Sharp edges in Photoshop.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Sharp edges in Photoshop.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Sharp edges in Photoshop.

Just wanted to ask everyone's opinion on this one.

I currently know only 3 ways of making sharp edges in photoshop, none of which seem efficient to me, is this normal?

1. Selection marquee: marquee + paint inside or outside of the edge. Disadvantage: takes time to make the selection (especially for compliacted shapes), or when you need to make some changes to an edge made earlier (unless you keep a million alpha channels).

2. Sharpen tool: sharpens the whole underlaying image. Disadvantage: hard to gauge right, often gives a synthetic-like feeling.

3. Brush properties: Turning wet edges on and turning opacity sensitivity off. Disadvantage makes the brush very opaque, so it's hard to get it to look right, especially when making hard edges in the final stages of a fully renderd piece.

These are my current observations. I see a lot of people getting these edges right off the bat in the Chow's and Eow's, my wips and finished pieces are almost always blurry so maybe It's just my experience level, or maybe i'm doing something wrong.

Here is a recent photo study:
    Sharp edges in Photoshop.

Sketchbook

A creative artist works on his next composition because he is not satisfied with his previous one. When he loses a critical attitude toward his own work, he ceases to be an artist. - Dmitri Shostakovich
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pencil tool. Works like brush tool, except none of the anti-aliasing, so you can get absolute pixel precision with it. You can't get any harder edge than that. It's surprisingly under-utilized.

Jordan Beeston
    Sketchbook Livestream Infinity Wars
    Blessed are they who see beautiful things in humble places where other people see nothing. - Camille Pissarro

Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    We do transmutational yoga and eat alchemy sandwiches and ride flying unicorns of esoteric freudian solipsism while googling anthropology. Whee!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Beeston For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    use un-sharp mask filter, not the sharpen tool, then mask out areas that you want less sharp. Careful not to go over board with sharpening though, it can give a bit of a harsh digital look imo.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to M!CK For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everyone, i'll try those 2 out.

Sketchbook

A creative artist works on his next composition because he is not satisfied with his previous one. When he loses a critical attitude toward his own work, he ceases to be an artist. - Dmitri Shostakovich

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep I think what you want is the pencil tool; just use it for very sharp shapes and refine/smooth with your regular brush.

About the unsharp-mask, that's not a good idea ( same for sharpen ) because it adds unwanted colors at the edges detected.
    Try to copy your whole image, convert to a clean black and white, apply a High-pass filter and change its layer mode to "linear light" then play with opacity or mask values.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep I think what you want is the pencil tool; just use it for very sharp shapes and refine/smooth with your regular brush.

About the unsharp-mask, that's not a good idea ( same for sharpen ) because it adds unwanted colors at the edges detected.
    Try to copy your whole image, convert to a clean black and white, apply a High-pass filter and change its layer mode to "linear light" then play with opacity or mask values.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to funshark For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 2