Thread: Looking for critique on face anatomy and color's palette

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Looking for critique on face anatomy and color's palette

Name:  Vaxq.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  340.5 KB

so i wanted to illustrate a sci fi scene with the face on the left. and i have already designed the character. my problem is that a lot of people told me i have problems with anatomy, but i also think my coloring is really bad. i am seeking critiques and guide to help me do better. (paint over will be greatly appreciated)

my aim is to illustrate people that can look like Melanie Delon's and probably coloring that can look like Craig Mullins.

* the photo seems too big, you can hold CTRL and pull the roller down to zoom out.

Thanks and cheers.

Last edited by tekkoontan; May 25th, 2012 at 08:30 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    or you can re-upload the image at a smaller size…

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Venger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    or you can re-upload the image at a smaller size…
    alright, fixed hehe

Thanks
    Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "Coloring" makes sense only in the context of environment. Skin tone, like the color of anything else, depends on the ambient lighting and direct light, foremostly. So when you plan a portrait, start with the environment, then the decisions about colors of lights, midtones and shadows will at least be logical and consistent.

As for the facial anatomy... you've got more or less standard comic book face there. Watch for overlapping shapes; you had unconsciously avoided overlapping the corner of an eye with the nose, for instance, and ended up with an eye that is too small and too far to the side. Use construction lines, not contour lines to plot the head to avoid things like that.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    "Coloring" makes sense only in the context of environment. Skin tone, like the color of anything else, depends on the ambient lighting and direct light, foremostly. So when you plan a portrait, start with the environment, then the decisions about colors of lights, midtones and shadows will at least be logical and consistent.

As for the facial anatomy... you've got more or less standard comic book face there. Watch for overlapping shapes; you had unconsciously avoided overlapping the corner of an eye with the nose, for instance, and ended up with an eye that is too small and too far to the side. Use construction lines, not contour lines to plot the head to avoid things like that.
    use constuction lines instead of contour for the whole head why havent i think of that. thanks Arenhaus

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Vax.jpg
Views: 1822
Size:  88.3 KB

so i went back and render the face a little, and see? i cant make it look like a real human. and the lightning also looks incorrect... i have no idea where it went wrong.

it seems like it is impossible to paint photo realistic faces unless you have a photo reference.... i dont know... but i think Martha Dahlig, Melanie Delon and Linda Bergkvist seems to be able to paint realistic faces without references.

i really hope someone can let me know what went wrong, because i couldnt see it myself. and also, paint overs will be great too.

i will greatly appreciate any comments or paintovers, feel free to do so. cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tekkoontan View Post
    i really hope someone can let me know what went wrong, because i couldnt see it myself. and also, paint overs will be great too.
    Seems like your making progress there, good

It looks like the foreshortening on the mouth is off and you have somewhat positioned the mouth and nose to point straight forward instead of slightly to the side. Look at the relationship between the mouth, the nose and the chin to the left side of the face.

As a finish, keep going!

You can find my drawing blog here

It's mainly a blog about how I develop as an artist, but I post my exercises and how to's on it as well, so if that interests you than take a look.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Meijer For This Useful Post:

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,655 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    All the construction mistakes arenhaus mentioned are still there. You can't fix them by rendering over them more, if you have trouble, get a ref. And drawing photorealistic faces without a ref, I'd say it's not impossible but you really need a crapload of experience on drawing faces from refs first.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    All the construction mistakes arenhaus mentioned are still there. You can't fix them by rendering over them more,
    But you can actually make them worse, and that's what's happening.

Last edited by Elwell; May 27th, 2012 at 01:19 PM.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you were going in the right direction, and I think the critiques from Tony Meijer, and Arenhaus are good. You asked for a paint over. This is a paint over describing the fixes for the anatomy crtis. I hope I'm giving you the correct interpretation of their crits.

Sean

Attached Images Attached Images  

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sean_rodrigues For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    O' forgot to adjust the barrel of the mouth so the teeth look correct, but I hope the paint over helps.

Sean

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,881 Times in 2,355 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Vax.jpg
Views: 1822
Size:  88.3 KB
    it seems like it is impossible to paint photo realistic faces unless you have a photo reference.... i dont know... but i think Martha Dahlig, Melanie Delon and Linda Bergkvist seems to be able to paint realistic faces without references.

:
    People say they aren't using reference today the way Bill Clinton said he wasn't having sex. So take it with a grain of salt because it's a lie.

As for getting the lighting and proportions, start with the large geometric shapes pick an angle of light and think in terms of volumes not features. Measure twice before committing your marks.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    reference is a point of view......have you drawn 100's of faces from life, if so then it becomes easier to draw without reference because you have that information stored away...can you draw a believable character using the standard landmarks..yes, the individual characters come when you combine x's nose with y's mouth and z's eyes.....thousands of characters are based on the Audrey Hepburn/Megan Fox face type after all I think that there is a universal sex appeal, there is something that we all find attractive, it is nailing those characteristics and making it your own that are the challenge and there in lie the fun....

20. The Following User Says Thank You to williams73 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks everyone, i really appreciate you comment on my thread

and especially thanks to Sean for the paint over, i am comparing mine to yours now.

and william, what you said was right, i need to paint more from life. so far i only painted 5 life drawing, which i was quite satisfied with and thought i was good enough. you said i need to paint like 100, i agree with that and seriously need to paint more of those. thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so i decided to finally paint make a piece to paint. but i still have problems with the eyes.... i have no idea if it is because of the lightning or because my eye anatomy sucks... i really have no clue, they just look too 2D.

and does painting realistic painting needs reflected light? if my painting has no reflected light, is it still going to look real?

please critic and thnx !!! a paint over will be good too.

Name:  New Canvas.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  251.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your underlying structure still needs work - especially with the torso anatomy there (shoulders are unrealistically square, her boobs are too high and the one nearest us is like in the centre of her chest, also her deltiod is weirdly big) I'm just echoing what the others already said; use reference!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Ysvyri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Let's see some studies from references. If you can't execute that perfectly, how can you expect any results from avoiding refs?

As is the case with most people, your actual anatomical knowledge is miles behind where you assume it to be. You'll gain little benefit from painting solely from imagination - it'll only reinforce your own anatomical misconceptions.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Hexokinase For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  New Canvas.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  251.3 KB
    In all honesty, I rather like how you've rendered the face here, especially the highlighting on the nose.

Everything is better with dinosaurs.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Brandon Pilcher For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks all,

okay, i will try not to be stubborn, i will go get a reference now

Members who have read this thread: 1