Sketchbook: Any advice is welcome.

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks

Any advice is welcome.

Hi, I'm a 35y guy with some experience on several styles trying to focus myself. Any harsh word will be appreciated, specially the useful ones.

Also, I think some of my works will be nice to check, I will try to upload my progress often.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JeanFumero; December 13th, 2013 at 08:24 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Some more watercolors

Some more nudes or seminudes, I'm not really bad painting with references, but I'm getting to a point where my watercolors are looking a bit muddy, I'm getting more impulsive and adding maybe too much color.

Last edited by JeanFumero; September 22nd, 2013 at 06:06 PM.

Thanks
    Also, some quickies in B&W, Ink and charcoal, everything from references for now.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JeanFumero For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    First off really like your style and use of color nice to see watercolors too, i need to get back into this myself.

I think you have a very interesting way of using color, in fact it reminds me a bit of Lucian Freud's work, was the first thing I though when I saw that first stunning! image

I think at times it seems you are trying to do too much in certain areas and I agree it can get a bit muddy, I think the first pic is the best in terms of a varied color pallet but also a freshness to the finish.

I think its good to play with color but your values still have to make sense something Lucian Freud does extremely well, think you need to still think where is the light come from which parts are going to be cooler softer ect and separate those tones via your color selection. I hope that makes some sense, but I would say you are well on you way to being above average, watercolor can be hard to work with and I think you are doing it very well.

Thanks
    Thanks a lot @ja1307! that's the kind of feedback I'm looking for.

To be honest, I've seen the work of Lucian just once on my life, before that I already had a very rare color palette.

You're right in that I need to think more before starting to paint. The fact is that a lot of that paintings are supposed to be fast sketches, but some end being unfinished and badly planned paintings, or overdone sketches...I had very different watercolor styles from one year to another, because I've been inconstant and like to try too many different things, that hurts the results.

Maybe I need to stop before the painting and think more smartly about layers and color mixes rather than start working inmediately.

BTW, actually my "model" watercolorist are Mariano Fortuny and Turner, even if my work does not look anyway like that, for present watercolorist I like Alvaro castagnet.

Cheers.

PS Now that you mention the colors:

Thanks
    Hi jeanfumero, really nice start you have here, i like the colors and your technique.
    One thing i could suggest you for now would be the backgrounds of your painting,
    the first one you posted is better in the composition to me because you included the background to your character,
    it allow you to fade the characters into shades at some areas rather than having this "cut off" silhouette of white paper around your models that we can see on your other works.
    And maybe you could try some more smooth and continous brush strokes like you would draw with your pen sometimes,
    it would be nice to follow the woman's curve you draw rather than more energic strokes that participate to the overworked feeling you talk about.
    Anyway, good stuff and alvaro is THE man =)

keep sharing

Thanks
    Thanks a lot Bouroune, and great gallery.

About what you say, I'm aware about what is called "soft contour" or something, don't know the precise word in English, but I'm familiar with the concept, and you're right, think I'm gonna switch to my "slow" style for some time to try to take care about this kind of things.

About following the womans curves, you mean something like outlines? I don't know if it will fit with my style, but I guess is not that and I'm not getting it.

Thanks a lot for your feedback and tips.

By the way I upload something more, this ones are of my most finished water colors so far:

Thanks
    Hey Jean, nice start! Welcome aboard. I hope you'll enjoy your time here.

It always amazes me people can work in water color. I mostly end up with a big mess. I like the blue girl with the hat. Especially the third one. I presume you use a lot of photo reference? Some of the people have anatomic distortions because of that. I'd suggest to paint a lot from life as well. Water color is the perfect medium for that. It's fast and easy to carry around.
    I wouldn't worry to much about the end result. We all want to create beautiful pictures that look good but you learn by doing experiments and you also mess up when doing experiments.

I hope to see more of your work soon!

-daniel

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    nice watercolours. I'm guessing they're from photo-ref, which isn't a bad thing, but I'd love to see something from life when you get the chance.

As a crit, I would say that perhaps you can work on your edges a little more. Around a lot of these figures you use a sort of halation effect, or a bright burst of light, and it can be a great effect, but shouldnt be something to resort to if you can't handle the variations in edges.

Anyway, it may be that thats just how you like to paint, but its something to think about.

Looking forward to more

Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

Thanks
    you've got some interesting looking stuff here. The watercolors are awesome. The lighting in all of them looks really nice, and the color choices are awesome.

mooooooooooore

Thanks
    Lovely, definitely feel that your black/white sketches are much stronger in their values and perhaps it might be good to do a few of those types before you start a piece as the values tend to get lost in your colored pieces, probably because you're focusing on trying to be spontaneous in your colors...

I think limiting your palette before you being to 3-5 main colors might help in that aspect, and don't worry so much about getting "quick" colorful sketches since I think that's only adding to your anxiety when you paint. Those artists who I've seen do that have gone through years of color knowledge and studies before they're able to quickly and skillfully execute a colorful sketch

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Duplicitious For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Excellent start! My first thoughts are maybe to broaden the scope of your subject matter and media. Always a good way to challenge yourself and force improvement.

