Thanks

Anime or not?(new pics added)

people think my style is anime I'm trying to change that. so is it? C&C please.
    Last edited by I0N; June 2nd, 2004 at 08:13 PM.
    bad is good and good is only okay...

Website
    Sketchbook

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I wouldn't say so, though it is quite cartoony.

Thanks
    Yeah more cartoonish, or comic book feel, even if it looks anime or not, why change a style you've been developing? I like your picture is she a boxer, or a fighter?
    "If you only heard one side of the story, then you must be deaf in the other ear." - Sok N. Wett

Sok's Sketchbook Thread Last Updated November 25

Thanks
    sok n. wett- shes a street fighter always lookin for a fight she hardly gives her self time to heal from injurys so she never really removes her bandages. not pictured her legs are bandaged aswell. theres more to her but I tire of typeing.(I'm lazy )

Website
    Sketchbook

Thanks

Lightbulb

Does it matter? Draw the way that makes you happy.

Thanks
    joshuathejames- you are so right!...but this dosent make me happy (well maybe a little) I just want to grow as an artist, you know what I mean?

Website
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Master what the old masters have. Then you will have a greater range to work within.

Good Luck Bro...

-Joshua

Thanks
    I say "screw people". If anime is your thing, develop it further. There is nothing wrong with expanding your artwork, but stick to what you know.

Anyway, I love the picture! I haven't seen any of your other work, but this picture doesn't look anime-ish to me.

Good Job to you!!

Thanks
    joshuathejames- thanks for the luck, I can feel it enpowering me! by the way I have a brother named joshua

drawnblud-I most definately will not forget my anime style I just want a style all my own. If you want to check my other stuff out I got another thread on the sketches and Ideas section...you could be the first to post a reply. glad you like the pic

Website
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Sometimes people work really hard to follow an existing style, and often for very good reason (like to be able to eat). There's nothing wrong with that, but you can't assume anime is "his thing" just because he's been doing it for a long time and/or is good at it. He's saying he wants to change, and I take him at face value on that. He's not saying there's anything wrong with anime, so let's try not to be defensive.

To the point at hand, I agree this drawing does not look anime, but it still does look like a colored line drawing. Is that what you want, or are you trying to move to more of a painterly style? I would not say it's "cartoony", really.

Thanks
    Yeah, it is pursuing your own interest. If you don't like anime--and you try to avoid any style-relation--then you should try some other styles out. Try drawing realistically with... apples, or some fruit. Maybe the two styles will merge? If you're a budding artist, your styles are probably constantly changing. Just continue drawing how you draw; it' almost like an extension of yourself. You might be surprised how it'll gradually change.

Thanks
    chris- yes I would like to get into the Painter style, and I know I can...if I had time. you see I have to use the scanner and wacom and photoshop at school to get my stuff up on the site. I dont have any of this stuff at home. but ultimately I would like my style to be somewhere between this and... you know what I'm not even sure how I want it to look. eh aslong as people can associate my drawings with me...and I like what they say

myridian-I'm not a new artist (been drawing since I was in the womb) and I can draw pretty realisticly when I want and use reference but I feel that it is too much work for something that usually dosent show the character I want to portray.

everyone-Overall I want a more stylized style. lines with more energy than I have now and a more fluid look. it'll just take time and some help from C.A. can anyone suggest some artist to look at that may seem like they fit my discription? ay yo! it dosent hurt to say if you like it or not
    Last edited by I0N; June 3rd, 2004 at 09:18 PM.

Website
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    some of my stuff from my past. at the time I had zero life drawing classes(I'm basically self taught) till I came to AIOC,so yes there are lots of anotomy issues,I see them. but if it makes you feel better go ahead and point them out and if anyone wants to post up their work to show how they changed that would be cool
    and a little more realistic
    Last edited by I0N; June 12th, 2004 at 07:52 PM.

Website
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    One more old piece of...

If your tired of my old stuff don't worry this is it! I mean I have more but they're just my comics (the melting pot) and some character concepts that I am still working on etc. nothing but new stuff from now on!... unless I redraw old stuff heh!

Website
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    I like it. Definatly see some anime influence, but as long as its not Fist of the North Star, I don't think you have a problem.:p

Thanks
    It seems that your characters have this bottom-heavy feel. The hips are prolly a bit too large. As for a personal style, maybe you can explore a different way of drawing eyes. They are one of the focal points of a character, after all.
    ...+1 exp

Thanks
    hey thanks for the crit! I never really noticed the bottom heaviness. as for the big hips thats actually part by choice and part because I do that without realizing some times. (and I like that in a woman whoa! too much info)

and to make things clear every character besides the top one is old news. some a little more than a year others half a year or so. most of the time I just sketch and toss them so I dont have much to show. I think I'm going to start saving my sketches though cuz now that I think of it, if I dont see my stuff how can I know if I'm improving...

Website
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    it looks to me as european as japanese.. so dont worry, drawng quality doesnt recognize styles! very smooth poses btw!
    Xavier Garcia - Concept Artist

Website Twitter Tumblr

Thanks
    I would have to agree its anime infulenced but not anime in totality, you could always try and do a "Mucha" styled image or two and see if that helps you move away from anime if your worried about it.
    I like that your females are actually proportionate and not the anime style of female.
    I'd like to see more.
    keep it up.
    [:middle class:]

Thanks
    i can see somewhat of an anime influence within the pictures, but it doesn't completly appear to be of that style.

Ion, I noticed you within the boards and you come off as a cool person. Your work is interesting and I see a lot of potential within it. I feel that in a sense though, you're stuck with little to work with. Experiment with different styles, use different mediums, and look up some (non)professional artists to see if anything strikes out to you.

I'll be on the look at for it man and keep posting, you give good feedback to these topics.
    "You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else." - Tyler Durden

Thanks
    thanks guys!:chug:

jrandal- what the heck is a mucha... oh I get it like mucha lucha the wrestling kids, yeah I love that richochet he's the best!... no really whats a mucha?

gr8t100- I am soo stuck! got any non"pro" artist you can recommend? and as for the comment about me coming off as a cool person is because... I AM!

Website
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    For the unprofessional artists, it's all based upon forums like these, or featured artist within art-related magazines. Some professionals that come to my mind are people like ralph steadman (fear & loathing) , jamie hewlett (gorillaz artist), and skribble studios. They all have websites and info regarding their work and career, hit it up if you get the chance.

I'm studying Graphic Design at the Ai as well, in Phx. Az., so it's all on what you're into I suppose.
    "You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else." - Tyler Durden

Thanks
    Hey man...Seems me and you are in a similair position with anime, though I'm quite happy with an anime style. I just want to learn some more realism and anatomy, to help improbve my anime, and cartooning as well as other art types. Still you're an excellent artist!