Prometheus early reviews

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Prometheus early reviews

If anyone's seen Prometheus, and would like to share their thoughts (without spoilers of course),

please let us know if the anticipation was worth it...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Better suited for here, since we had the Avengers thread in there too: http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Just got home form seeing it, and i can say tis a pretty good flick, it keeps the red lines of tech farly close to the desgins of the first alien movie, as one se elements are similar in looks and i take the pull form that this ship they are on is a one of so tis extra fancy then the one massproduced one in alien.
    My gripes are some logics and some holes in the plot, its as i was digesting the movie i realseid how dumb they were, the writing is what i feel is the weakest link as some areas feels a bit like the one writing, as they dint know what to do.

Vissually the movie is nicely shot and kept me intrested to the end so i say do check it out if you are intrested.

I hope my rambeling in broken english made any sens.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sanny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,517 Times in 2,457 Posts
    enjoyed it a lot!
    plot didnt make sense but ill keep discussing that till everyones seen it.
    its lovely to be back in that universe though.

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; June 6th, 2012 at 09:12 AM.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Ooookay.
    so it was quite fun. didnt redefine nightmares or anything, but not Episode1 either. the wierd circle over the waterfall you saw in the trailer was cool.

but...

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSPPPPOOOOIIIILLLLLEERRRSSSSSSSSSSSSS

why did the ginger guy turn into a zombie?

so a trillion dollars.. why do you hire such a bunch of losers? the chief scientist is getting drunk while they autopsy an actual alien head. isnt he bothered? whys he so miserable?

why did archeologists lead a potentially dangerous, and certainly momentously historic space mission anyway?

why did no one at all seem to display any sense of the significance of finding an alien civilisation?

why did the human relations robot constantly adopt such a creepy, nastily sarcastic tone with all the people? id reprogram him out an airlock and just talk to the ship like in star trek.

why did same asshole robot murder the chief scientist on the mission?

if he wanted to test the black stuff, why not use a lab rat?

why didnt the scientist notice him swirl his robot finger about in the drink? why did he do that when he had the glass in his hand the whole time?

he seemed to feel no emotional response to murdering the chief scientist, or even any disquiet at the tactical folly of murdering the chief scientist. why?

why did the chief scientist not tell anyone about the alien worm in his eye, not even his girlfriend who he just boned?

why did the medical machine say no woman, you cant use me im only designed to be used by males, then let the woman use it 2 seconds later anyway?

why given the very real risk of biological contamination do they not even bother wearing facemasks when they microwave the guys head?

why does all that gross slop that falls into the gaping would in noomi rapaces belly not infect her with more octoblobs?

after that amazing abortion scene, noomi rapace doesnt seem that bothered shes just been through an unimaginable trauma when shes chatting with captain elba. why?

why did the ship have cctv holograms?
    why did they not appear in alien?

how did the cowardly tech guys get lost? they had a 3d map of the ship and were in constant contact with the prometheus.. why not call up one of the floating survey balls if theyre really lost?

where is the wreckage of the prometheus when the nostromo shows up? is this not LV426?

if it is, where the wreckage, where did the pots of black stuff go, where is the blue laser thing Cane falls through in Alien?
    if it isnt, do these Space jockeys just crash all over the place on extremely similar planets under almost identical circumstances?
    if so why doesnt Ash know how to read their language or use their machines?

whats the green crystal thing?

why was the robot impressed by the gluey stuff on the wall?

why do people wonder around so much, its like half the time theyre just drivnig about in their stupid dune buggies and an old fire engine. or going into or coming out of the room with the big head in it. just stand still idiots.

why did the alien special effects give ancient civilisations directions to a military bioweapons plant?

when were they supposed to have done this? 3000 years ago? 30000 years ago? billions of years ago at the dawn of life?

if the engineer guy at the start created life on earth, why do we clearly see trees and grass?

why did his DNA become primative organisms which over billions of years of evolution came to look almost identical to him, sort of?

if his DNA was exactly the same as ours, why wasnt he a human?

