Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

IDW # 205 : Alien Lava Vehicle

Topic: Alien Lava Vehicle
    Deadline: Wednesday, May 30

This week we are heading over to an extremely geologically active planet. This planet is crisscrossed in streams of lava which conveniently creates roadways for the denizens of the world. Your task is to design the everyday "car" or "bus" of one of these aliens.

Brief:
    1. Design and draw an Alien Lava Vehicle.
    2. That's it... now draw!

Name:  IDW New Round Logo.JPG
Views: 875
Size:  7.9 KB

Last edited by Pixie Trick; May 26th, 2012 at 06:10 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to try my hand at this. Been a while since I've drawn any vehicles.

I've tried to go for a sort of bus or small ferry that can travel on top of molten lava. Not really sure what kind of propulsion would be feasible, so I'm going to go for something that just looks interesting. I was inspired by some old bus and ferry designs for these, except for the first one wich is more like a supply boat or something.

These might not be the most alien looking at the moment, but my aliens are going to be very human like

Attached Images Attached Images  

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Obstfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Count me in!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool topic, nice thumbs Obstfelder, i like 2 + 3. I'm learning gimp right now for a side project, soooo, that be what i'm using.

wip-

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SnailsPace For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What do you guys think, cool or just weird and awkward? I'm having mixed feelings on this one. I'm thinking about stepping back and getting rid of all the tubing and stuff. c+c plx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the back shape of the first sketch is looking good. The front legs do seem a bit awkward.

It's a bit difficult to read as an Industrial design. It seems more like an organism almost, so yeah, probably reduce the tubes.

How does the engine/feet work?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Obstfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To me this is reading much more as a building or structure rather than a vehicle- the front legs in particular look like structural support as they are very long, and rigid. Another reason is that is has a very high centre of gravity and a very unbalanced shape. If it were to accelerate or slow down it would most likely snap those legs and tip over. The faster a car is, the lower it is to the ground for several reason, one of those being that it is most stable.

In regards to tubing- I like that it is exposed, but I suggest checking out ref of things such as your household electicalbreaker box. The wires tend to come out in rows from the source and then branch. These sorts of things tend to be laid out by engineers and they like straight lines.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixie Trick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like what your saying about breaker boxes and stuff, thats cool to think about, new way to look at it and all. My original idea was more organic/Victorian iron-rot/alien/everything else i could bash in there lol. But yeah, i wasn't using refs and it just ended up a weak design. Like i said, im playing with Gimp now, so im going for a speed painting type approach to this.

The propulsion system is magnetic, I'm pretty sure magma is strongly magnetized, so I'm thinking it can maneuver by adjusting polarity between its three poles. The magnetic field also works as a force field protecting the tips that are submersed. This also-also magnetically locks the ship into the magma, making impossible to tip over. And of course its tall, just so the rest of the ship doesn't melt.

The input is awesome and much appreciated!!

Heres the redesign after sleeping on it...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is what i have started, Im not liking the wheel design as much as i first thought. Im thinking about turning it into a lava boat.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pixie Trick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Obstfelder: I like the "City bus" and "Lava paddler" the best.
    SnailsPace: Well, it's certanly weird and creative. Remember that it will be illuminated by the lava from below.
    DNVN: You need to increase the contrast of the enire image.

Here's an early sketch of mine. I did many, really bad sketches, before arriving at something even acceptable. I also did this little illustration to put the vehicle in context. I will clean up the line drawing and draw the rear view tomorrow.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zelda_geek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    zelda_geek Thanks for the critique, seems like my values always suck . great work by the way.

Here is another small update i plan on working on it till the 3oth since the deadline has been extended. my values still need to be pushed further i think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    first time trying these challenges. here some wips. critique welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont know if I will have enough time to finish...But I'm going to try!

Here's some thumbs...not sure which yet...may try some more....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello everyone,

I was recently motivated to get back into (concept) art after wasting much of my time playing video games, and not spending too much time drawing / sketching. I came across ConceptArt.org, and I was blown away by the work you guys make! Absolutely stunning.

Anyways, I really want to pick up on art again, and to improve my skills, i'll try to join these weekly themes. I love the challenge, and hope i can learn alot from you guys.

About the theme; My initial thought when reading the theme, was the vehicle has to be amphibious, rough-terrain vehicle because the planet surface is made up of streams, as well as harsh rocky surface. Therefor, I thought about a basic car design, with big high-temperature-resistant threaded drums which serves as both wheels and floatation devices.

However, crossing a lava-lake, you do not want to get a 'flat' if you only have 4 'wheels'. I figure, the more floation devices, the better. These 'drums' are threaded, so that it has traction on both the rocky surface, as well as the high-viscosity lava.

Each drum will be connected to a seperate suspension system, so it can easily cross over uneven terrain. The overall look of the vehicle will be low, with a big surface to stabilize the vehicle when travelling over molten lava.

Unfortunately, my tablet does not function anymore, so either i'll have to fix it somehow, or purchase a new (used) one. Untill then, this unfinished block-model to explain my idea is all i can show you.

