Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Everyone else hid under your bed, so I'm in your closet.
    Thanks

♫ I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts dee dee... ♬

Thumbnail, please ignore:
    Name:  thumb2.png
Views: 520
Size:  214.8 KB

I finally worked up the courage to post here.

Not all of these are very recent, but I'll post 'em just so I have something up here o.- :

I used multiple (poor quality)photos of the same person to construct this face. I dunno why my sketches of people always turn out too cartoony though .

This is actually supposed to be my sister, I forgot I drew this. The likeness is pretty good actually.

Something I drew like 2 years ago with tons of reference(including the pose at the top). I had intended to make a finished piece, but I'd rather study more instead of making a bunch of crappy "finished" works.

I don't remember what I was doing here, but the original file is called "FacialPartsStudy.sai" so yeah...

The bottom left was a study, the rest are just random sketches from my head(including the bottom right eye).

Probably my most recent sketch, it's actually a study of one of Sycra's(from YouTube) old videos. I'm not sure if the hair makes any sense the way I did it.
    Last edited by Ambiguity; May 28th, 2014 at 09:39 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    that's good step to make your own sketchbook, sharing your experience with CA members

keep it up and welcome in CA world

Qlotzan

Thanks
    Thanks for the warm welcome .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,238 Times in 798 Posts
    I wonder if the reason your drawings feel 'cartoony' is because you're focusing almost exclusively on the prominent features of the face and have very little structure or form to the face itself. The most recent drawing, of Sycra, is a step in the right direction because there you're obviously thinking about the sockets in which the eyes are placed and the plane on the side of the nose that connects with the cheek. Try to think of the face as a 3-dimensional object made up of planes, not a flat 2-dimensional shape with some floating features on it. A little like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/garysev...7602588651653/ Keep practicing, and keep posting!

Thanks
    Oh hey, I expected this sketchbook to have gone to the CA abyss never to be seen again by now hehe. Thanks for commenting.

I really do want to draw more often, my room is just so cluttered I can't concentrate(cluttered room = cluttered brain). I suppose I should put my physical sketchbook in a place that's easy to reach like my guitar.

On the subject of "cartooniness"(can't think of a real word for this lol), I guess shading would help, I usually leave things at the line drawing stage and call it cooked.

.:Edit:.
    A quick study of an unborn baby's skull:
    Attachment 1493734
    It's really hard to check myself against the reference when I have to look up at it instead of it being right next to the sketch like in Photoshop.
    Last edited by Ambiguity; June 5th, 2012 at 01:01 AM.
    My Sketchbook Feel free to drop in and offer advice

Thanks
    I spent 3 hours on this so I dunno if you'd call it a study anymore. It's just not right, but whatever
    Attachment 1494236:

Thanks
    Yeah it's still a study; time doesn't matter. Overall it's very good, there are just some minor misplacements here and there but they don't really affect the overall structure. I do think, however, that you could push the value more and emphasize the sense of light by darkening the neck and exaggerating the light on the left side of the face just a touch. It's pretty subtle in the original photo, so you really have to look for it, but it's there.

Quick paint-over:

Attachment 1494324

Thanks
    The ref was pretty hard to work with because of the lighting, it feels very diffused(although that drop shadow on the table suggests otherwise). I'm guessing there are at least two light sources since both sides appear to be lit.

I still cringe at my inaccuracy, but at least it doesn't feel very disproportionate somehow, although if this was a real person my painting wouldn't look like him .

Thanks
    Nice head study, keep it up. Light and shadow is one of the best way to study painting. Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougbot

Dougbot, "Are you calling me fat? Really? How come?"
    Most recent work
    How to draw and paint *WARNING: You have been warned!*
    Youtube.com/xiataptara Video process and tuts

11. The Following User Says Thank You to xia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Xia, it's a pleasant surprise seeing you comment in here. Thanks for the advice too, I'll try my best .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    The head studies definitely the right direction to go. Observational drawings in general are how you really up your skill level. Once you attain a certain level of observational drawing and start doing people for instance that transfers over to the work from imagination more. Because your mind already has some things to use instead of trying to make it up as it goes along.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well said mate, and that's definitely the plan. Now I just gotta stay motivated hehe.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ambiguity View Post
    The ref was pretty hard to work with because of the lighting, it feels very diffused(although that drop shadow on the table suggests otherwise). I'm guessing there are at least two light sources since both sides appear to be lit.
    Exactly. It's so much easier and you learn more from it if the object has a single light source, but since you don't have the object yourself to light as you want, we have to make due with other people's photos. Another thing you can do it self portraits if you have a mirror and your own space to work in where you can set up a single light on yourself and work from that. It's hard at first to get past the likeness barrier (obsessing over whether it looks like you or not), but the practice can teach you tons. In any case, whatever studies you choose to do, keep up the good work! ^^

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Not sure why I chose to sketch in blue...

Anyways, I did some skull studies for proportion reasons so they aren't super detailed:
    Attachment 1509593
    I realized just how well divided most heads are after doing this. That's something that I've heard talked about before by many other artists, but it didn't hammer home until I actually did studies myself.

This also made me realize how much I need to work on controlling my lines, I'm always tempted to chicken scratch. That's something I picked up from others since I was young and I was never told it was bad until way later, so it's a hard habit for me to break.
    Last edited by Ambiguity; June 30th, 2012 at 02:03 AM.

Thanks
    Good job on your studies, the eye in the human parts studies is well done keep up the hard work!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast