Begginer here, any tips?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Begginer here, any tips?

Hi everyone! I'm new here and I had a few questions, I hope this is the best place to post this !
    I want to start out by mentioning that I have never seriously drawn anything, ever. And I'm 21, off to a really late start huh? A few weeks ago on my 21 birthday I received a Wacom intous 5, I'm really interested in learning how to use digital painting to create the amazing art pieces you see daily here. I have watched tons of speed painting, and concept art videos on the internet, and it has really peaked my interest, I was wondering if you guys could answer some questions for me !

Having no artistic talent whatsoever, and no training or anything, where is the best place for me to start? It seems like there is so many things to know in order to create art that is it overwhelming, should I take an art class at my college? I am transferring to Calpoly in September and classes can be pricey should I take an art class there, or at my local community college where it would be cheaper? Do I start off drawing bodies of objects and stuff before trying to paint of even work on coloring anything or just dive right in and try to make concept art?

What kind of brushes should I use, and what opacity? Should the opacity be set to pressure sensitive or just the size? What is a good canvas size to start out in?

I know practice makes perfect but If I don't even know how to draw mountains, trees ect in the first place that makes it complicated.

Instead of working on a whole piece at once should I start out just trying to draw singular objects?

I bought a book on digital painting for beginners, but I really feel like I should be able to be able to draw well before being able to freely paint stuff

I want to focus on landscape paintings because those are my favorite types, thank you so so much for any help or advice you can offer!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome to CA!

Quote Originally Posted by Hazelnut Spread View Post
    And I'm 21, off to a really late start huh?
    No. It's only really late when you are dead.

I recommend you read the Back to Basics thread for a start.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the reply ! I'll check that out asap

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yep if your concerned about price.

Junior college it is.

there are also plenty of studios in the but even then just with zero drawing time, just take a super simple class at the junior college. That teaches the really simple stuff.

Don't wake me for the end of the world unless it has very good special effects

Fresh2draw.co.cc

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to try and take a summer class at the junior college before I go to Calpoly! As for right now, should I focus on looking at pictures and trying to replicate them?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello!

Here are my humble tips:

Practice makes perfect. Grab a pencil you like (try different ones and choose your favourite) and draw as much as you can. Everytime, everywhere.

Tablets are great stuff, they make it easy, fun and cheap in the long term, saving tons in oil, ink or brushes. But there is something special with paper, you can put it under different kinds of real light, shift it, wrinkle it or whatever. Especially when you start, traditional drawing helps a lot to improve your progress, don't forget it.

I had a lot of advice from self called artists who told me I had to learn in a very particular way. "You have to draw a glass/sphere a hundred times if you want to learn how to shade", "do this boring stuff first or you will never do what you want correctly". F**k that sh*t (excuse my language, I'm trying to f*cking emphasize), do what you like, have fun drawing, make it something you love, there is no reason to make yourself hate such a beautiful hobby. The only right thing about that wrong advice I got is that you have to master the basics, but if you want to do portraits, your sphere can be an eye, if you want to draw animals, your shading studies can be your dog's nose. Find something you like to draw and have as much fun as you can.

And, for me, the most important: be thankful for criticism. Encouragement is good, but no one can improve from just compliments, when you want to go one step beyond, listen carefully to those who hurt you, because they are the ones who will get you out of your comfort zone, the zone where mediocre is.

Never give up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the awesome reply! That really helps alot
    I just enrolled for drawing 1 at my local community college( even though I just graduated from it ) So that I can learn the basics and work on mastering them, and thanks for the advice of doing what you want to do and having fun with it !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's definitely never too late to start! I started drawing totally from scratch at 15, blobby anime stick figures and all. The important thing to remember is to pace yourself; You will see other people younger than you make things that look *amazing* and feel pressured to do things out of order (ex. making full-scale digital paintings before you've learned anatomy). Fundamentals are invaluable to any artist. The difference I've seen between novices and professionals are thus: 10+ years of fundamental studies, and drawing every day.

As RCM said, you don't need to do boring lame studies of cones if you don't want to. I highly recommend starting by drawing a lot of skeletons, photos of your favorite celebrities/models, hands, feet, and maybe your favorite food. One important thing to keep in mind is that you can't draw something if you don't know what it looks like! Use references (either photos or drawing from real life) as much as possible, and definitely use references for things you've never drawn. As you learn things like anatomy, composition and lighting you will be able to use "loose references," where you draw inspiration from a picture without using the pose or object itself.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck and hope you have a lot of fun! Can't wait to see what you come up with. (:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply it was really helpful! Once I make-worthy stuff I'll put it here!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Digital painting ,painting or watever begin with the same thing :drawing. So u really should learn the basic drawing skills first. After that,then u should start messing with the digital painting...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    21 a late start? lol I am 27 and just now properly starting to learn after to many wasted years with graphics/interface design, You just made me feel old! lol

Lurking and Learning!
    The Long Road Sketchbook - Watch as i start my journey to become a 2D Artist from the very start!
    My DeviantArt Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha, glad to see that I'm not the only one starting now!

Members who have read this thread: 1