Sketchbook: Newman's Sketch Emporium
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Newman's Sketch Emporium

Newman101 is offline The destroyer of assorted cheese wedges Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Newman's Sketch Emporium

Hello everyone. Long time no see. I've been away for quite a while. I've gotten a job which sucks all of my creative energy away and I've been letting it for too long! I'm here to fight back and get back in the groove of things.

Its really hard for me, at the moment, to get myself motivated to do anything constructive so I'm hoping you guys will give me some constructive crits and a good helping of motivation to keep going!

Anyways. Time for the first dump of this sketch book which I will do my best to update daily!

Thanks in advance! :3

(For those who want to know, I'm using Sketchbook Pro)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Newman101; June 8th, 2012 at 12:55 AM. Reason: updating cover picture
    *New Sketchbook* Come stop by :3

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

I am currently looking for a mentor to help me improve my sketch book. Either that or lots of crits and suggestions to help me improve my skills.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Newman101 is offline The destroyer of assorted cheese wedges Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Adding a little bit of color. Need to work on landscapes a bit

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

I am currently looking for a mentor to help me improve my sketch book. Either that or lots of crits and suggestions to help me improve my skills.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the landscape is hardly understandable due the lack of detail but i manage to imagine one of the regions of WoW xD as for the rest i liked the vent leg hog thug it is a really original design and its pretty well created... well.. all i can say is that you need more practice in color and detail i see you have problems with the faces it is better off to start drawing using reference pictures like im doing, then when you draw a image from your mind it kinda pops out better

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketch line quality. Keep going!

Behind every great master is a great student...

Imagination is more important than knowledge- Albert Einstein...
    _________
    NEW SKETCHBOOK -- http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...40#post3743640

OLD SKETCHBOOK: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...25#post2543225

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ulfer Thanks for stopping by. That landscape thing was about 30-45 minutes of me messing around with it and I agree it is definitely rough. And I know I need to work on my coloring a... Alot. But thats why I'm here. To learn. Thanks again and keep coming by. I promise you wont be disappointed

poetry man Thanks for stopping by! There's quite a lot more sketches to be seen out of me!

To start, for today, I've got some Bridgeman studies. I'm currently going through his 'Human Machine' book doing at least a few studies of each of his examples. These are (mostly) copied directly from the book.

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick update. These are my gestures from my life drawing 'lesson' I'm doing tonight from pixelovley. These range from 30 sec to eleven minutes.

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thirty minute pose! not too happy with this one. But its just a study. Now, time for sleep. Work tomorrow.

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good pictures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today at work sucked no time, even on my break, to do any drawing. So I did some extra gestures before starting my lifedrawing tonight. Hope you all enjoy!

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    30 Minute pose! I actually am really happy with this one. :3

Last edited by Newman101; May 30th, 2012 at 11:57 PM.

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tired... long day.. My brain is fried... Still, I'm here to do my daily life drawings from photos. If I have any energy left by the time the hour session is up I'll do more.

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woo arting in Panera today. Lots of fun ^,^' Got out of work a bit early and decided to spend a few hours 'having lunch' Drawings of people around me and some Bridgeman studies.

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have two days off this weekend... Amazing! :o So, I'm spending as much time as I can spare to doing some studies, sketches and just working on my stuff in general. Gonna be a few more updates after this one!

This was my start to the day, ten minutes a piece, some came out well, some not so much. Moving forward though all the time

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Taking a break from studies and working on a character design. Just some sketches to figure out what the character will be like. :3

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So today I'm doing a 3 hour trainer. This post is all the sketches I've got from 1 min -30 min. I don't think I'm going to upload anymore of the 30 second gestures simply because ... well they're nothing really worth posting. Just more of a warmup type of thing.

Enjoy

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This next one is an one half hour and one hour study. The drapery on the hour one was really giving me trouble. You probly wouldnt know it just by looking at it but I spend most of my time working on that lol. Ahh well. More to come soon!

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Experimenting with lights and a weird headed creature. Having fun :3

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Updating. Not sure if I'm going to push this one any further. Not right now anyways.

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Can't tell if your using smudge tool or not. But the colors are a bit muddy. Try simplifying your values a bit to sharpen things up. Gestures are good, grabs the main action well, I'd just try cleaning things up a little bit. Keep your gestures on one layer then try making every line count over top of them on another layer. I love to scribble myself, trying to force myself to simplify with less use of line. Very difficult.

Last one looks good!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh My God, this is going to be a long week Three hours OT yesterday, no time to draw. Half an hour today... Doing a double session of the lifedrawing studies! And I have surgery on thursday >,< This week is going to suck, but I'm sticking with the studies and will continue my progress to pseudo greatness!

More to come tonight. This is only the first round :3

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JFierce - Thanks for stopping by! ... no I am not using a smudge brush. The program I'm using doesn't even HAVE a smudge brush. I'm really not sure how to sharpen my edges with the tools at my disposal, but its something I'm working on. Be sure to check back in though. I'm sure you'll see me figure it out eventually

Woo. so this one was an hour. My opinion of this one is quickly going sour. Still, I'm starting to figure out how to use my tablet again. I've been using nothing but my sketch book for so long.... Ahh well, enjoy and let me know what you think!

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep it up man! on the right track you are!

just missing some colors, this sb seems too monochrome for me so far

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Aragah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aargah - Thanks for the encouragement! Yes, I do lack color... Color is definitely not my strong point. But I am trying to work it in bit by bit. Especially in the longer poses. Keep coming back and you will see it ^.^

Now, for the 1 - 10 minute poses from tonight. The 30 minute is coming shortly :3

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thirty minute pose. Not sure if I like it or not... Maybe youll help me decide?

Tomorrow is going to be interesting. We'll see if I actually get anything done. If nothing else I'll have something to scan in from my sketchbook tomorrow.

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doing some line art. This has taken me longer than it should have... So far. gonna clean it up a bit then I will work on coloring I think.

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man, I made the mistake of saving over the last post with one of my study drawing files >,< I guess I will have to start that one over. Ahh well. Heres my 1-10 minute studies from this evening...

Thats what I get for starting so late and slacking all day D':

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Half hour pose... If it werent 1 am Id do more... Tomorrow I shall do more! I declare... Maybe even that 6 hour trainer... who knows. :3

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sooo.. I'm doing the six hour trainer :3 Its going well so far. About an hour and half into it. These are the poses from 5-30 minutes. Trying to add color too! funfunfunfunfun

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you seem to have a better understanding of tone than i,

i like your muscle drawings, did you do them from reference? did you find they help alot?

i like the goblin, it shows an understanding of 3d space that i cant seem to get my head around at base level

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Brave-New-World For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Brave-New-World Thanks for stopping by! I've done almost nothing but black and white stuff for the longest of time. I'm actually just recently trying to get back into the color painting stuff. In that time I've found my tone has greatly improved.

The muscle studies were all done from the book "The Human Machine" by George Bridgeman. It has helped quite a bit for my proportions in my life drawing and all around in my creative work.

Top one is half an hour bottom one is an hour.. Time for dinner then more work!

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2