C.O.W. #261, the cute fuzzy bombs. Voting.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: vote for the best "cute fuzzy bomb"

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Si_Swe

26 34.21%
  • albino-Z

40 52.63%
  • Tchuk

4 5.26%
  • Grievous_666

4 5.26%
  • jon n

0 0%
  • Snowgoyless

0 0%
  • elephant's stroke

0 0%
  • basti0n

0 0%
  • Dr. DK Danmage

1 1.32%
  • Prometheus09

1 1.32%

Thread: C.O.W. #261, the cute fuzzy bombs. Voting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

C.O.W. #261, the cute fuzzy bombs. Voting.

Post your final image and description here! No WIPs or placeholders allowed!!! I will delete them. Use the proper thread for this purpose.

Only 1 post per artist allowed! If necessary you may add questions in your post, if you need some last minute help, but actually the wip thread is the right place for this.

I will close the thread after the deadline and look through the images when setting up the poll. Entries which break one or more rules will be deleted.

Copy and paste the following lines and add your own content. Delete all * before posting. You can use the attachment function for the image as well. I will delete all replies, which are not posted this way.

USE THE ATTACHMENT MANAGER (post reply > go advanced > attachment manager - and use the paperclip icon to embed the image)! This way no images get lost over time.

[*B]Artist: [*COLOR=White]your-nickname[/COLOR]

Concept: [*COLOR=White]name-of-your-creature[/COLOR]
    [/B]your-description

Requirements this week...

- the creature must be small and furry. no larger than an average rabbit. and should be very cute looking!

- the creature must have a way of exploding. ( doesn't have to be realistic, get creative!)

- if you can also show it exploding you get extra credit ( which just means you get everyone saying "hey dude way to do something cool!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by (lark; May 30th, 2012 at 10:08 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,488 Times in 531 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Si_Swe

Concept: Bubblegum Blast-Rats

There are few species quite as oblivious as the Bubblegum Blast-Rat. Breeding at a rate of approximately 100 new Blast-rats a month, per-member of the horde sounds like a recipe for disaster... and it is, but not in the way one would think. See the Blast-Rat is so oblivious of it's surrounding, that, upon seeing a predator the Blast-Rat will have a surge of adrenaline, which, unfortunately for it, it is highly allergic to. The allergic reaction trigger the massive quantities of phosphorous in the Blast-Rat's diet to ignite, cause the Blast-Rat to explode (creating a distinct popping sound). Often this may cause a chain reaction of Blast-Rats becoming startled enough to explode. An exploded Blast-Rat will usually leave behind it's large, bushy tail which often float around like tumbleweed. They are collected by local artists as they create excellent brush-making material.

It is said that the prairies that house the Bubblegum Blast-Rats are simultaneously the most fertile and least profitable place to build farms, often having ones crops blasted to smitherines right before harvest. It is said that the Bay farming family has lived on those prairies for a century. Their youngest son Michael taking inspiration from the Bubblegum Blast-Rats and going on to have a lucrative if mediocre film career.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    Art Blog:May Contain Dragons; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

3. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: albino-Z

Concept: fluffy cheekbooms
    they are fluffeh!

Last edited by albino-Z; May 29th, 2012 at 10:46 PM.

5. The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to albino-Z For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Tchuk

Concept: Squineek
    Living in the treetops of the Kaloa province, these adorable creatures have gained a fearful reputation despite their welcoming appearance. Breeding in excess, their population is only kept in check by their natural defence capability. When threatened by a predator members of the group will valiantly run, dive and jump onto their would be attackers before quickly inflating and exploding in a shower of blood and deadly acid. This agonisingly maims and more often than not, kills the predator serving as a warning to other creatures nearby to steer clear of the Squineeks.

Last edited by Tchuk; May 30th, 2012 at 06:30 AM.

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tchuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Grievous_666

Concept: Feather Fuse
    This is a non flying bird like the penguin and the ostrich. the feather fuse lives in a large population and when the feel threatened the will group all together and run in a big circle. If a predator moves in the closes bird will run at it and makes there top feather inject a chemical in there brain. This chemical mix with an other chemical housed in a chemical sack in the brain will form a combustible gas. This gas will make there head swell up. When close enough the bird will ignite the gas in its head and the skull will fracture in to small bits acting like a frag grenade most of the time only the feed remain and some burning feathers.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grievous_666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: jon n

Concept: miniature bllama
    genetically engineered mobile incendiary device, abandoned on the grounds that they are 1- 'too jittery' and 2- 'don't explode when they are supposed too!'.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jon n For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Snowgoyless

Concept: Ottorpedo

Ottorpedo(otter+torpedo) is a small aquatic mammal that literally launches itself at the predators. Bumps located on the front of the creature's head will detonate on the impact if the living torpedo gets enough velocity.

Last edited by Snowgoyless; May 30th, 2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Picture didn't attach

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowgoyless For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: elephant's stroke

Concept: greenples

"Nature has the coolest patterns because there is chaos but then, it's also controled" Feng Zhu, design cinema, episode 35

Web
    Sketchbook

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elephant´s stroke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cute Fuzzy Bomb C.O.W. 260

Artist: Basti0n

Concept: Fuzzysplodster
    this creature undergoes an explosive chemical reaction when faced with stressful circumstances. if it isnt getting enough love you might have a suprisingly volatile situation on your hands

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Dr. DK Danmage

Concept: Tiger Mouse
    The Tiger mouse has developed an explosive organ, which it spits out to warn its predator of danger. The organ is covered in a slimy goo, and it glows bright pink. When squeezed, this organ will explode violently and turn anything in a 20 foot radius to dust. The Tiger mouse needs this organ to survive, so it must sacrifice it's own life to use it. We don't know too much about the Tiger mouse other than this, many scientists have died attempting to understand the Tiger mouse, and they are widely considered too dangerous to study.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. DK Danmage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

COW #261: Black-footed Sodium Sapper

Artist: Prometheus09

Concept: Black-footed Sodium Sapper
    Sappers are small, quirky mammals that live in rocky burrows in the arctic regions of Hedonia. There, they forage for moss and other small ground cover, and hide from the many large predators that stalk the snowdrifts.

Sappers have a unique self-defense mechanism, whereby they store pure sodium in a special oil-filled bladder in their gut, and when threatened by predators, they burst this bladder, which causes the sodium to detonate violently upon contact with bodily water in the body.

Only male sappers use this ability defensively, which means that males outnumber females at birth; females watch after the babies, which they give birth to at a tremendous rate.

Last edited by Prometheus09; May 30th, 2012 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Had to embed the picture! Sorry!!! :O

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Prometheus09 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 771 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Holy cockflaps Albino, the lighting on those beasties is amazing They maybe look a tad too sinister but all in all still the best of the bunch. Well played sir.

Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pixeltuner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I do think Albinos was the prettiest out of the lot, but my vote goes to Si_Swe purely because there was a description and an explaination for how it was designed.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tchuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,488 Times in 531 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well I suppose that in any round I’m actively participating in, I should always do a round of crits. This round should be no different.

