Can I specialize in being an environment/scenic concept artist?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Can I specialize in being an environment/scenic concept artist?

Of course versatility is good and i do plan on making sure i have a good range of skills and a working knowledge of mechanics/industrial design after having been advised that it would be best to at least be familiar with it- but as far as where my passion is goes- i am most interested in creating worlds and characters.

Is it possible for me to specialize in making conceptual worlds?

I considered being an environment artist for games for a while, but i feel like that is more of an appendage role- as in concept artists are the brains doing the designing, and environment artists are the hands that are making the worlds imagined by the concept artists interactive. like as if a concept artist is the head chef making the recipes and the EAs are the line cooks that are actually cooking tangible, edible, food.

am i right about the job responsibilities?

thusly, since i feel this way, can i specialize in being a scenic/environment concept artist?

or should i just redirect myself towards being an environment artist- do they have more freedom than i thought?

help!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    No! No environment for you! Move along!

No, you don't really have a grasp on how things work quite. Do more homework and research. If you're interested enough in it you'll discover the resources and information and answer your own questions.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the- concise, answer

care to elaborate on it?

by "no environment for you" did you mean that if I were to choose to go the environment artist route in an effort to become a concept artist, i'd encounter more hardship than benefit?

also- you didnt mention anything about my core question: can concept artists specialize? if they can [which my research has given me cause to conclude- that to some extent concept artists do tend to specialize a bit], why not in conceptual environment?

I only came on the forums to ask because I have been researching the best routes to become a concept artist and how I might be able to capitalize on my natural interests- but I have been unable to find any definite answers about how specialized concept artists can be and the relationships between environment artists and concept artists.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll clarify what Jeff was saying.
    As he said, you haven't done your "homework" on research and understanding the entertainment industry. Do make sure that part of your time working on art also including learning the ins and outs of this career path.
    See, getting your foot in the door of this industry is incredibly competitive and difficult to get in. Every single concept artist in the industry is first and foremost a "generalist" at the minimum(in that they are decent at character+creature design/ environments/ industrial (vehicles,guns, structures etc etc) design). You will be required to be able to do any of those (it would be very unprofessional to be ordered to do say a vehicle, and you tell them that "no I only do environments"). So yes in the industry will need to be able to do all 3 categories, in the aspect of "specializing", it would be environments that you would be not decent, but great at.
    With enough experience working professionally you could just about fully specialize as an environment concept artist like Noah Bradley, but as a freelancer, not really in-house.
    So don't focus on one specific area, practice all your foundational skills. Because in the end as Feng Zhu said "There is no difference between any of them." for professional level artist.

So yes, do put more time into doing your "homework" on researching and understanding the entertainment industry operates.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to xensoldier For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's theoretically possible to become a concept artist who just does environments, but it'll make finding work a lot harder in an already very competitive market.

If you'd rather model and texture stuff than draw people, you'd be better off as an environment artist. Depending on the studio, they can get quite a bit of creative freedom.

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That was a joke...from "Seinfeld"...but may not have translated well depending on where you're from.

Xensoldier explained it well. Where have you been researching the best routes to a concept artist career? Just curious. There's a ton of info out there on it...mainly hidden in books and magazines.

Yes, concept artists can specialize, especially at the higher levels...but most can handle about anything pretty well and some handle all of it really well. You won't find any definite answers...concept artists do all kinds of things according to their skills, the project they're on, the opportunities they follow, etc. It is a very dynamic career and that's why it's fun.

The key is to be able to communicate well visually, understand the core of the particular assignment and bring something fresh to the project.

Other things to know:
    Leave your ego at home, in a box, buried in the basement
    Most of what you do as a concept artist will never be made
    ALL of what you do will be subject to extreme analysis and critique
    Most of what you do as a concept artist will be executed short of your vision
    One good concept artist can keep a team of 50-100 production artists busy
    Concept art comes in all shapes and sizes
    Everyone wants to be a concept artist. Even dead people.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As stated by everyone else everyone is pretty much a generalist, but hey in the time I spent at red engine. Most are asking for props and vehicles, that just seems to be the way in or so I've heard.

oh and I don't want to become a concept artist, but understanding the pipeline is good though.

if anything you should hit all three and be a generalist first and then once you have that under you, then you specialize.

Don't wake me for the end of the world unless it has very good special effects

Fresh2draw.co.cc

Members who have read this thread: 1