this biological stuff annoyed me because this is at least partly a nerdy science fiction film for nerds who nerd about evolution all the time.
    plus Larry Niven thought up a much cleverer way to work this plot decades ago in the Knownspace books.

what was charlize therons motivation in any of this? she decided to take 4 years out of her busy schedule as a top corporate exec to go on a mission she was totally surprised turned up a positive result?
    why not just send a drone?

the geologist zombie was outside the ship all bent round on himself. I actually liked that, it was so WTF, but why wasn't he detected inside the alien ship and all the way down the valley? when he stands up, one minute hes all contorted, then hes standing up normally as if he just been bending to tie his shoe, which would be impossible.

why did old Guy Pearce do the whole hologram pretend Im not on the ship thing? particularly when his medical machine was on display? why when people found out he was did they not seem surprised? why did the big special effect hit old Guy Pearce on the head? why did he stand there thinking about it first? why did old guy pearce need to be there in the room anyway, and not just talk through the robot from his bed?

actually legit plot question, what did David say to the big special effect?

why was the big special effect having a sleep anyway? youdve thought he'd have things to do during a massive weapons accident.

why did the aliens wait to destroy earth til now? obviously, to introduce a ticking clock element, [sloppy writing] but they couldn've done it any time in the last shitzillion years couldnt they?

why did the aliens store their fabulously dangerous bioweapon in the room adjacent to the bridge [again, sloppy writing to allow them to walk from one to the other in a single scene]

what happened to the black stuff monsters that killed the biologist for no reason and somehow made the geologist a zombie for no reason?

how did the alien know noomi rapace was on the life boat thing? how did he keep track of this while his ship was falling out of the sky?

why was none of this sorted out before the movie was edited? or after?

why did the geologist turn into a zombie?

why did the geologist turn into a zombie and attack everyone?

why?

why?

the answer is fuck you its a stupid corny action movie, there is no answer. sit back and look at the squirmy monster things. noomi rapace is amazingly attractive too like she was in the millenium movies.. bit of a shame theres not more meat on this films boneless flailing limbs though.

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; June 10th, 2012 at 03:03 PM.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yea, tons of questions. It really felt like there was about half an hour cut out of it. Im really hoping for a good directors cut in October.

Interesting read here

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1446714/...read/200177706

[url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timpaatkins For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 785 Posts
    I saw it when it first came out here, at midnight on May 31st. I'm still not quite sure how I feel about it. At first, I was very impressed with the visuals and enjoyed the momentum of the movie despite not actually enjoying the plot much. The more time I've had to consider it, the less I like it.

Quite a few scenes felt very derivative, either from Aliens itself or other movies. I'm incredibly annoyed that even trained scientists are written to act like complete idiots with no survival instinct, and the only interesting plotline (the engineers) wasn't really explored and left more as a starting point for a possible sequel. (Also, someone should really explain this to anyone going on a possibly hazardous mission: If something really big is falling on you and it's very long, run perpendicular to the object and you'll be out of it's way in no time. If you fail at this, you are a complete fucking idiot who doesn't understand basic geometry.)

I'm also curious to see the director's cut, as I'm a huge fan of Kingdom of Heaven but I understand it was incredibly disappointing in the theatrical version.

Thanks
    I'm assuming all these questions will be answered in a possible sequel...maybe.

Thing I didn't like most were the bad prosthetics (just get an old guy to act!) and that Scottish actress' delivery of her lines was....not good.

Thanks
    Here are a few initial concepts of the zombiefied Fairfly guy

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/594/fiefie13.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/708/fiefie11.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/18/fiefie10.jpg/

One thing is for damn sure, the Art of book is going to be a must have, as is the DVD with all the extra material and hopefully added footage.

Last edited by timpaatkins; June 9th, 2012 at 08:18 AM.
    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

Thanks
    All the really cool things like the pyramid and the space jockey chair and the derelict were designed in 1979 by Giger.
    The ship was meh. The landscape looked like Earth with some lens filters.
    The suits, again meh. especially as they had their cool fishbowl helmets off all the time, inexplicably disregarding even the most basic biosecurity protocols.
    I did like the octoblob thing but it was really just a squid.

