Samsung Galaxy Note... Sketch on your phone with Wacom tech...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Samsung Galaxy Note... Sketch on your phone with Wacom tech...

Since I was getting ready to move, and wanted to stay plugged into the 'net when I shut down my DSL service... I had to get a mobile phone capable of 4G and wireless hotspot...

...So I started doing some homework a few months back. N-Trig Duosense and the newer Wacom technology that seems to be taking over for their 'Penabled' technology caught my immediate attention. Both are pretty good technologies, but price point left me out of the 10" and 7" tablet form factors (i.e. couldn't persuade the wife that I 'needed' them...). Then I ran across the Samsung Galaxy Note while reading about the new Wacom technology hitting the high end tablet market. Right now I think the HP Slate is the only 10" tablet with it, and a Galaxy 10.1 is in the works (EDIT added after writing: http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-13970_7-10011430-1.html the Tablet will have a digitizer pen with an eraser!)... But, the 5" (5.03") Galaxy Note is a fusion of phone and tablet...

Its a bit bigger than the iPhone/iPod, which is good for sketching. You have an honest Index Card card size screen. Its a bit weird as a phone, and doesn't fit in the pocket as easily... But, it can go far more easily in my cargo pocket then a 10" or 7" tablet. That, and the Wacom based S-Pen in the optional S-Pen Holder kit is pretty slick! Well worth the extra $50.

Compared to small moleskin (storyboard) book:

In the middle of an iPod Touch and Kindle Fire:

A quick scribble with Sketchbook Pro Mobile:

Being a 5" form factor I never rest my hand on the screen. However, thats not too much of a factor so long as the digitizer is touching the screen... However, in spite of being Wacom built... There is no pressure sensitivity in the nib. Being Wacom, there is no battery in the pen reducing the price point compared to the N-Trig Duosense based pens. My pen holder cost about $50 and came with an extra S-Pen. Replacements cost about $40 (or less from some sources, Amazon for example). N-Trig would charge about $80 and requires AAAA or some other insane battery that Radio Shack might carry (slight exaggeration there).

So, while this isn't going to be a true digital sketchbook... It might be worth getting instead of an iPhone. It costs less, and frankly is capable of more with the S-Pen (and I don't recall the iPhone providing you with the ability to set up a wireless hotspot for your computers to access 4G Internet... I could be wrong, I've kinda ignored the iPhone for a while...).

Last edited by Sudsy; May 21st, 2012 at 09:10 PM.
    Michael "Sudsy" Sutherland

CA sketchbook

Deviant Art Galleries:
    Sudsy Sutherland
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was planning to buy an Android and I was maybe thinking of a Samsung note, but do you recommend it for sketching? Can it be compared with Ipad? I youtubed and found none of sketching badass art from note. So I was thinking if it is powerful enough for fast heavy sketching?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba View Post
    I was planning to buy an Android and I was maybe thinking of a Samsung note, but do you recommend it for sketching? Can it be compared with Ipad? I youtubed and found none of sketching badass art from note. So I was thinking if it is powerful enough for fast heavy sketching?
    With most artist being the 'cult of Apple crowd' you are going to see more iPad art, that and iPads have been around for longer (what was it, early '09 or '10 that they came out?) than the Galaxy Note (late '11)... I do recommend it for sketching, and when I mean sketching I mean its going to be small stuff. Its a 5" screen, nothing more. Think of a small moleskin notebook... Its great as a sketch on the go phone. If sketching and art creation is your primary focus, and you don't have time to wait for the 10" tablet, get the iPad. Get one factory refurbished though... Don't go full price on that technology yet... Just sayin... Some things that are much better are on the horizon!

I'd recommend the Note if you are on the fence about what kind of phone to get, and want to get one that you can intuitively pick up and sketch with using Sketchbook Pro Mobile.

Michael "Sudsy" Sutherland

CA sketchbook

Deviant Art Galleries:
    Sudsy Sutherland

Members who have read this thread: 1