ChoW#289 :: FINALS :: King of Hell
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Who is new king of hell?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obstfelder

9 7.50%
  • Mitze

6 5.00%
  • Dcritelli

0 0%
  • jsn

3 2.50%
  • hekatoncheir

14 11.67%
  • schwoar

0 0%
  • mythril_golem

34 28.33%
  • MightCrawler

2 1.67%
  • albino-Z

76 63.33%
  • mcreation

3 2.50%
  • Mhugo

73 60.83%
  • Monsieur-Beefy

1 0.83%
  • GammaGrey

4 3.33%
  • Dryleg

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: ChoW#289 :: FINALS :: King of Hell

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ChoW#289 :: FINALS :: King of Hell

Character of the Week #289
    King of Hell

Design a new ruler of Hell!

DEADLINE: SUNDAY 27th MAY 8PM GMT+1 (9PM British Summer Time)
    Check your timezone!

Post your final images in this thread. Remember, any comments posted BEFORE the poll is posted will be removed without any sort of warning.

CHECK YOUR TIMEZONE

CHECK YOUR FILENAME

MAKE SURE YOUR IMAGE ADHERES TO THE BRIEF

The Guidelines:
    • Can be any gender
    • Must have a crown
    • Must avoid typical 'Devil' cliches (as outlined above)
    • Does not have to be humanoid - but please no gelatinous blobs.

THE RULES
    In addition to the brief, if you do not follow these rules, you will not be included in the poll.
    • Files must be named: CHoW#289_Username 
(Files with any other names such as final.jpg or even chow289final.jpg will not be accepted)
    • Finals must be posted in the finals thread BEFORE the deadline
    • Final post must include the CHoW number and the artists username at the bottom of the image
    • At least 3/4 of the focus character must be visible
    • Final images must be accompanied with a basic character sheet in a separate image
 Character sheets should at the very least show a sketch of the front and back of the character and a couple of early thumbnails/silhouettes.
    • Follow the brief!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Out of time for the weekend, so I'm naming this final.

Fun Theme. So many great contributions.

Good luck everyone! See you next week.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Obstfelder; May 27th, 2012 at 08:22 AM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Obstfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "One doesn’t just rule hell, it’s a chaotic place devoid of sanity, hell consists of 8 realms and the burning cage.
    Each realm has at least one greater demon overlord... mind you the exact number of these overlords and whom they are is unknown, it is believed
    that these overlords convene every 602.42 or so years, and then elect a new supreme ruler to lead them against the divines, the chosen one
    is crowned with the mask of the fallen"- Ismael the mad

Last edited by Incinerated; May 26th, 2012 at 05:25 PM.
    "Take credit for anything embedded in the edit as long as you ment it when you said It"

Sketchbook <-nsfw|Deviantart | Website

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Incinerated For This Useful Post:

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Done. Insane turnout this round.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Final; King of Hell
    The most unlikely contender to the throne. Body mangled from the battles leading up to becoming the King of Hell.

Had fun, learned some,...ready for the next round!

Sketchbook

Need to fill this up!
    Finally Finished

Mostly traditional media.
    Fine Art

www.jsnzart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, battle royal for the king of kings of hell. This one was kickass.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hekatoncheir For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

King of Hell

Fallen angel direction.

"We didn't say it. Milton said it. And he was blind."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    unfortunately didn't save any of my initial ideas but I can just tell you. There was some pear of anguish related stuff going on before i got around to a birds nest then to that blackbirds in a pie song/rhyme.

great round from everyone

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society"

my site
    chenthooran.com

deviantart
    mythrilgolem

14. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to mythril_golem For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is my take on "King of hell", more like queen of hell in my case.
    I didn't have time to do more then linework but it was fun times.
    Good luck everyone

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I knew exactly what I was going to do so I didn't do any thumbnails or silhouettes.
    Anyway, my humble and silly work-
    Name:  CHoW#289_Kerah.jpg
Views: 2326
Size:  380.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After completing the character sheet I realized one of my major influences. Shadow of the Beast really defined a standard of quality in my young(then) awe stricken heart. A big thank you to my beer-loving/hax-playing crew for the input.

18. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to albino-Z For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My king of hell, cast from the skys, marked with a cross behind, wings cut off, he had a hard time, in hell, beating everyone who came at him, until as a valiant warrior he always was, he beat the king and became himself, king of hell...his whip is a specialized weapon of torturing people ah ah ah ah

Last edited by mcreation; May 27th, 2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: adjusting contrast and color that looked differently from original file and forgot thumbnails

20. The Following User Says Thank You to mcreation For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fantastic work guys=)

Kerah, you should do some thumbnails and sketches, at least a modelsheet with a rough sketch of your characters front and back.