As for the directors cut, I agree this movie felt like it had big bits chopped out.
    But considering Scott is such a name now I'm surprised he had to give into the same studio pressures he did in 1980... surely his say would mean a lot more now and his theatrical release would be as he intended?
    At 124 minutes it was actually quite long, but another 10 minutes in 30 second slices that help scenes remain in some way coherent wouldnt have added many sore bums

EDIT Ah I see, Scott reckoned shutting out teenagers with an 18 rating would have cost $80million.
    But there will not be a DVD Directors cut. So there you go.

Overall, Pitch Black was a much better movie, and that had fucking Vin Diesel in it.

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; June 9th, 2012 at 10:11 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    why did the ginger guy turn into a zombie?
    Oh. I thought that was Holloway.

Anyway, why shouldn't he? Looks like he got a much bigger dose of the black stuff than Holloway did. I doubt all his cells would've died the instant his space helmet melted onto his face, and look how fast that snake-thing healed when it's head was cut off. (Along with the octoblob, that was the bit that freaked me out the most.)

where is the wreckage of the prometheus when the nostromo shows up? is this not LV426?
    No. It's LV223.

Everything else though. Er, yeah. Good questions.

Quote Originally Posted by dierat View Post
    (Also, someone should really explain this to anyone going on a possibly hazardous mission: If something really big is falling on you and it's very long, run perpendicular to the object and you'll be out of it's way in no time. If you fail at this, you are a complete fucking idiot who doesn't understand basic geometry.)
    I admit I didn't think about most of the stuff VK mentioned (First time round. Ooh shiny effects.), but that bit had me facepalming!

...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    But there will not be a DVD Directors cut. So there you go.
    Then I'm officially disappointed. At least it's not as bad as Robin Hood; that was seriously fucking wretched.

Thanks
    I think there will be a special edition for sure. Ridley Scott cant very likely say "Yea, the REAL movie will come out in October"

Dont forget, as late as Kingdom Of Heaven he made a Dir cut, and Gladiator,so chances are he will do the same with this, even though he cant say it, because people might opt no to go to the cinema. He WANTED to release the movie with an 18 cert, but as you showed,it would have been too expensive. But when it comes to DVDs its a different matter. The Studios want money, and even Ridley has to conform to that. Thats one reason why Del Toros At the Mountains of madness was axed. He insisted on 18, and the studio wouldn't have it. Del Toro has also said that his ATMOM would be very similar to Prometheus, even down to particular scenes, so he opted out of it in the end. Studios control the money and have final say, even with people like Scott and Del Toro.

If you stayed to the end there was massive Weiland logo with a date (101112) and a website adress. We are all hoping this will be the release date for a jam packed special edition BlueRay.

Thanks
    Here's a really neat review from Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comme..._and_analysed/ It's a pretty well-explained interpretation, very interesting.

Thanks
    I would really enjoy a redlettermedia/plinkett review of this

Last edited by timpaatkins; June 12th, 2012 at 09:25 AM.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timpaatkins For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    It was certainly a good looking movie. I don't know if anything could've lived up to the ideals I had cemented in my head for so long after being such a huge fan of Alien.

I have one huge gripe that is not just isolated to this film. I've come to absolutely hate when characters who are supposed to be scientist say incredibly stupid things or misuse their own terminology. Or worse, dumb down a scientific premise to a point where it's insultingly patronizing. I cringed when their biologist said "undoing three hundred years of Darwinism?." I've never heard the word "Darwinism" used by anyone except by someone who doesn't believe in evolution. "Darwinism" is how you say it if you want to sound condescending and write off evolutionary theory as a philosophical "ism." This establishes this character as a shitty, scientifically illiterate biologist. Leave it up to humanity's shittiest biologist to be spooked by the remains of a long dead dead alien and to then be the first one to crouch down and pet the hissing face-raping worm.

He and the Mohawk guy were like the Scooby Doo and Shaggy of the bunch anyway. I was waiting for one of them to comically leap into the other's arms and say "G-G-G-Ghost!" while moving eyes watch them from behind a painting.