albino-z - Well, submitting in a round with you is always an exercise in humility, for me. Particularly when I can see our work so closely contrasted. That is to say, in the simplest of terms: “your work is consistently able to make me reanalyze whether or not I think I’m good at drawing”. Beautiful lighting; working with halo effects on fur is something I haven’t tried yet (in part because lighting is one of my achilles’ heels in drawing, right now) and I love the way the cheeks mimic submarine depth charges. I have two critiques for the piece, neither of which deal particularly with the rendering or design. The first of which, I suppose, refers to much of your work as a whole which is that I’ve noted (at least with the last few pieces) that your tendency is to use quite muted palettes highlighted with shocks of more saturated colour, and while I suppose that fits well within the “albino” name, I’d love to see you take on a more colour-saturated palette. The second critique I have I suppose simple refers to context: usually in your work, there is a rich embedded narrative to garner the details of the creatures and characters you create; they make your work really rich and atmospheric. In this piece it’s less clear: their natural climate, the significance of cookies to the creatures. it helps them to feel cuter and more realized that they would eat cookies, but it doesn’t help me fill in the blanks about the creatures. At any rate, beautiful work, it’s always a pleasure to have you participate. +1 vote from Si_Swe.
    Tchuk - Cute little guy. Nice sense of atmosphere, and there’s a clear feeling of squirrely nervousness. You’ve melanged rabbit cockatoo and wallaby-type features quite nicely. Your edge control needs work, as a lot of them are feeling a little blurry, especially when you opacity is dipping towards transparency. Your rendering feels a little overstroked, and your brushwork then reads as brushwork and not as texture, which can become problematic in realistic rendering. The textured work on the branch would have been better left with a cleaner brush and then working with texture on overlay or multiply layers to really get those crackling texture in the bark. Finally, the lighting: firstly, your source is unclear. The lighting on the main creature seems to suggest a very strong source of blue light above and behind it. The branches are suggesting a strong light source below them and the other creatures are suggesting the light source is directly behind. I think I see the intention which was to have the turquoise of the background form a soft backlight for the whole piece, but it doesn’t seem a strong enough source to be creating that kind of halo effect, or even affecting the hue of things it touches all that much. Either a stronger source of light needs to be established, or the teal lighting effects need to be toned down. On a final note I wish it’s explosive nature was hinted at more.
    Grievous_666 - I very much like the style you have going on here. It feels very Pixar-Dreamworks design principles. I think giving a bit more texture to the plumage would have really helped flesh out the design. I think the explosive element of the creature could have been pushed, and really the design as a whole could have been pushed further from existing birds rendered in a more cartoon-like style. The design tends to flatten out where you’ve placed the warm soft light effect and I think this could be fixed just by working back into the lighting effect with some shadows to establish that there are still forms capable of obscuring light in that area, particularly in a heavily plumed creature where the feathers are all casting a slight shadow on the one beneath it.
    jon n - It’s really been a pleasure to have you participate the last few weeks. I find your a really refreshing change. Not to say that I don’t like delving into realism, but it is nice to see a style where the concreteness of forms is diminished in importance next to creating the overall effect of the piece. Great sense of personality in this piece (as with all of your piece I’ve seen). The context you’ve established really brings that narrative to the forefront. I think the smoking effects on the creature about to explode could have been better implemented and it would have been nice to see some of that red light bounce onto it’s compatriots. The areas were the creature bleeds over the fence are bothering me a little, I feel those could have been cleaned up in the digital stages.
    Snowgoyless - Nice concept. your rendering of the creature itself is quite nice, though the eye seems to be looking mournfully at the camera, which adds an element of remorse which I’m not totally sure was intentional. Rendering on the background elements is a little bit muddy, the tendency I’m seeing is to make things in the background blurred to make things vague such that the eye is then drawn to the principal interaction. A vague background is much better established with crisper forms that simply lack detail, progressive sets of silhouettes, if you will. With this sort of muddiness it instead sends the message that the water is filled with some deathly miasma. In terms of the construction of the illustration, I think you could have pushed the suicide bombing even further. Placing a your main specimen in the foreground, it having a passing relationship with the predator, and actually moving the predator-defender relationship into the mid or background would have allowed you to actually draw the beginning of the explosion. Essentially, reversing the mid and foreground as you have it now would have given you more options.
    elephant’s stroke - I think this is probably one of the weaker pieces I’ve seen you submit. Looking at your other work I know that you can render fur better than this, and that you’re capable of rendering light more effectively. I think the creature has a lot of personality, but I don’t think the cigarette is really contributing to that personality in any meaningful way. The creature’s expression alone is effective at conveying that attitude. According to your description, the antennae become red when they’re in danger, but the emotion of the piece seems cavalier. As a general point on your rendering, I’ve noticed (in this piece and the last few) that your fur rendering uses a brush that’s, frankly, way too small for the job. When I see people begin to render fur they seem to have a tendency to draw every hair and so they do one of two things: they use a tiny brush and attempt to render ever hair out, or they take a thin rake brush and go to town. Neither option looks good or effectively conveys the look of hair. rendering individual hairs only really works when the hair is very sparse. In a thickly coated creature, the hair tends to function as a sem-solid mass, keeping this in mind and then hinting at (rather than overtly showing) that mass being entirely made up of smaller elements should help your fur look more like fur.
    basti0n - I like the concept of the creature, and I think your style is working well for you, as line-heavy styles go. On the top creature there’s really a need to establish a clearer set of forms, I think a 3/4ths view would have really been helpful here as I’m having a hard time distinguishing limb from tumor. I love the concept behind the third image (the pile) but you’re relying too much on the one detailed area to provide context to fill inthe rest. Not only does the pile feel like a different set of creature (having an entirely different silhouette), but the one creature whose face we can see is somewhat understated in the scheme of things. On a final note: shadows. When you’re making a sheet like this, even without a background, it’s important to still show the drop shadow on the creature. It really helps to give weight to the designs.
    Dr. DK Danmage - Love the lighting on this piece. The creature has a great sense of personality which gives a really nice comedic element to the piece, as if the creature’s saying: “Don’t you even think about coming over here. I got this shit on lock.” My problems in the piece are twofold. Firstly, you’re using pure blacks, both to colour the fur (pure black never looks naturalistic) and seemingly, in places, to develop shadow. It’s a shame because you already have such a nice warm-cool contrast in the background establishing the hue of the shadow, so it feels out of place that we don’t see any of the purplish hue coming off on the creature which is entirely immersed in that shadow. My second issue is with edge control which is really only happening where large amounts of fur are hanging off the creature. You’ve used too transparent a brush for the task, and it makes the edge look chunky, yet unclear.
    Prometheus09 - A very cute design which feels very appropriate to the topic. The piece feels unfinished. I find it strange that you would use a soft brush for the fills on your creature, giving them that misty halo effect on what should be more solid edges, and I feel more could have been done with bringing depth into the piece, which is wholly unhelped by the straight on perspective of each shot.

