Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: JoostK Portfolio (Could really use feedback!)

Thanks
    It reads better overall but it's pretty dark by himself. You should do another 2 or 3 pages of concepts about this guy, maybe in different poses, maybe with different elements or shapes. Don't be sad if this one isn't super good and don't be sad if you wont put this one in the portfolio, of course it's ok if you want to but you should be prepared to make like 3 of them in 1 day so if it's not today you'll find a really good one to put in your portfolio very soon.

Just don't be scared of changing stuff around, enjoy it! It's the fun of being a concept artist, here's a quote of a man that i extremely respect: “If you're not prepared to be wrong, you'll never come up with anything original.” Ken Robinson
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeJakhalz View Post
    What concept art is about you mean? Making the ideas in your head into a visual concept so people down the pipeline know what to create in 3d etc.
    Well sort of. But it is more basic than that. It's one word: communication. Concept art is about communicating ideas visually. To do that well concept art must be clear. In order to have value concept art must communicate and explore a variety of concepts, clearly and effectively.

So right now, when I see that lineup come through in a portfolio my reaction as an AD is, "Hmmm...ok at rendering but he isn't exploring a variety of ideas, and the choice of rear 3/4 lighting, casting the figure in shadow is not what I need to see. There is potential there but do I want to train someone? Let me take a look at the other candidates."

Concept artists have to have incredibly resilient egos...you have to be tough...because ADs, project directors, execs, and all kinds of other people are going to alter, shred and suggest changes to your work...that is their job. The bulk of what you design as a concept artist will not be made, and when it is, it will not live up to your expectations.

So just some insight to keep in mind.

On books, most major fantastic films have a "Making of" type book: Star Wars, Star Trek has some excellent ones for the modern series, the Pixar movies, Disney movies, Avatar, Tron, Green Lantern, Harry Potter, etc. Books by Doug Chiang, Iain McCaig, etc. That is the kind of stuff I mean.
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    You feel like you're cheating if you take your own picture and use it as a reference? I'm not talking about a paintover or texture or anything like that. I mean reference. It doesn't have to be a picture even, you could draw it from life also (which is harder to set up), or would that be cheating too? Most of the great masters used reference, does that mean they cheated?

I'm afraid that you're holding yourself back with your sense of artistic integrity that is above and beyond what any of the greatest artists in history have ever held to. However, I have to say I understand it. Until recently I've held myself to the same standards thinking that I had to work from imagination. It wasn't until I realized just how unappreciate my efforts were, that I realized I had to make a change. Most of the stuff in my portfolio right now is from imagination, but I'm trying to use references now to move beyond my limited ability to remember everything.

Just think about for awhile. Read the history of any artist you admire. See what the process is that sucessful artist use. Then decide if it's right for you.

Thanks
    Thanks Hitsu, it's just a bit hard for me to know which direction to go if my eyes see something different than the viewers do. But I do enjoy it

Thanks for your comment Jeff! I really don't think I got a big ego tho. I'm defenitly not saying the work I've done is good work, I actually dislike my own work the most I've experienced difficult project directors and AD's
    and you are right about that. I don't mind at all if they pay me tho I look at it way different than personal work, they can do whatever they want with me. Getting paid to draw is already good enough for me. Drawing something that's totally up my alley and style is just a bonus.

You couldn't be more right Shorinji, thanks a lot for your comment.

I'm sorry for letting you guys down while I said it was gonna be better. I will keep trying hard and update this soon.

Thanks all
    Last edited by DeJakhalz; June 1st, 2012 at 06:24 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DeJakhalz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Amateur opinion here. I like the above designs but they do read as armor variations for the same character. Might be a stronger difference if it was in color and you had different palettes. To me, concept art is visual problem solving with each entry being a mostly unique attempt at getting close to your creative objective. It's about choice. If I was on the other end and had to chose, I wouldn't feel like I was really getting a choice. Do you prefer the red mini-cooper with the cream roof or the green mini-cooper with the black roof? Your overall designs for these guys don't deviate much from each other. I do however like the contrast changes you made, that definitely helped quite a bit. You've clearly got the skills to do this. I believe that you can go all the way.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Sounds good - just keep at it. Don't worry about "letting us down" or any of that...it's just part of the process. Push yourself to think more freely and really be creative with your design work. Good luck!
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Sounds good - just keep at it. Don't worry about "letting us down" or any of that...it's just part of the process. Push yourself to think more freely and really be creative with your design work. Good luck!
    Heck yeah, you'd only let us down if you stopped trying.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to shiroboi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    100% agree with what everyone said. Keep trying and you'll succeed. In my opinion, your rendering skills far out match your drawing skills. Perhaps a more carefully structured drawing approach would help you as well.

Thanks
    It's good stuff! Don't give up!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3