Last edited by N D Hill; June 11th, 2012 at 02:01 PM.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N D Hill For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks
    from Empire

" Early on we glimpse beneath the exoskeleton — sorry, spacesuit — and the Space Jockey — sorry, Engineer — turns out to be a overly-pumped bald bloke with dead-eyes who has no dialogue and punches people across the room. So basically they’ve spent two years in cryo to discover that God is Jason Statham."

chortle!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by timpaatkins View Post
    It really felt like there was about half an hour cut out of it.
    That was almost exactly what I said walking out of it.

The first half is great, the second felt kinda clipped and rushed to me.

I know Ridley said "No directors cut" but I don't believe him because..
    -Ridley Scott, 15 Directors cuts of ..everything..
    I'm really hoping we have a "Kingdom of Heaven" thing going on here..
    I'm a huge fan of Kingdom of Heaven but I understand it was incredibly disappointing in the theatrical version.
    The Theatrical version is a different movie, that made no sense.

I dunno, I think I'd like to see it again to sit down and think about it a bit, but my initial impression was that it was a disapointing but visually spectacular mess.
    I feel the inevitable sequel will be way cooler.

Note to Hollywood Trailer People.. Do not show me the end of the film in the trailer. This is a bad idea and I can't be the only person annoyed by that.

I honestly wanted this to be amazing, it just isn't.
    I suppose, the flipside is that Prometheus is the best scifi film I've seen for years but that's more a reflection on how Hollywood doesn't like scifi any more.

But it's not all moaning. After Prometheus, we decided to go see the Avengers. We'd missed the train by 3 minutes and Avengers was starting in exactly the time it would take to walk to Tesco, buy a sandwich, then smoke a cigarette, so lets do that..

Avengers is kinda awesome.
    I enjoyed it, but part of my brain wished that I could have taken 10 year old me to see it. He would have spent the entire movie vibrating softly, while jumping up and down, clapping his hands and not really understanding anything.
    The last half hour, 10 year old me would have either, literally, shit his pants or just burst into flames at all the awesomeness.
    I liked "Avengers" a lot and I have nothing bad to say about it.

I'm glad I watched Prometheus first..

Last edited by Flake; June 11th, 2012 at 08:58 AM.

Thanks
    SPOILERS

I think Ridley Scott saying "no directors cut" is down to a question of semantics, just like when he said "no alien", hes almost like a politician, speaking vaguely to not give anything away, but not being tied down by any of his responses.

In an interview he stated every film he releases is a "directors cut", because he has final say. The first cut of Prom was 3 hours, and the studio wanted it down to under 2. But its still Ridley who edited it, so essentially he cut a bunch of stuff out to keep it under 2 hours, but its still HIS cut, thus technically still a "directors cut". He never said anything about not releasing a "Special edition", now did he? he aoso said the theatrical release of Alien was his favourite, and he did the dir cur "for the fans"
    Im positive there will be a Special Uncut Edition with tons of added footage. Ridley, together with Peter J and Cameron and Lucas make great Blu Ray releases. An Im also positive there will be at least one sequel to this. Why elses would they make such a point of Shaw saving Davids body, if they arent setting that up for the sequel? Something is going to be revealed on 101112 (if you saw the very last frame youll know what I mean)
    but if not here is a link, with new viral material being releases AFTER the films premiere.
    http://www.totalfilm.com/news/promet...b+aggregate%29
    How often does that happen? I think Scott has grand plans for this. It deals with some very interesting topic, and Im suspecting he wants this to be the film series he wants to be remembered for, something that deals with theologial issues. The message boards are alive andkicking on Imdb, not many films had that, The Matrix, 2001, Apocalypse now,and a few morehave that, where people are confused and actively discuss the meaning of the films! We are reacting how he wants us to react.

Last edited by timpaatkins; June 11th, 2012 at 11:24 AM.

Thanks
    A sequel..
    its like buying a Playstation 4 and finding the box empty, and if maybe enough other people buy the empty box, you might get a PS4. If youre lucky.
    The fact that it would have Damon Pissed Lost and now Alien Down His Leg Lindelof behind it doesnt make me feel good about it either.