I hope those help in some way. Please feel free to tear me a new one if you disagree... or feel like tearing me new one (I guess).

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    Art Blog:May Contain Dragons; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

26. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Si_Swe, this is the kind of feedback i appreciate the most (just honest and direct to the point!), thanks a lot for taking the time to write it, i agree with everything you say. I knew it wasn´t a very competitive or strong piece but i posted to see what happens and to have some feedback. Glad i did it because that explanation of fur rendering will help me a lot in the future.

Later i'l give feedback, for now i'll say that i voted Dr. DK Danmage because i liked a lot the personality and pose of that guy. Very funny, and the history behind it was great too, i can imagine a short film based on that character. Albino your entry is stunning and i can´t believe your talent, how you can be so consistently good, i didn´t voted you because the lack of background history and facts about the creature, but those creatures are amazing.

Cheers.

"Nature has the coolest patterns because there is chaos but then, it's also controled" Feng Zhu, design cinema, episode 35

Web
    Sketchbook

28. The Following User Says Thank You to elephant´s stroke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Si_swe: thank you for your critique, as you make good points, many of which I recognized before submitting. I am primarily posting now for that exact reason... to learn and get better. Naturally, everyone onto Facebooka looooves my cute lil guy, but oneI needs critiques like yoursa to grow.

As a primarily pencil artist, color theory is still something I'm working on. Also, digital painting techniques in general. I hate to say it too, but this awesome tablet laptop I have just stopped working too, so that's really throwing a wrench in my damn gears, especially for Sculptris work.

I'm flattered that you enjoyed the cuteness of my creature. As for the soft brush, I have no idea why I did that. At first my goal was to just fill in roughly, but I didn't get a chance to go back and sharpen up edges. You're also right about the perspective, of course. For that reason it looks more like a concept sketch than a finished composition.

I hate to make excuses, but time was very short, and the whole broken tablet thing didn't help either. I have already gotten a head start for next week's contest, so hopefully I will produce something better

A few questions for advice for everyone... what do you think of my pencil work/style? Do I even seem to have a "style"? I truly have no idea. Do you all think that a pencil style looks okay in finished works if I enjoy it, or is there no place for that here?

