P.O.W.! Challenge 61 (A-B-C) Mesoamerican Punks

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

In all P.O.W.! Challenges, you can interpret the art any way you wish, and the more creatively, the better. Any media. B&W or Color, unless we specifically point out otherwise.

Topic 61A: Fantasy Band invent Punk Music(Storyline)

A band of once-minstrels in a fantasy setting are tired of traditional music and "artistry" and just want to rip it up and start again. Our protagonists are creating a new kind of musical genre in the middle of lutes and flutes - these guys are more Death Metal & Dragons!! Turn in a P.O.W.! exploring how this band create their music, how the crowd don't understand them (and possibly want to burn them as Witches) and the trials and tribulations of noisy music with no amplifiers! (A magical solution, maybe?)

Topic 61B: Native People's Legend: Mesoamerica

Admittedly, this is a broad one, folks. The histories and myths of the Mesoamerican peoples are vast and diverse (Olmec/Mayan/Aztec etc etc) and I don't want to reduce all of them down to one category, but there are many more Native People's Legends to get through, so we'll mark this in and we might focus down again if we have a chance. Illustrate your favourite tale from one of these cultures in a comic panel style and try to incorporate their art style into yours in some fashion. Your take can be as broadly stroked in as you like (for instance, as broad as R3u5's on the Greeks), or mythologically accurate. Have fun with it!

You can find the range of Mesoamerica on the wiki page, here.

Topic 61C: Main Protagonist & Gear

If you want a shorter take on the topics above, design the main protagonist(s) from a version that blends the two topics with appropriate gear in use. So take a character or characters from a Mesoamerican Myth or history and put them in a punk band!!! Show how they use earlier technologies to really make some noise!

One or All-Deadline: Wednesday, June 27th, 2012, 11:59 pm anywhere in the world.

You can present your solution as a minimum of TWO to any practical maximum you wish which adhere to standard comic specs as below...and, yes, you can have the first or last (or both) as a splash page if you want--just don't get TOO extreme on page counts. REMEMBER: You don't have to have a complete comic to qualify for polling--if you realize you're running out of time, try to get at least TWO pages finished by the deadline. That's all you need to qualify for polling..

Standard Comic Book Size:

--Trim size: 6 5/8" x 10 1/4"
    --Live art area: 6" x 9"
    --Bleed size before trimming: 6 7/8" x 10 1/2" (1/8" in all directions)

.................................................. .............................

Good luck.

To all of you who have supported the P.O.W.! Challenges, from the bottom of my heart I thank you.

Just a reminder--those of you who didn't get a chance to finish exactly the way you wanted to, or ran into deadline problems, remember there is a sticky section where you can post your stuff when you do get it up to speed.

Last edited by donalfall; June 23rd, 2012 at 04:11 PM.
    P.O.W.! - All the Comic Challenges you can handle

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been doing some sketches for my Fantasy Punk Band!

Name:  misc1.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  808.8 KB

Name:  misc2.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  823.3 KB

Name:  011.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  445.0 KB

donalfall's sketchbook - page 14 | donalfall.com | galwaypubscrawl.com | facebook | twitter |

4. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not wholly relevant to this particular challenge, but this set of scans of Little Nemo are breathtaking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry to complain and i'm sure i've said this before but for stupid people like me could you not be so discripetive in the titles of the challenges. two word titles should suffice maybe like shattered gates or cutting ties.....just throwing it out there. ya know...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to j.s. sabastian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No problem, just running out some more titles that people have sent me. I can do both of those in the future! I like "Shattered Gates"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I liked "Starwatcher" because it was very open for interpretation, that one really caught my attention and made me long to participate in these challenges. I'd like to become disciplined enough to partake in all of them but I've had some issues with time management lately and I work a lot.
    I have to admit that I joined CA for these challenges though and I've loved following all of them so far. Everyone is really impressive and talented.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to B-Lister For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, just taking the temperature of the group - would a comic to a plot be out of bounds? I'm thinking specifically of the time Ilaekae got a script for POW! 12 - The Other Side? Cos I was lining up someone to write a script out for us...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that sounds cool. *edit* sorry i thought you where talking about the whole team thing i have scatter brain! but for single pow i was just gearing towards a simpler title easier to make a simple storyline there's already a lot of work involved without banging your head against the wall over the plot hehe!

