James and the Giant Peach

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

James and the Giant Peach

This is a book cover challenge I'm working on, and really what I'm doing with it
    is trying to experiment with color and apply what I've been learning so far, but
    I feel that it is lacking in several areas (there needs to be more life to it, I think)
    but I'm just not sure exactly how I should go about fixing it.
    Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 795 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your use of color feels a bit random to me to be honest. You have large streaks of brown, green, blue, yellow, and purple on the ground plane - where are all these colors coming from? Adding exciting, varied colors can bring an image to life, but be careful how you use these colors and where. The ground plane is less important than the boy, I imagine, but the ground is a rainbow and the boy on it is painted in boring everyday colors. Determine your focus (or foci) of the image, then use the elements at your disposal (such as color) to make them pop.

I'm also really confused by your perspective. If we're looking at a figure straight-on, as we appear to be with the boy, the horizon line tends to fall somewhere in their lower torso. Your values also feel a bit inconsistent in that the boy appears to be lit from directly above, yet the underside of the peach is not in shadow, the tree should be darker I'd think, and the worm looks like it's lit more from the front. And, lastly, the composition is a tad stale, which I think may perhaps be why you think it's lacking life (composition has a huge effect on that). You can pretty much cut the image down the center and be left with the peach on the left and the boy on the right. Aside from the mountains in the back, there is very little adding movement to the scene. The house also stands out as a confusing focal point; I think the image might be better off if it were removed altogether.

Sorry for the block of text but hopefully something in there will be of help to you. Btw the textures on the peach are lovely, and I really like the fonts you've chosen.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, that helped a lot! Perspective and composition are the hardest things for me right
    now, but I'll definitely take what you said and run with it, and see where I can take this
    image now.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Can we see your thumbnails? (You did do thumbnails, right?)

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.