Art: illustration/design
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: illustration/design

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

illustration/design

Hello everyone, long time lurker who only now realized there was a place on CA I could finally post my stuff in

I'm an honours-degree student studying information design where I specialize in illustration, design and typography. Here's some of the stuff I've made in the past few years, c&c always very welcome.

The first few are for a local band, with the first two being the front and back of their album and the rest being some of the posters I made for them. From the webpage down are two items I designed for a branding project. We had to create a fictional company, brand them, and design ten items they would produce. The last three were originally for certain projects but they ended up in the personal pile.

Attached Images Attached Images                    
    Last edited by kirubeen; May 26th, 2012 at 07:39 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a few other Uni projects I've done, the first one is a bunch of basic typography exercises+two logos. The next one is an infographic I designed last year with some close-ups, and the last one is a design for a "product of the future" project (it's a robot that waters your lawn).

edit-spelling.

Attached Images Attached Images            
    Last edited by kirubeen; May 29th, 2012 at 09:58 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice works, I really like the style infographic and the little sprinkler robot (I think it could actually be a product). It'd be nice to see more variety on color palettes too

"Great job guys! I love you. You're fired."

Sketchbook! Me vs Anatomy (and other things)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks nice!
    I really like your illustrations and your Mazaru poster looks rad!
    I'm interested in seeing more stuff! :-D

The Mazaru brand is a bit dodgy at the moment though. I thought it was posters for different clients when it really was for Mazaru all together. I'd actually like to see more visual clues that it's the same band.

Personal portfolio: http://erikfriberg.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Januz
    Nice works, I really like the style infographic and the little sprinkler robot (I think it could actually be a product). It'd be nice to see more variety on color palettes too
    Gracias che, I'd never seen my work is such a long sequence before so I hadn't noticed just how brown it all is! But I have been working recently on diversifying my colours so thanks for confirming it.

Quote Originally Posted by originalpink
    Looks nice!
    I really like your illustrations and your Mazaru poster looks rad!
    I'm interested in seeing more stuff! :-D

The Mazaru brand is a bit dodgy at the moment though. I thought it was posters for different clients when it really was for Mazaru all together. I'd actually like to see more visual clues that it's the same band.
    Takk so mukke, I appreciate the kind words. Yeah I see what you mean, that would definitely have given all the pictures a nicer consistency. I didn't do a C.I. for them 'cause they were a band I was in so I took over on the design stuff as a way to get myself some exposure while still studying. I guess I then ended up approaching each design as a separate work that allowed me to do whatever I wanted, rather than seeing it as a brand. Thanks for the tip I'll definitely keep it in mind next time though!

(sorry for the cheesy multi-lingualism, coincidentally I'm Spanish/Swedish)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My internet is kinda crap at the moment (as you might have noticed if you can read anything in my infographic) so instead of uploading it here's a link to an animation I made last year (I'll upload it if it's some sort of CA faux pas though): http://vimeo.com/41210297

I made it for a Uni project last year by vectorizing pencil sketches in Illustrator and then animating and compiling in AfterEffects. It was for MTV Base who asked us to make a 20 second bumper animation advertising their hip-hop weekend with the promise of airing up to three projects (mine got aired).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha that's nice, half swede then? :-)

Anyway, yeah I totally understand the situation with the band, especially if you were in the middle of it, you seldom get the chance to think about branding when it comes to such projects (even thought you should argue that you want the band to dedicate more effort into it, you are the pro marketer after all)

Really like the MTV base commercial, I'm always nit picking though so I would have loved to see the close ups of the characters in higher resolution, but that's nit picking as I said.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, I'm afraid the spelling was unintentional as I haven't spoken any Swedish since I was 9. Thanks man, but noticeably that animation was a bit of a rushed job as I made it in a bit over a day so there were a lot of mistakes left over (then all my work files got obliterated soon after). I noticed the blurring while I was making it but I couldn't figure out what was causing it as I had imported vector images, so they should have resized. But oh well, it's all about the next one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, it's true, the next one will always be even greater, since you learn and take it one step further etc.
    I pointed it out just in case you wanted to fix it for your portfolio! :-)
    (hard to do without the originals though)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really like your style. It works well with the color.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I just wanted to say I love the Marazu work, I think you have captured the tone of what that work should feel like, however, I
    would agree with the comment ragarding consistancy, remember that although it is important to create variety within a brand, it
    is also important to maintain the brand through out the collaterial. I like the little robot too, very cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh wow cool this thread is still alive.

Thanks for the new comments lanotdesign & JohnPrince.

Just wanna reiterate though that I realize now that branding the band would have been preferable, but at the time I was really just treating the posters as a glorified sketchbook kind of thing, using each one to play around and experiment outside of Uni work (I was in the band too so it wasn't exactly commissioned work). Considering that 90% of my Uni projects dealt with visual identities and branding I'm surprised it didn't occur to me until much later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    perfect!

"..Enjoy the little things in life for one day you'll look back and realize they were the big things.."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This work is stellar! May I ask what course you're doing at university and what programs you used for these designs.

Cheers,
    Ray.

- - - Updated - - -

This work is stellar! May I ask what course you're doing at university and what programs you used for these designs.

Cheers,
    Ray.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Rayy. I have graduated since this thread went up, but I studied Information Design, which is a form of approaching graphic design with emphasis on communication and concepts, rather than just the aesthetic side. I highly recommend reading up on it if you want to improve yourself as a graphic designer.

For these projects I just used Photoshop and Illustrator, although looking at a lot of these projects makes me cringe now.

Members who have read this thread: 59