Last edited by j.s. sabastian; June 6th, 2012 at 07:08 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to j.s. sabastian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I could have them write the script for the team event?... ?!? Fair enough, if people prefer open interpretation titles for the usual POW's I'll sit on that idea. Anyone else?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the idea of working from a script, for a number of reasons. It has more of an element of problem-solving, for one thing. When you're in charge of everything on the page, it can be too easy to take the easy way out and draw only the things you're comfortable with. You create compositions you're used to and it's easy for your skills to get soft and comfy.

Not only is working from a script more like working in the real world, it causes you to stretch, to panic that you might not be good enough to solve a certain problem, and to be thrilled and empowered when you keep working and make that part the strongest part of your piece after all.

Also, not all of us are writers. There's no law that says an illustrator has to be a great writer, but many great illustrators waste years of their lives not drawing anything because they can't come up with a worthwhile story. Or worse, they write a crappy story and then waste their fantastic illustration skills polishing some adolescent fantasy yarn instead of collaborating with a great writer and making history.

I really enjoyed looking at the different interpretations of the script in the example you linked to, donalfall. I'd definitely be up for that type of challenge ( if, of course, my day-job permits me the time )

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wild Bill Turkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wild Bill Turkey - the beauty of the script is that it alleviates the burden of writing one, that's for sure. Also, it is more like the professional world for sure. I shall weave the script POW! in somehow, somewhere.

I was doing breakdowns for this current one -

Name:  DSC_0033.JPG
Views: 389
Size:  103.2 KB
    My story is about a half-Vampire woman and a Dog-man trying to make music, but no-one likes it. So they decide to try out an Orc drummer to see if that fixes things.

Name:  DSC_0034.JPG
Views: 380
Size:  117.9 KB

Name:  DSC_0035.JPG
Views: 369
Size:  103.3 KB

Which led to me starting to lay out and ink this page -

Name:  DSC_0036.JPG
Views: 367
Size:  181.4 KB

but I gots to go look at how other people tackle a clustery, busily detailed cityscape. I have no problem on the perspective, but the detailing looks boring so far, as you can see. Moebius and Herge make this kind of thing look easy.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wuhu!

donalfall, I think both is great, script or like before, but keep it short when you choose the short version! EDIT: I dont think the topic description were too long, but i hope you wont make a mix. btw your comic looks promising!
    I'm going for the fantasy punks, set in the middleages...Story inspired by Jethro Tull, Minstrel in the Gallery...I'm going straight forward, no pencil before inking. Page one:
    Name:  Punks.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  418.3 KB
    Cheers!!

Last edited by ex-machina; June 11th, 2012 at 11:48 AM.
    "Alle Erinnerung ist Gegenwart"
    -Novalis-
    My Blog

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ex-machina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A quick scribble of three members of an aztec/mayan punk-rock band. I don't think I've got the historical dress completely accurate, but then again, they didn't have guitars or tartan loincloths back then either.
    I just need to think of a scenario for 'em now!
    Perhaps they roll up and shock the village with their (very) new-age sounds.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1339947802

Attached Images Attached Images  

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barefoot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,667 Times in 2,013 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    great stuff guys!! i forgot to post these, but heres just some sketches i did in marker and pen for this challenge... never got around to finishing anything, but heres the sketches, i figured i may as well post them.

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NickyBeats For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome work you guys. I had problems logging on to CA this week? Behind the scenes shennanigans or something. I'm going to extend the deadline for this one til wednesday in case anyone had trouble getting on, but there shall be the new topic tomorrow & more info about team POW! during the week!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to donalfall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome! just awesome! all of you!

I proudly present my second page. I have to admit that time flew by and all of a sudden it was sunday and i haven't drew one stroke..So I'll have some and get it done until tomorrow...

Cheers!

((EDIT))ouff...I'm not quite finished, but deadline's a deadline. There would be an additional page which i haven't even lay out in my head, so no 'real' end of the story...

Name:  Punks1kl.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  468.2 KBName:  Punks2kl.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  408.2 KBName:  Punks3kl.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  462.0 KB

Last edited by ex-machina; June 27th, 2012 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Adding Artwork
    "Alle Erinnerung ist Gegenwart"
    -Novalis-
    My Blog

30. The Following User Says Thank You to ex-machina For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1