I think with a bit of reordering some scenes you could help Prometheus a lot.
    For example, put the abortion bit at the end, while the Space Jockey is (inexplicably) homing in on Noomi Rapace, so adding some kind of tension to the otherwise totally arbitrary ticking clock element.
    Of course, if Idve been the space jockey, Idve taken off again in one of the spare ships and left Rapace to die in hours, while I blew up the earth, but thats just me..

Overall, the story of Prometheus seem to be one of incompetence:

Fifield was so incompetent even though he has just mapped the ship with his pups, he gets lost.

The biologist guy was incompetent enough to instantly get killed the moment he meets some exobiology.

David was incompetent murdering the missions cheif scientist and unleashing a terrifying bio weapon on his own ship for no reason.

Weyland was incompetent for making David such a nutter, leaving Vickers in charge and for going into the space jockey ship in person.

Holloway was incompetent for not being any good as a scientist at all and not telling anyone about his infection.

Noomi Rapace was incompetent for bring them to a giant trap which killed them all.

Miss Vickers/Weyland was incompetent hiring idiots off the street for her trillion $ space mission. (She shouldve used a crew of the company's elite experts and AIs. And contrasted them a crew of grunts to provide the humanity and humour. By the end the officers and the grunts become allies, even friends, like Vasquez and Gorman and-) And she shoudlve sent them off and taken over Waylands empire in his absense....and shes a robot! that wouldve been cool.

Captain Elba was incompetent by going off to fuck Vickers while he really should be on the bridge of his ship.
    His pilots were incompetent in killing themselves but leaving the space jockey completely unharmed.

The Space Jockeys were incompetent for accidentally crashing at least two of their weapons ships.

Lindelof was incompetent writing such a stinker.

Scott was incompetent hiring Lindelof.

The effects were good though. Those guys did an amazing job. And it was great to be back in that universe again (sort of). So great.

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; June 11th, 2012 at 04:09 PM.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Velocity Kendall, i fully agre with all you say, as i read it it all came back and mreo dumber it looks, and to say the writing is the weakest part, and being done by a claiemd award winning writer, apernetly he had braindamage when he write this... or maybe he donsent evne know how to look upp stuff or know how a human acts.

actually reaing upp they ahd to reshoot a entier scene and cust some to get a PG rating withte movie studio pushed for.

***Spoilers***
    then again the entier movie speaks agaisnt itself early as if aliens made us as seen in frist scene then how did humans know of the planat stars as they enver hint on they ever returning, matter in fact they sugest that they plan to erace the misstake of live started.
    Allso what was it that killed all thsoe creatrues, what were they running away form?... That i allwasy wonderd and never got answerd.

heck it was mroe satesfying solution fo quiz in the book clone with stars ina big riddle and ends with a riddle.

but yes and im no writer and i can easy se how ithsi can be made difrent as given the acters better script to work on... and when i think about it, havet any acter ever in a movie readin this? i mean thinking about it all i seen far to manny modern movies where all characters are compelte demented retards?

As for the helmets, i bet the exuse is "want to se the acters faces" but they have fishbolw helmets we se ther faces even.

Case in point= zombie movies why do everyone run around in cotton tshirts? they cant even protect your body if somone stab you with a spork.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Sanny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    exactly!

hey if you like the whole ancient aliens thing check out Protector and Ringworld by Larry Niven, he does a pretty good job of making something scientifically ridiculous sound pretty plausible, and Ringworld in particular is such a fun ride.

its got tonnes of crazy ideas, memorable, intelligent characters, AWESOME tech and stunning locations. a proper science fiction blockbuster.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,251 Times in 395 Posts
    I`d just like to add following -

"Yo, Vickers! Left! Right! Not nuclear physics, you know!"

Gosh...for a big shot CEO that was pretty stupid. Even I know there is left and right, tho I confuse and mix them all the time.
    But still...!

Thanks
    ill actually give super bad judgements in the face of terrifying destruction a pass, its kind of convincingly human you know? like the people running down the street in Independence Day, or anything on Efukt.

