Art: Work from my 2nd semester at LCAD
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Work from my 2nd semester at LCAD

Hi guys,

just wanted to share some of the stuff I've been working on over the last semester at LCAD now that I have some time.

Here's my blog: davver.blogspot.com
    and CGhub: davver.

I plan on continuing with the Tree civilization (Kauri) world by adding some characters designs over the summer.

Thank you for your time, any feedback is very welcome!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really cool designs there man, i love the boat feel you're giving to everything with curved shapes, works great.

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work - professional quality already. The level design diagrams are outstanding. I'm glad to see evidence of a really top instructor who knows what's up. Don't get me wrong - your work is excellent, but my impression is you're working under an instructor, and in a program that is really solid. Keep it up man!

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you guys!
    Yeah I had great instructors this year, the teachers of the classes these concepts were for are Jon Tucci and Polina Hristova.

Feel free to visit my blog, cghub and sketchbook!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Davver For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool - haven't checked out LCAD before but by your work it looks like a solid place. I don't see them listed as faculty but maybe the site is not up to date or they're part time or something.

I'm curious, was that work solo or did you handle environment/level design on a team?

Edit: Meant to mention you might really dig the work of the Schuiten Brothers...your level diagrams reminded me of some of their stuff. Just give them a search if you're not familiar with them.

Last edited by JeffX99; May 28th, 2012 at 01:38 AM.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This stuff looks good...very professional follow-through.

However: Not to be a total killjoy, but if this architecture is supposed to be made of wood it sure doesn't feel like it...the curvy forms you're using would just make no sense to anyone who's ever worked as a carpenter. I only bring this up because I think if you do a bit of Googling (try "house framing" and "Norwegian stave church") you'll probably come up with wooden forms that feel less "generic sci-fi/fantasy game setting" and more "this feels cool and convincing."

As always, just my two cents.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @JeffX99: Yeah I think they had some trouble in the beginning establishing a solid program but I am lucky enough to start now when most of it is finally working out. They might have not updated the website, but you can probably just google their names and you'll find their portfolios.
    These two projects were solo, however they were regularly critiqued by the whole class every week etc. I worked on a few team projects too though, maybe I'll post some more stuff!
    Thanks for the recommendation, I did a few searches and their stuff looks amazing!
    @Giacomo: Thank you
    I have worked a lot with wood when I was younger actually, of course I never built a house so I can't judge that.
    I was trying to convey some sort of advanced carpentry form, much inspired by Japanese joinery. And the curved forms of wood are often used in for example Japanese Temples. Looking back I wish I added some more details for scale, like patterns, railings etc. I was more concerned with the overall forms for this project.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually the wood engineering and style you have developed is quite good I think. There is a consistency of technology and style between a wide range of functions...machines, architecture, etc...not easy to pull off.

Shipbuilders certainly knew how to work with curved wood and joinery so I don't find it hard to believe at all. When I was 17 I started in construction and actually first thing I worked on was a 5,200 square foot house with all curved walls!

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think they are enough believable to be a fantasy setting of all sort, the problem is that they lack some details. Your design is full of major forms but it lacks those details of human crafting that makes it feel grounded. It's only this the problem, artisan refinery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @JeffX99: Wow, you've come a long way then, from construction to art That house sounds amazing, you wouldn't happen to have any pictures?
    @Hitsu//San: Yeah that's what I notice too, now that I look at it a few months later. If I find the time i might go in and add details, like joints and carvings, things like that.
    Thanks everyone for the support

Members who have read this thread: 4