Alter Ego (Character Concepts)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Alter Ego (Character Concepts)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Alter Ego (Character Concepts)

I'd appreciate any sort of critique on this, where it be in the design itself,
    or anatomy, form, value etc.

Even if you just take a look without commenting, thank you

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    What's the premise for these character designs? Also check the proportions on the warlock guy, his legs are too short.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks nice, but thats not why I'm here

A detail, while mentioning the right and left side, its from our perspective.

General proportions: The one to the right is 537 pixels high and his head is 71 pixels, for a length of 7.5 heads, so, thats as it should be. The one to the left is 533 pixels high and its head is 81 pixels high, hair not withstanding, for a length of 6.5 heads, also within reason. So far so good.

Head: Eyes, nose and mouth looks good, however the ears looks a little displaced to me, a bit to far back I think. Also, the right ones head-position looks uncomfortable.

Arms: Upper arms might be a bit short, not certain on account of the angles and body-armor.

Torso: A ok for me.

Legs: The right ones legs looks very much to short, either that or his crotch is painfully high up. The left ones left leg seems a bit like he is striking a pose rather than actually standing like that.

Feet: the left ones legs looks to short, but its hard to tell on account of the angle.

Hands: Looks good, although where the right ones left hand connects to his arm should be a bit more... bumpy

All in all, looks good, keep up the good work

You can find my drawing blog here

It's mainly a blog about how I develop as an artist, but I post my exercises and how to's on it as well, so if that interests you than take a look.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Meijer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tiny Bird, there wasn't really any premise, I just made it up as I went along.
    I agree, his legs are too short.

Tony Meijer, Thanks for the awesome crit, I'll definitely be working on all
    those areas.

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by si3g View Post
    Tiny Bird, there wasn't really any premise, I just made it up as I went along.
    Well, that would probably help, so you could do actual design decisions based on what you need to show. Without a premise it's harder to say whether or not you succeeded making the character design show what it should.
    There's character generators that you can to practice this: http://itscharacterdriven.blogspot.com/

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Well, that would probably help, so you could do actual design decisions based on what you need to show. Without a premise it's harder to say whether or not you succeeded making the character design show what it should.
    There's character generators that you can to practice this: http://itscharacterdriven.blogspot.com/
    True...
    I better go check that generator out. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The first guy is falling over. There is actually nothing preventing him from just tipping over to the left. His legs lean left. His body leans left. Even his heavy polearm, which he could have been leaning against, is also dragging him to the left. It looks like you wanted to draw a bent leg and then suddenly realized "shit, I need a dirt pile there so the leg isn't hovering in midair." That never works.

Ref your poses, people are very sensitive to body language. A boring neutral pose is way better for showing off a design than a more exciting pose that doesn't come off right.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    The first guy is falling over. There is actually nothing preventing him from just tipping over to the left. His legs lean left. His body leans left. Even his heavy polearm, which he could have been leaning against, is also dragging him to the left. It looks like you wanted to draw a bent leg and then suddenly realized "shit, I need a dirt pile there so the leg isn't hovering in midair." That never works.

Ref your poses, people are very sensitive to body language. A boring neutral pose is way better for showing off a design than a more exciting pose that doesn't come off right.
    I appreciate the crit. I'll be working hard on my poses, thanks.

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Along with what the others said I feel their expressions with their body language reads slightly odd.

My impression of what they are thinking.

Accountant guy - I'm not sure if I should have worn this to the office. People are staring. Maybe a tie would help.

Other guy - I think my wonderful cod piece just ate my dick. Fuck! No wait, I can't ...

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Black Spot - just because I put this piece up for critique, doesn't mean you have to insult me.

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't mean to. I was expressing an opinion on their expressions. You may not like it, but those were the first thoughts I had when I saw them and first impressions do last.

I actually like the belt/cod piece.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Black Spot - Alright, well at least next time I'll look a lot more critically at my poses, and your comment, will always be at the back of my mind

Thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.