As for critiques, please forgive me... I will definitely feel more comfortable critiquing in the future, when I have a better idea of things. I've only got experience critiquing writing, and so I've got some things to learn.

My only comments were that some of the creatures didnt come off as very cute to me, specifically those of elephant's stroke and Snowgoyless.

Snow, I feel as though your composition and color are great, but the creatures themselves look mean, aged, and tough. Perhaps more of a neotonous look, like a baby seal, would have helped.

Elephant's, I enjoy your color and technique, but for me, I wasn't sure about the design. It sort of looked hodgepodge, and I wasn't quite sure about the anatomy.

Anyhow, sorry for a huge reply... I look forward to more convo as well as next week's contest.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prometheus09 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the feedback Si_Swe, its appreciated =]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback Prometheus, i´ll try harder next time...this greenple creature was a little on the crappy side i have to admit hehe.
    About you question, i don't think you should concern about personal style at all. And at some point, everyone has a personal style. But you can try to detect the things you feel you are good at, or unique, or that you like to do or show, and then just accentuate that...just my opinion.

Web
    Sketchbook

33. The Following User Says Thank You to elephant´s stroke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pixel,Tchuk thank you.

Si_Swe:
    I really appreciate feedback, especially when it is as thoughtful and complete as yours (you actually gave detailed crits to all participants and I believe we are all here to learn). I wanted to say that your comments helped and I will attempt to push the saturation of my palette more to see what happens. I voted for your piece not only because it's what an entry should be like (quality render, finished look, intelligent description, funny expression and mechanics) but also because your piece actually made me have a mini vision of this creature in action. It is so well thought of and funny- the image of the remaining tail next to the exploded splat and then getting blown by the wind is priceless, in all honesty. I also like the rendering with some elements of hard cel shading feel and of course the color scheme-name combo. If I could crit something I would say that it could possibly get a boost with some color variation and with some more prominent and unified blacks to give a clearer 3d read of forms (if that was your intention). The strip at the top works as an instant awesomeness multiplier.

I enjoyed all the entries!

Last edited by albino-Z; May 31st, 2012 at 06:29 PM.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to albino-Z For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus09 View Post
    A few questions for advice for everyone... what do you think of my pencil work/style? Do I even seem to have a "style"? I truly have no idea. Do you all think that a pencil style looks okay in finished works if I enjoy it, or is there no place for that here?
    Since you appreciate honesty, I'll be honest here. Your pencil work lacks skills. Lines are very unconfident(can I say that lines are "unconfident"? Sorry, english is not my first language). When an artist doesn't have a strong hand it shows: he makes these tiny strokes instead of sharp and confident lines. But don't worry, this is something that you're gonna develop as you practice. I advice you doing a lot of exsersises at freehand drawing and cross-hatching. Draw simple shapes: start with cubes and spheres, then cups, pots and vases. This is what they do in art schools, heh. I'd also note that I started to learn airbrush painting recently and this media requires VERY strong hand and hand-eye coordination since the movements must be extremly precise and accurate.
    And guess what? Before tablets and digital painting artists were actually doing concept art with traditional media. CA of the The Suffering(first one) off the top of my head.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowgoyless For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowgoyless View Post
    Since you appreciate honesty, I'll be honest here. Your pencil work lacks skills. Lines are very unconfident(can I say that lines are "unconfident"? Sorry, english is not my first language). When an artist doesn't have a strong hand it shows: he makes these tiny strokes instead of sharp and confident lines. But don't worry, this is something that you're gonna develop as you practice. I advice you doing a lot of exsersises at freehand drawing and cross-hatching. Draw simple shapes: start with cubes and spheres, then cups, pots and vases. This is what they do in art schools, heh. I'd also note that I started to learn airbrush painting recently and this media requires VERY strong hand and hand-eye coordination since the movements must be extremly precise and accurate.
    And guess what? Before tablets and digital painting artists were actually doing concept art with traditional media. CA of the The Suffering(first one) off the top of my head.
    Thanks for the input, Snow, I really appreciate it. I'd love to show some of my more "fine art" portraits here as an example of my refined pencil work, but not sure it's relevant to this thread. One thing I really need to work on is gesture sketches... I can block in shapes and all that, but drawing big, flowing lines of motion or shape is something I never learned.