But looking great. Keep at it!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to The_Flying_Dutchman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well, thanks a lot to everyone, thats real feedback/criticism, actually providing something to the artist, not like in other pages...don't want to say names ^^

@D.Labruyere

I actually use a lot of photos or videos, I can't access to life drawing right now, I want to change that, but for now photos and videos are everything I got.

I have a lot of fun messing with things, you learn, you get used to draw more often, your work is more fresh, but with 33 years old I'm feeling teh need of having some really solid works.

@Duplicitious

Loved every line of your message, the most useful right now, I think you got just my major problems and translated it in words, since I do direct color mixes quickly I feel a loss in the scale of tonal values and sometimes definitely the word for the feeling while I work is anxiety, sometimes is just fun, and thats when something good comes, buts it happens just a few times.

More stuff, some landscapes that I feel semi-happy about:

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeanFumero For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    your values for your landscapes are so much stronger!
    and the colors look wonderful!
    mnore moremore landscapes pls

i love tree shadows

Thanks
    Nice watercolours.

Would be interested to see you start out really loose(and light if WC) and progressively tighten up the image.

Thanks
    Unfortunatelly, I don't have more landscapes right now, need a good photographer, I'm gonna post something more "thick" before starting to show really rare things.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeanFumero For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow man, these are lovely but your previous post with outdoor painting! just crazy, awesome colors and mood, i'll definitely follow your works in the future!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to bouroune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ha, ha, ha, it seems that landscapes are gonna be the way to go for me, I wish I had more scaned ones.

Thanks a lot, BTW, I'm gonna start to post other kind of stuff, feel free to be as much critic as you feel, I need it.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeanFumero For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Love the variety in here. All three of these paintings are really sick, and those enviros are the awesome. The ink/watercolor style you used in those comics in your last post looks pretty cool, too. cool cool cool cool

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Jovian M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ok, more things, now going in to my actual projects, a manga and character sketches for a wargame, need to improve the style on the first and the anatomy on the second.

First, the wargame.

Thanks
    More sketches for the game, I really have hard times with structure, 3D, and anatomy working almost without reference, anyway the "trasgo" series is my best of this kind of disigns, I think:

Thanks
    Sexi women,beasts, and cartoons.
    I approve!
    very cool stuff....I like the bald headed one with tattoos

Thanks
    Hey there, really like your traditional stuff, very nice feel to it and a good sense of colour. The main thing for me was just some anatomical inaccuracies, curves thrown in places they wouldnt really be or a larger arm but all the works overall "feel" good so if that doesnt bother you carry on because I enjoy your work, if it does do some anatomy/figure studies to niggle out those little issues.

Thanks
    I really like the last pic in your second post and your ballpoint pen sketches
    I think your watercolours could use some of the crazy linework that shows so in those sketches

I mean you got the painterly colour stuff down and I think it would be good to bring the strong lines of your sketches and the colours of your watercolours together

maybe:
    1: pencil sketch
    2: watercolours
    3: ink lines

my sketchbook
    friends Sketchbooks:Dile_, Stine
    my flickr go there if you want to see my photography stuff

<mildly sarcastic remark that seems a little cutting at first read, but contains wisdom and is really rather funny>

Ilaekae: "I'm sick and tired of "purists" who dictate their own anal preoccupations to everybody else as the word of gods."

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 924 Posts
    keep them coming.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinit View Post
    I really like the last pic in your second post and your ballpoint pen sketches
    I think your watercolours could use some of the crazy linework that shows so in those sketches

I mean you got the painterly colour stuff down and I think it would be good to bring the strong lines of your sketches and the colours of your watercolours together

maybe:
    1: pencil sketch
    2: watercolours
    3: ink lines
    Hmmm, I really want to try, but always have some problem wit the paper, to get something nice for ballpoint and watercolor at the same time, but yeah, the idea is appealing to me.

Also, trying too hard digital color, is a bit hard for me right now.

Thanks
    Alright, more of that orc concept stuff for the game.

They may have some crazy anatomy issues, but maybe I will do a collage with all this drawings anyway.

Thanks
    Lots of variety, in a good way! Looks like you're very comfortable with the washes and transitioning to opaque paint. I really don't have much criticism at this point as there's such a diverse jump from subjects...you're not afraid to tackle and explore anatomy with your characters, which is great. At this point I'd just keep doing more!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike L For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Very kind coming from you Mike, I will keep trying and trying, that's for sure.

More concept arts for the game, I put some color works too, I'm starting with PS and dude, I s*ck a bit, maybe my CS2 is a bit dated, but also I feel I'm missing something.

Thanks
    you are improving well on the digital colours, try to bring in more colours in the shadows and highlights
    for example a blue tint in the shadows instead of just black
    also: why are the eyes so plain? there could be so much exciting colours and details in them

my sketchbook
    friends Sketchbooks:Dile_, Stine
    my flickr go there if you want to see my photography stuff

<mildly sarcastic remark that seems a little cutting at first read, but contains wisdom and is really rather funny>

Ilaekae: "I'm sick and tired of "purists" who dictate their own anal preoccupations to everybody else as the word of gods."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast