Automatic wacom screen switching

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Automatic wacom screen switching

Hi! I'm new here and thought this would be the perfect spot to post this. I'm working on a piece of software that will automatically switch the monitor your tablet is set to when it's in pen mode.

The way it works is:
    You have your tablet set to pen mode and locked to one monitor.
    To use your tablet on the screen beside your current one, tap the edge with your cursor and it will switch to that screen. For example, you tap the right edge of the screen, the tablet switches to your screen on the right. Presto, you're on the other screen with your whole tablet area mapped to it.

I thought about adding a button that pops up that you can push to switch screens, and also making a hotkey for switching. But I figure that tapping the edge of the screen is the quickest and most intuitive so far.

I've read about others wanting something like this, and I've wanted something like it also. Just never got around to making it till i found out how simple it is

So, if anyone has a feature request or idea for this let me know. Currently, I'm still puzzling out how to make it work with Bamboo's control panel, but the Intuos works great so far.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just out of curiosity, would this be different from the Display Toggle button that the tablets come with?

Sounds pretty useful though.

Animator and 3D Generalist
    Musician and photographer.

www.dgovil.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's a display togg....damn it lol!! I didn't even know that existed. But I just tried it and it...was kind of buggy. Like upon pushing the button for it, it would switch to the next monitor on the right but then when i push it again it goes back to the monitor on my left, not the one in the middle (i have 3 monitors). So I guess I find it lacking a lot.

My app is different from that display toggle because it doesn't go by the monitor number, rather it actually takes a look at the dimensions and position of the monitor you're on and compares that with other known monitors (it gathers these when you first run it). If your cursor is on the right edge of your screen and there's a monitor to the right of that one, it will display a red line. If you hover your cursor over this line for a certain amount of seconds (this is configurable from 0 for instant to whatever whole number) then it will switch your wacom tablet to use that whole screen to the right. Oh, and this also works for the top and bottom as well as left and right. You can also use have it use hotkeys on your keyboard and it is possible to turn off "side switching" if you don't like it. The size of the red line is also configurable.

Last edited by wippytail; June 9th, 2012 at 05:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that sounds pretty awesome.
    Haven't really tried Display Toggle on over 2 screens, but for 2 screens it goes: All, left, Right, All ...

But I think your way would probably be a lot more intuitive.

Animator and 3D Generalist
    Musician and photographer.

www.dgovil.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.