It's interesting that you mention the "tiny strokes". I think that you are right, although I will say that I also erase a lot of my bold, big strokes after I start to add it little details. If you don't mind, I'd love to know what you think of my initial concept sketches in the WIP thread.

One problem I have is that I love to get very close to my paper and to draw very small. My art teachers always told me to draw bigger things, and so I am working on fixing that. It's a strange obsession I've had from childhood, to draw very macroscopically. The original drawing of the Sapper is only about 2.5 inches tall, and the smaller pictures of the mother, father and babies are only 1-1.5 inches tall. That makes it essentially impossible to do big, bold strokes :/

And yeah . . . lol I know that artists used traditional media, and in many cases, still do. I personally always favored graphite, though, and so now that I'm 30, I'd rather just focus on doing color digitally. However, I would *love* to get a nice set of markers to work with color, but for right now, I simply can't afford that.

On the bright side, I *did* find a small tablet to draw with now

Anyhow, thanks again!

Edit: Back to the stroke thing too... I think one way you're also right is not so much that I don't make big, bold lines, but that I get too obsessive about doing details on sketches. Instead of just doing a fast, bold stroke sketch in a few minutes, I take a looooong time obsessing over details, and hence, I start piling up those small strokes. I think that observation will help me improve technique in the future.

Last edited by Prometheus09; June 1st, 2012 at 03:22 AM. Reason: One more thought...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad it helped! And I think I got an advice just for you: don't be afraid to make your initial sketch extremely messy and filled with lines and try using eraser as little as possible. At least don't use it with intention to erase the mess and draw a clear line instead. Once you defined basic shape of whatever you're sketching just trace it to a new sheet and keep working. It's good to have this light table or whatever it's called, and since I never had one I was tracing skecthes by putting them against the window.
    Your "small-ness" habit can be treated with exsercises in composition in traditional media, I guess. The sheet of paper has its limits and you have to place objects within these limits so the whole piece would look appealing composition-wise. If you start doodling in the corner of the sheet instead of constructing composition you're treating paper like it's infinite space.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowgoyless For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I really missed out in this CoW! Damn, this looks like it would of been fun to participate in.

Hmm, I dont know if I should critique anyone else considering I did not partake in this CoW, but I'll just give it a shot.

Albino-Z : I can't really say anything about the composition or rendering or design, it's magnificent. I also like how your color palette is mostly on the grey side with more saturated highlights! The only thing that bothers me a bit is those two cookies resting on the ground. Applying the 3 second rule at least, I can't really tell what they are for. The idea I get is that they explode after eating them, but it's not made very clear. I guess if you drew little crumbles falling out of the mouth of the foreground fuzzy it would be clearer. But then again I'm not sure what the purpose of the cookies is. All in all, great job!

Si-Swe : The lighting looks a little awkward. I think muted would be the right way, as if there were several weak light sources hitting all over. It's nothing critical, but I think it requires darker values near the shadows and a more defined relfected light, as the brightness itself seems to be fine. My vote went to you though because of the design, I love it! It's cute, hilarious, and you can immediately tell that the little critter is volatile!

Snowgoyless : I like the otter's design, and he definitely look's huggable, but I think there's more of a compositional problem going on. The otter is very bright and the fish next to it is very dark The otter's face points at the fish, and the fish's barbs/whiskers point somewhere around the otter's tail, creating a cycling effect that makes the eyes focus almost centrally on those two characters, yet they are both just as important whereas the otter should be the main focus. Also, the otters on the background are pointing around at disparate directions which creates an uncomfortable illusion for the eyes. It's as if you had two images in one that don't converge very well. Also, the perspective and positioning of the fish makes it look like it's actually not in the way of the otter, but in the foreground. It makes me feel as if the otter were going to just swim behind him instead of ram into him.

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SandyMan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For me, like for most probably, this is between albino-Z and Si_Swe. Both are nicely rendered and feature cute fuzzy creatures.

