Metroid-inspired mech girl
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Metroid-inspired mech girl

(edit: latest progress, original post below this):

--------------------------------------------------------
    First time poster here, after years and years of lurking.

I want to try and step up my concepting a little, design-wise as well as technically, because I feel I've been slacking, and I'm never really happy with any of my concepts.

This is gonna be Metroid-inspired, mostly in the sense of, I want to make a girl in a mech armor, and I want to make a morph ball form of it. :p I really like how the design elements of Samus' different armors carry over to their respective morph ball forms. The actual design itself, I'm not gonna specifically try and capture the Metroid style (gonna go for something bulkier with no helmet), but who knows how it'll end up.

Here's some initial sketches for the suit and the girl. Not really happy with them yet, don't know if I should try to mess with these more, or do a bunch of new ones. Whaddya think?

Name:  mechsketches.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  91.9 KB

Name:  facesketches.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  69.4 KB

Lastly, here's some stuff I gathered for inspiration:
    Name:  small.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  309.6 KB

Last edited by Nix2; June 6th, 2012 at 06:41 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're not happy with what you have yet, I suggest that you simply do some more sketches and try out more ideas. Four thumbnails aren't really enough to begin with. Try more extreme ideas, push into all directions. Exaggerate proportions, try different technology etc.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to EagleGrove For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a huge fan of metroid and have drawn a few Samus pics of my own. This is a hard challenge because in no way does Samus turning into a ball make any sense based on her suit design. So we need to throw rational thought out the window for that. However, the original helmet did sort of look round so it didn't seem that far fetched.

As for suit designs, you have the technical skills but the top two don't look female or even human. The headless design doesn't translate to the human structure well. If you don't want to do a helmet, how about a bump or something to indicate that there might be a head inside? The lower two designs are a tad too industrial, think Aliens power loader. I would do a quick google image search on Chozo as the original suit was a Chozo design for a human and I think that shows quite a bit in the original design. If its not in the metroid universe, you probably don't have to worry about it.

The first suit is the closest in my opinion. Oh and maybe through this study, you can actually try to solve the problem of a suit that turns into a ball. The original Metroid artist really screwed the pooch on that one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments, and sorry for the long absence. I've done a lot more sketches, and finally arrived at something I was pretty happy with. I still feel the garbage vs usable stuff ratio in my silhouettes is kinda bad, but I guess that's why I'm learning.

I tried a few things with heads, too, but in the end I was too attached to my headless idea to let go of it, sorry. I did try to make it fit, I actually drew this around the female sketch that I did to be able to fit the person's head inside and everything.

The end result is kind of a mix between my initial industrial/organic ideas. It's still a bit more industrial looking than Samus, true, but like I mentioned in my original post, I don't mind if it ends up styled a bit different. In fact I kinda prefer that.

This isn't final yet, but I'm actually gonna 3D model this one so I might not have time to refine it more, but maybe I will. Crits would be very appreciated!

And here's those silhouettes that I did before I arrived at the final look:

And here's some ideas for the girl herself. I don't think I'll be changing the outfit much, but I'm still torn on which hairstyle to go with. Whaddya think?

As for the morph ball (which I will be doing later).... Shiroboi, I can't say I agree they dropped the ball on the morph ball (seewhatididthere ). It's made pretty clear in several of the games that the whole suit is actually able to be materialized out of thin air around Samus, isn't it? Considering this, the morph ball idea doesn't seem very farfetched. Also, Samus apparently disappears completely when in morph ball form (see this image, you can see the energy orb thing inside: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../Morphball.jpg) which makes he whole molecular transformation idea even more acceptable to me. But that's just IMO. And really this whole rant was just so I could make that ball pun...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool designs and nice renderings. In the final the head seems very limited as far as vision and neck mobility though. One thing that kinda bugs me (although you may be considering keeping it for style) is how the right hand is a little too low (you drew it correctly in most of your silos ending just above the knee) and thumbs just don't bend that way. Great work overall. Interested to see how you approach the ball.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the morph ball that they created was built as a clever game mechanic for a 2D game originally. Making both the user and the suit break down on a molecular level is more akin to magic than technology. None of her other weapons and powerups suggest that the Chozo had anything nearly that sophisticated in the way of technology. If you can manipulate the basic fabric of the suit, why not have it turn into a giant monster or an airplane you know? It's a sketchy explanation at best for what's a fun gameplay mechanic.

At any rate I liked all your concepts. Its nice to see people visually think through a problem. I can't say your final decision was my favorite out of all your concepts though. The bottom strikes me as very Samus like. Elegant, female and agile. The top seems rather bulky and heavy. I would have liked to have seen the arm armor set a bit lower to hint more at the form of the arms and maybe the head unit a little more narrow. At any rate, it's your design and it's all about what makes you happy.

Oh and I like the original girl and hairstyle the best.

Members who have read this thread: 2