Art: Life-size helmet building
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Life-size helmet building

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Life-size helmet building

I've been building a custom helmet for myself since April 2012 during spare time.
    The cardboard helmet has exact size of my head. ^^ I can put it on and off.

The next step I'll do is to construct decent mold over it. Then I'll cast a shell, put liner, and install scales as outer shell that deflect and absorb impact like below image.

Conventional bike helmet is bulky, needs to be replaced it when it got heavy impact for safety reason. It works as one-time protection shell. To me this is really waste of materials and money of riders.

So I figured I would build a helmet that has a layer of scales that can be selectively replaced after impacts like the body armors in ancient time.

Dragon Skin

This part consumed most of time.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    urm.... that seems really dangerous, theres a reason helmets are riged and not made of plates, hats off to you for thinking outside the box but for your safety please don't do this. maybe register your idea with a patent office then contact a helmet manufacturer with your idea

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Not the best inspiration for this design...

As an avid motorcycle rider, I fully agree with sloopster.

Plate armor was designed to protect the wearer from piercing damage from sharp weapons. It would stop your skin from being pierced but did nothing to stop blunt force. This was absorbed by the cushioning of thick clothes and layered leather worn underneath the plate. Still, it was possible to be mortally wounded by blunt force trauma alone, (that is why War Hammers were often used).

Modern motorcycle helmets are designed to absorb blunt force trauma and cradle the rider's head, limiting any possibility of massive brain or neck damage in the event of a fall resulting from a wreck. This is achieved by the thick layers of foam material collapsing and spreading the force of the impact over a large area and limiting the amount of force reaching the wearer. These helmets have been painstakingly tested at great expense by the manufacturers to make them as safe as possible while still being economically reasonable.

I would strongly advise you to seek professional assistance in testing your prototype, if you choose to pursue it. In the meantime, find some soft melons about the size of your head and put your helmet on it, then drop the armored produce off a two story building onto hard pavement. That should begin to illustrate your helmet's true protective capability, along with the trauma your head would have suffered under similar circumstances.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fail helmets.

just make sure your's doesn't join them.

Last edited by Orcar; June 8th, 2012 at 10:22 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Got to agree with the guys. As a member of the medical profession, please don't give us more work...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As a member of the general public who doesn't want to see someone get seriously injured, I also ask you not to wear this helmet as a replacement for a motor helmet.

Its cool to wear it without driving a motorcycle tho. Preferably at nerd gatherings where one doesn't look too much like an oddball.

I do think its very creative. As a cool prop it would be fine.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.