Prometheus09: I like the head and the antennae/ears. Had you rendered it the way albino-Z did, I'm sure your entry would be a top contender. I do think the giant round body and somewhat too cartoony limbs should be better proportioned/feature some anatomy detail. What do you think?

Snowgoyless : I noticed the bubbles. Those bubbles look great. Good job on the bubbles.
    Obviously you don't want to be complemented on only the bubbles when doing a creature concept piece. It barely qualifies as cute and I think the layout of the piece could be improved upon. All the otter creatures have a profile, making the image quite flat.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to dragon4lunch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon4lunch View Post
    For me, like for most probably, this is between albino-Z and Si_Swe. Both are nicely rendered and feature cute fuzzy creatures.

Prometheus09: I like the head and the antennae/ears. Had you rendered it the way albino-Z did, I'm sure your entry would be a top contender. I do think the giant round body and somewhat too cartoony limbs should be better proportioned/feature some anatomy detail. What do you think?
    dragon: Thanks for your input, I basically agree wholeheartedly. I personally enjoy a sort of cartoony style sometimes, and also a "rough" look, but compared to the level of skill people display here, it is a far cry from a winner. As for the realistic anatomy... well, I dunno. I kind of like the stubby limbs and super fat body... I find those two features to be very cute, which is why I decided to stick with them lol I am still completely shocked that I even got a vote. While I do think my creature is very cute and huggable, it definitely leans more towards a rough concept than a polished composition. I'm very grateful that it made it to the voting round. I am already at work for the new COW contest, and so I plan to do my absolute best to improve my next entry.

Snowgoyless/Sandyman: Not to get in between here, but I respectfully disagree with Sandy. I suppose I'm not very talented yet, but I rather liked the composition of it... the darkness of the scene made it feel like an arctic environment, which seemed fitting to the Ottorpedo creature. I think the background ottorpedos worked well, because to me, they didn't really pop out, and so they weren't a distraction from the "main" ottorpedo. I will agree about the fish to some extent though... it did appear to be much closer than the ottorpedo, and the tentacles orientation seemed a bit unnatural. Still, I did enjoy the overall work itself.

Albino-Z/Sandyman: Once again, not to nitpick with Sandy, but I found the cookies to be a very fitting and enjoyable part of the overall work. My interpretation was that the creature on the right was stuffing his face full of the cookie... it looks like a happy little baby eating his first cookie or something lol However, I do think it would have been nice to have a bigger description of the creatures... I still voted for Albino because I just found the attention to detail to be fantastic... I really admired the way the light hits the fur around the edges.

Last edited by Prometheus09; June 1st, 2012 at 10:25 PM. Reason: One last thing...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to all of you guys! It sure is a lot of feedback. Composition is rather difficult for me right now, maybe next time I should just do a standalone character without any scenery around it. Circular movement of fish's whiskers/otter's tail was intentional. And it just shows how little I know about constructing the space of my picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon4lunch View Post
    I noticed the bubbles. Those bubbles look great. Good job on the bubbles.
    The bubbles was the easiest part and I made 'em with a few strokes of a bubble brush. It's pity I didn't add any lens flare to go with these bubbles!

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Snowgoyless For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowgoyless View Post
    Thanks to all of you guys! It sure is a lot of feedback. Composition is rather difficult for me right now, maybe next time I should just do a standalone character without any scenery around it. Circular movement of fish's whiskers/otter's tail was intentional. And it just shows how little I know about constructing the space of my picture.

The bubbles was the easiest part and I made 'em with a few strokes of a bubble brush. It's pity I didn't add any lens flare to go with these bubbles!
    Dude, seriously, hush... hush lol Your composition is fantastic is what I am saying. I just didn't think the seal-like ottorpedo was very cute is all. Your technique is fantastic. Whenever I get better, I can give you better critiques, but for now, I am still learning a lot! Seriously, you did an awesome job,,, I can only hope to achieve that, especially with this weird tablet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    voted for Si_Swe good job!

--==== S-K-E-T-C-H-B-O-O-K ====--

Please take a look!!!

50. The Following User Says Thank You to emerging For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 3