FINAL

22. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Mhugo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Queen of Hell

Deadline is SO close. I have missed the last few by a hair... A HAIR!!! Not this time. Here is my entry

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Best Chow EVAR
    Name:  CHOW#289_Monsieur-Beefy.jpg
Views: 2216
Size:  372.9 KB
    Name:  289Charshiet.jpg
Views: 2198
Size:  99.1 KB

Twitter|Tumblr|CGhub|DeviantArt|Blog||Mick.MonsieurBeefy@gmail.com

available for work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Final image.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to GammaGrey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agh! I'm just so friggin slow. I seldom got any time to do anything as rendered as I want. That's why I love doing chow, It really pushes me to paint faster and make decisions.
    My concept: Another cast-down angel similar to lucifer. But this one was instead being turned into a round chunk of meat by God and locked away in a box of divine stone. Yet his hate and lust for revenge gave him to strength to bend open his prison and build a new body from the debris. Has now killed Lucifer to take over hell for his own purpose, to destroy heaven once and for all

Name:  Chow#289_Dryleg.jpg
Views: 2171
Size:  168.0 KB

Name:  Chow#289_Dryleg(charsheet).jpg
Views: 2160
Size:  115.8 KB

Progressive sketchbook

Stop wanting and start doing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CLOSED - Amazing round this week guys!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 771 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Albino: A-sexual king of hell with a kiss on his butt? What's this madness

Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Mhugo got my vote. I've always loved the idea of evil having a dark beauty to it and for me this one nailed that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    to all who voted for me...thank you very much!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Worked a bit late

I only saw this competition on the day that the finaly were meant to be in. I worked through the night but unforchenutly I didnt get my idea done in time. Rather than give up I kept working on it at the same time as some of my other projects. Though I would upload the final peace anyway.

This is my first CHOW as I normaly do COW, I'm very surprised by the low amount of descriptions. Do you all have storys that acompany you Charicters or is that not realy important here?

“I was once great and powerful. I could not walk through the streets without everyone knowing my face, my name repeated in hushed whispers. My exploits were told around campfires and great halls. I sought power but not for its own sake. Only as means to my greatest desire, the pleasure of being known. I sought an immortality after death through the people who would know my face and re tell my name through out the generations.

I discovered another kind of immortality. My actions in life led to my unjust placement in hell.

In an afterlife where time has no meaning the Devil takes his time to create a singular torture for every resident. Mine was to have my greatest love stripped from me. Molten metal way placed upon my face obscuring me from view, Though I still see and my screams are still heard. Not only this but the Devil placed a curse upon me. Never could I speak my name, or even my gender, nor make any attempt to reveal my past life. And so I became the Nameless Dammed. Even my tortures did not know who I was.

For a hundred generations I screamed, pleaded and pissed with my own fear.

As Hell filled to the brim with dammed souls the Devil began to recruit those humans he though had been tortured so long that they would be as broken and loyal to him as his own Deamons. I was among those. The devils arrogance would be his own undoing.

For a hundred generations more I schemed, plotted, gathering knowledge and power around me. Deamons and humans alike I drew to my banner; an army of dammed souls who no longer feared death or pain, having already suffered and eternity of it.

The Devils last sight was his own face reflected back at him, the last being who knew who lay beneath.

Humans rule hell now, all beneath me of course; the Deamons do our bidding, or scream in their own pits. They have taught as well in the art of torture and now we teach them pains that only a mortal could imagine. Yet my victory is hollow, I am tortured still. Though I have more renown than ever before, not a single soul, mortal or immortal, can know my face nor remember my name. I am the Nameless King and my furry ever builds.”

The Namless King - first mortal lord of hell

Attachment 1493223

You also dont apear to do crits, which is rather the point of competeing for me. So even if most of you dont read this I will intend to start things going.
    They will be quik however as I expect no one will ever seee this.

Obstfelder- This charicter looks quite sincister and trikys, I think you pulled off the multiple arms well as well as getting the faces to look like they realy have straps of cloth tight to thier faces. The lightsorces was a realy good idea but it world have worked better if the slerling clouds around the outside had more contrast .

Incinerated- I asume that you charicter is wraped in a clock of shadow or soemthing like that but I would avoid using absalute black particuly as a lot of the landscape is black aswell. you mentioned this mask but we cant even see it properly its so drak. I do however like the way you've got the skin tone reflecting the light sorces realy well and the movement the shape convays makes me feel like she would swim through the sky like a seal rather than fly.

Mitze- Again I would have said avoid absalute black but it looks like you were going for a Hell that was dark and dingy rather an fiery. Hence why I think peoples descriptions are important. Being so dark means that you can hardly see the form so it would be iven more important to have an accurate charicter sheet. The lighting on the magotty body is bloody good hwever, I can imagine a legion of deamon spawn growing beneath eating thier weeker siblings.

Dcritelli- Pose is always very important as it shows what a charicter is all about, you've correctly managed to avoid the sexy posse for female charicters which always ruins the effect for most games charicters. You forms and propertions are good though I would reaserch a bit more around the area as at first glance I assumed this was a Dark Elf, or some sort of vampire.

jsn- The scale and pose of your charicter makes me think that this is one of the devils underlings rather than the lord of hell himself. Perhapse rather than all the little souls running in fear they could be worshiping him and this would convay the charicters role more. Dispite this I find all the little running charicters to be very amusing so I dont see whay something couldnt be done with this. Also I feel like the crown is an add on, not looking like part of this charicter. I apolagise if this sounds harsh but I have mo problem with the charicter, its jsut doesnt look like a Lord of Hell.

hekatoncheir - Realy like this one, shame I had to puzzle a lot of this out from you thumnails but the shadow bird beasts that make up his cloke are very coool indead as is the broken crown/halo. not only this but all the little details on his outfit look very nice. All I can realy think to say is think of increasing the crtrast so we can see all your details a bit more clearly.

schwoar- A ncie weary looking fallen angel. I particuly enjoy seeing him holding is halo absentmindedly. The wings could have done with being based more on a real refference. Otherwise I would jsut say this doesnt realy look he belongs in hell. I dont mean he needs giant bat wings and spiky armore, it could even jsut be the setting or story that explains him that would show it off better.

mythril_golem- Brilliant concpet well exictuted, the baby birds make this truly creepy.

MightCrawler- Shame you dint have chance to finish this and its a bit hard to jsudge a rushed image compared to one someone has labered over but my coments would simply be to avoid it looking like you charicter is the new Mortal Combat boss. The the arms and legs I think are whea the most interst is going on, the very insect like body peaces make for an interesting siloet without going for the standard spiy armore.

Kerah- Just becosue you know what you are going to do doesnt mean that your idea cant benafit from trying it out in a few differnent shapes. His face realy is what makes me like him, a piggy little git rather than a magificent Lord, spitefull like a child.

albino-Z- I realy apreciate the understated shape of you charicter, rlying on the pose and setting to convay more about him. Are those horns part of his throne? Very cool. The pale skin and blood feet realy work well, you dont need to be in black to be evil. My only negative is the pose, I said I liked your use of pose to convay mood but not the one you have used. As soon I saw it it just looked exactly the same as those hundreds of cliche lords and kings bord with thier rule lounging in their thrones. But then again everyone does it so its not jsut you. Still one of the best peaces here.

mcreation- Yay a description! It helps so much for my understanding of the charicter> I actuly realy like the shapes yo have created here, it fits perfectly with the warrior raised on high. I especialy like the little screaming face on his shoulder.

mcreation- Bloody impresive, I feel like this would fit quite comfortabley on am MTG card. Strangly a plains one. On why note I am a bit fan of your using bone white to convay you charicters. Abouve most of the others hear you charicter screams LORD jsut as his victems probably are.

jbarajasART- I Good pose, again thank you for avoiding the sexy posser female charicter. is the crown the metal band accross her forhead? Look more closly at real corsits or is that ment to jsut be a gerrdal? I would say there sint enough of a feling of the supernatural round her, this could be the commander of a bunch or marrorders, not just the lord of the underworld.

Monsieur-Beefy- Very cool idea, a lord of hell who is himself tortured. The barbed wire reminds me of Jesuse's crown of thorns which is very cool. I think his sitting psition could have benafited from a refference but aprat from tha this is again one of my faverut peaces.

GammaGrey- Likeing all the tusks and the half skull if a very good idea. the sweeping pose shows his station well.

Dryleg- nice idea, shame you dint get to finish it. Think it could have denafited from having some less rock like parts, but make drom rock. patterns upon his surface or shape that resmbled the stubs of his lost wings etc. The crown could have ben more clear aswell, maby being a differnt colour or patterned.

I hope at least someone of you get to read this.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheAlmightyPillock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seems I cant upload it here. For my peace please view here. http://thealmightypillock.deviantart.com/#/d528p2w

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you so much for your comment TheAlmightyPillock i do really feel the need to create a story or backdrop to my characther so it can make sense.

Members who have read this thread: 7