C.O.W. #262, The Ninjas Companion. WIPs - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Versions

I realized that maybe I should come up with some variations in design, so I made a few versions here.
    I thought that maybe it made more sense having the stinger at the front, so I made some versions of that. The upper right one doesn't stand on the victims body but instead latches on tightly, more like a leach.

Tell me which one works best and what's good with the different versions

Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Trouble with attachment

Scorge: No I can't see it, and it doesn't seem to work for me either.

Edit: Oh, it seems to be working again.

Last edited by Kritzlof; June 4th, 2012 at 04:08 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oskar!: I really like that beetle guy. How does he kill people mainly?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi folks,

I really wanted to try this contest for a long time, but have just now decided to give it a shot. so here is my idea:

the creature is a mix of a bat, chameleon, surveillance-camera and screen. It not so much kills people directly, but scouts the terrain and places the ninja wants to invade. it also observes the ninja fight and after that, it displays what has happened on the changeable pigments in its wings. The ninja can then touch the sensual buds on its tail to skip forward and backward and analyse the stuff that's displayed. by that he gains an advantage over his enemies and can learn from earlier mistakes he made. the creature also has poisonous saliva which he can use to increase the deadliness of his shuriken. on lonely travels the ninja can talk to the creature and it responds like a therapis, rearranging his sentences in order to keep him talking. nobody knows if the actually understand what the are saying or if it is just chatter. and at last I had the idea of the creature being able to create a smokescreen to help the ninja escape hairy situations.

That's it for the design-talk, here is a first conceptualization. still working on the whole architecture of the creature. i hope you like it, and if not, drop me a comment on what I could improve on.

Cheers,
    Flo

Last edited by Enimael; June 4th, 2012 at 06:33 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice one Scorge. I'm glad you went with the second pose. The only mistake I can see is that there are only 4 fingers on the right hand, but it took me a while to notice it, and I never would have seen it at all if you hadn't said anything. Great work though.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to aburnier For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking a lot better scorge, if you don't mind anoooother sugestion, i think one of the coolest features of this creature is the design of the head....wich silhouette you are loosing because the value is the same of the ninja behind. In the first post look how much better the shape is reading, and how cool is looking compared to the last one (the fact that reads well, not the head design since is the same). You are probably already aware of this and working on it, but just in case.

Last edited by elephant´s stroke; June 4th, 2012 at 05:47 PM.
    "Nature has the coolest patterns because there is chaos but then, it's also controled" Feng Zhu, design cinema, episode 35

Web
    Sketchbook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to elephant´s stroke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, amazing looking WIPs, people.

Scorge: I am no expert, but something seems off to me as well. Of course, your composition and technique are amazing and enviable, imo.

What stands out to me is the perspective/foreshortening on the "cat's" hindquarters. It is just about right, but it seems like the rear left leg should be moved a bit forward, perhaps even slightly lifting off the statue. It would make the jumping motion seem more "springy" or powerful, imo.

Similar thing with the ninja's legs... I think the dynamism is good, but it doesn't seem springy or explosive enough. I picture ninjas being so agile and flexible, but he seems a tad stiff. Perhaps it's the point in time you used to draw? It seems like a realistic position that would occur during a jump, but perhaps if you drew his body position at a slightly earlier stage of the motion, like when his limbs are more bent, it would look more dynamic... sort of like it's *just* starting. Also, maybe not so upright of a torso... I see ninjas sort slinking and sneaking, even in a jump... almost like he's hunched or leaning down.

The sword position bothers me too... it feels as though his right arm should be straightened and extended back, and the sword should also be trailing behind at roughly the same angle as the straightened arm. It would seem more fluid that way.

God, I hope that makes sense... I've never given "advice" to someone with more talent than me Hopefully I didn't offend... sort of new to the critique thing.

If you haven't seen Ninja Scroll, or it's a been a long time, then check out this sword fight scene... the way they hold their swords as they move is sort of what I picture your ninja should be doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQLXD4UR8s4

Oh geez, nevermind that video link too... I thought it was the fight scene between Jubei and the blind swordsman, with lots of nice movement and sword-handling.

Last edited by Prometheus09; June 5th, 2012 at 01:37 AM. Reason: duh

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Prometheus09 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doh, I responded too slow :/ Nevermind what I said lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Scorge: I'm digging the new version! Love what you did with the limbs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The final is looking great scorge, i realy like the atmosphere of the piece and that duet looks ready to kick some (can i say asses?). The history gives dimension to the image, and the image illustrates the history...personally this kind of entries are my favourites. good work.

"Nature has the coolest patterns because there is chaos but then, it's also controled" Feng Zhu, design cinema, episode 35

Web
    Sketchbook

15. The Following User Says Thank You to elephant´s stroke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's what i am working on -not quite sure i will manage to finish it since deadline coming soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.