On the other hand a culture that can fabricate machines as convincingly self-aware as David should also be able to make a suit that takes over in emergencies. Or just turn into diamond and let the ship just roll over it for that matter. One that note it was surprising Prometheus didn't blow up like the Atmosphere Processor wasnt it? Youd think smashing a fully powered up FTL capable spaceship to bits would set the whole continent on fire.

If id been Ridley Scott, instead of being the internet nobody that I am, Idve got David Chase from the Sopranos, or Micheal Weiner from the Sopranos and Mad Men, to write me some stuff. Imagine that for a while, I do, and its fucking great. Interesting, subtle stories about the troubles of the human heart, that happens to be set in the future.

Till Im king and I force them all to do this, I advise watching all the classic Otomo anime again. Not just Akira, but that really awesome Condradian one about the giant pointless factory in the jungle, and Magnetic Rose, and Roujin-Z.
    All got good convincing characters, amazing design and good solid SF stories.
    Copyright douchebags have removed them all from youtube but left this funny slice of slapstick apocalypse.

and this uniquely Japanese take on Heart of Darkness

Last edited by Velocity Kendall; June 11th, 2012 at 06:21 PM.

Thanks
    I think part of the problem was how it was shot. If it were an upward angle that emphasized how terrifying it was and how hard it was to see which direction to go while fleeing this enormous fucking object, it would be easier for the viewer to sympathize with her even when making a mistake. But the zoomed out downward shot was like the director saying to the audience, "LOL, what a fucking idiot! She keeps running but she's still right under it!" And the fact that the other girl easily sees the obvious solution and goes for it while Vickers just runs on like a moron doesn't help.

What really annoys me is with that death and the biologist trying to tame the wild penis snake, they could easily have made the characters attempt to make a smart decision and still be killed.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Extended version will be about half an hour longer apparently..

http://collider.com/ridley-scott-pro...erview/172202/

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    It wasn't as bad as I expected. From what I heard from Scott in interviews, he didn't really focus on the literal. He was retelling the story of Prometheus and the consequences through loose sci-fi and wasn't really concerned with a air-tight plot. That and Damon Lindelof isn't the best guy for a project like this.

I enjoyed every scene with an engineer. I'd rather the movie been about them. I especially enjoyed the scene with the engineer and the squiddy diddy. All the humans were unlikable. David brought up some good points and I understand why he did what he did even though it was a dick move too. It's funny that he ended up being an asshole after the snark about not wanting to be too much like a human. But he spent all his spare time trying to understand humans and their origin (learning all the ancient languages and their roots), and was treated as if he had no business being curious.

The most stupid comment goes to the "biologist" who referred to abiogenesis as Darwinism. And it's really really stupid because humans weren't actually created in the movie, the engineer's DNA was broken down to the building blocks of life which had to...EVOLVE...to single and then multiple celled life. And then those primitive life forms would have to evolve. Which brings me to my next point, mutation. Our DNA wouldn't be a 100% match. We'd see common ancestry with the engineers.

But alas, as I said, that's not the point of the movie. It's about creating life, honoring it through sacrifice and the dangers of using science to disgrace life by prolonging it past it's due date.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

40. The Following User Says Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by s.ketch View Post
    The most stupid comment goes to the "biologist" who referred to abiogenesis as Darwinism.
    I disagree about it being stupid to mention Darwin, Darwin did talk about abiogenesis, he wrote of a "warm little pond" of chemicals. And the movie was clearly about humans being created specially in a very creationist, and very stupid "ancient astronauts" "chariots of the gods" way.
    I thought the dumbest line was probably when Holloway said that the "galactic configuration" contained a sun...... it's like saying that a desert dune configuration contained a grain of sand. the writers clearly didn't understand what galaxies are.

Last edited by gjpetch; June 12th, 2012 at 07:59 AM.

Thanks
    They have to use language that the audience will understand. People dont know exactly what Darwinism entails, but it gets the general idea of what they were talking about without having to go in to it for 5 min.

great news, info on the extended cut from the man himself is that it will be about 20 min longar, and not only that, but the bluray will have 30 min of deleted scenes!

http://collider.com/ridley-scott-pro...erview/172202/

Last edited by timpaatkins; June 12th, 2012 at 06:44 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.