used a couple of references for the arms, the pose and stuff like that. Unfortunately I didn't have any references for the lighting, which I think is probably the biggest offender. But yeah.

I also know that clothing is plain, I'll try to think of some better clothes. Those were not the main point of this, this is more about lighting.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well its good that you got reference. Unfortunately, I don't think you followed the ref well enough, or you followed it too closely. Because your result does not look good. Remember to step back and look at your drawing--how could her torso possibly be turning that way?

No amount of lighting will make up for the boring drawing, boring design, and poor anatomy.

As for lighting tho, make sure to make it look dramatic--thats the whole point of lighting. Right now, she is lit everywhere and its flat and boring. If you want light coming from below her, then do that...don't light her all over the place.

Now that sounded harsh, but let me say that it ain't bad. You are doing several things right like proportion and overall application is ok. Draw more from models and learn anatomy.

Good luck.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Artfix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, looks cool, but I'm here for feedback, not pat you on the back

General proportions: Okey, head is 126 pixels high, body is 1083 pixels high. So, she is 8.6 heads high, a little on the tall side to be honest, but it seems fitting for the subject matter. However, you might want to rethink your light scheme in that case, backlit or lit from below might serve you better than the side-lit composition you have now.

Bodypart by bodypart then:
    Head: The eyes looks a little bit off, but that might just be me.
    Arms: Her lower arms looks to be a bit too short, but its hard to say on account of the armor.
    Torso: Okey, here is the main problem. She seems to be bent, look at her tummy and try to find a model standing like she does, use a roommate, ask a friend or use a sibling you could bully into doing it, and look at that persons tummy.
    Crotch: With the tummy like that she would have serious problems keeping her pelvis connected to her body
    Legs: Lower legs are a bit long.
    Feet: Too small. Way to small.
    Hands: again, to small.

But, looks like you have made some wicked progress. Keep it up

You can find my drawing blog here

It's mainly a blog about how I develop as an artist, but I post my exercises and how to's on it as well, so if that interests you than take a look.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Meijer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi i thought id add my 2 cents to what the others have said.

the costume is ...well you know it already... legwarmers, rags-skirt, those shoulders... look at what ian mccaig did for starwars *drool*

the figure itself is rather stiff because the parts shift, turn and tilt in strange directions and contradict each other a bit.

i would also start out in primitives like i did in the first sketch. its easier to get the volumes right, and helps a big deal when it comes to rendering.

in your rendering there are forms that make absolutely no sense, like the stomache. i like to paint my women rather soft instead of ripped, but thats personal preference. yet if you want to have her ripped, get some reference to get it right.
    in general if you want to do light studies... study it with primitives first. get used to thinking in terms of light-halftone-shadow, core and cast shadows, ambiet occlusion, reflected light and so on.
    pay attention how those primitives interlock forming the human body.

i hope it helps a bit and my writing aint too confused.

heres an op to illustrate my points. keep it up!

Name:  warmics-spearlady-01.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  284.7 KB

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

7. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, so first i'd like to thank you all guys, great feedback. I did use reference, but perhaps I approached it the wrong way. The pose was mostly based on http://fav.me/d1bwtk2, I think I did a big mistake trying to imitate the light on that picture since it wouldn't fit the painting i was making. Thanks again people, I don't mind harsh but useful critique.

[edit]
    I just noticed about the tummy angle. I allowed the light to confuse me, her belly (in the reference i mean) is not tilting so harsh as I did, it's barely shifting right. XD darn, thank you!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.