Any feedback is welcome, positive or negative. I join this challenge because I want to improve on my art, so evey bit of advice i can get from you guys is helping me out.

Thanks alot in advance!

regards,

ControColpo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my idea

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback!

Zelda-Geek: Very nice looking little UFO car. The illustration is really charming too. Hope you manage to finish it.

DNVN: I like the scale-fish-like look of the design. The composition is not showing off your design to the fullest potential though. Maybe you could show it a little more from above.

xingdesign: I like the tripod Idea. I think It would look stronger if the three legs extended directly from the cockpit, but perhaps you wanted that precipitous look?

8smoku8: I think it's looking really good. My only crit would be that the wheel/paddling thing at the back is out of perspective with the rest of the car.

ControColpo: Hard to give you anything constructive based only on the wheel design, but it seems like it could work. Hope you manage to fix your tablet.

Didn't get a lot done this week, but I managed something tonight (thanks for extending the deadline Pixie Trick). I mixed some elements from my first thumbs and tried to imagine several kinds of vehicles designed after the same principles. Not sure about wich one to choose though. I'm probably going for the bus, since it's looking very big and macho

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Obstfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And a color thumb for the illustration.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Obstfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Obstfelder Thanks for the crit, i really need to plan things out better, i love that last update by the way i get a good feel of the world and vehicle.

Last update from me not really happy with the colors, need to get back to study's

29. The Following User Says Thank You to DNVN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone,

Here's my progress so far;

I kinda like the overall shape of the vehicle so far, but it might have a more human design, like humans build it.

Also I fixed my tablet, so I tried to sketch it into an environment, but i do not really like the overall feel of it so far; too saturated i think. And I do not like the composition. I'll try to move stuff around later this week.

regards,

ControColpo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man this is an awesome topic. I wish that I wasn't so busy this weeked, I had a cool idea for it, but I just don't have the time to put in on this.

An Industrial Designer who likes to pretend he can paint.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    first ideas

but.. lava is a high viscosity fluid ( i imagine it almost solid ) so the next step from a boat propeller is a drill or a very fast vehicle that can glide like over it like a hovercraft. I assumed Aliens' technology is at our current era and similar to ours, no antigravity engine or sci-fi stuff, more like our automobile industry developed on a different enviroment, no wheels but drills

what i'm going with

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    8smoke - Love your design, would love to go speedboating in a lava stream

obstfelder - I really like your design. you obviously thought hard on the 'wheel' design. it seems like it'd really work in high viscosity fluid! i really like your colors.

DNVN - your lava powerboat looks awesome!! really like the scaled design of the hull

r3u5 - I like your propulsion method. I was thinking about some type of screw propulsion aswell, but my design started to look alot like one of those tanks from fallout 3... so i scrapped that idea. i like how you implemented the screw design.

Here's my progress so far. Still messing with the values of the environment and the vehicle... I kinda like the top left of the picture, in terms of colors.

regards, controcolpo

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ControColpo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff everyone, I got totally distracted this week. We finally kicked on the AC here, and kicked out this dumb ass bitch who was driving me crazy, so maybe i can think clear enough to draw something better than weird ass Victorian shit and giant bananas next week! lolz

Really some cool ideas in here fur sure!! Bravo!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been following this thread for a while now, and there's some really great work. I particularly like R3uS's, ControColpo's and xingdesign's, because there're some really novel ways of tackling the problem of driving on lava.

I kinda rushed for this one, so the deadline extension was a lifesaver

My vehicle (a 'bus') uses the heat from the lava to power itself. Water-filled pads are heated up, the steam from which shoots up pipes to the engines, making the turbines go around, which in turn power the thrusters that keep it floating above the lava.

Name:  lavavehicle_final2.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  402.5 KB

37. The Following User Says Thank You to maxdav90 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    where is the FINALS thread?

and here is my entry, I'm not really happy with it but it will do...

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Grievous_666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone,

I'm waiting for the final tread, but since its almost past wednesday here in The Netherlands, i'll upload my final here.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to paint the design the way i have it in my head. At the moment it's going very slow with finding the right colors and such. Hopefully, practice will improve that!

So anyways, the final design is a modular 'road'train that is capable of driving both on solid or liquid surfaces. The individual modules of the train can be used to carry either cargo or passengers, depending on the purpose of its journey.
    Each module is powered by a sterling-type engine, using the temperature differential between the hot planet's surface (specially lava) and the air above the vehicle.

Any tips and advice is welcome, because I really want to learn from these experiences to improve my art.

Anyways, looking forward to seeing all your final designs!

regards,

ControColpo

Last edited by ControColpo; May 30th, 2012 at 05:52 PM.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to ControColpo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Alien Lava Vehicle:
    The Wheels are combined with a propeller system that helps push the vehicle out of the lava as it moves. They are made from a composite of ceramics and asbestos and some other more exotic materials that allow them to be submerged in the magma without melting. The wheels are also the engine system of the vehicle. The open center of the wheels let the lava heat the piston system that forces them to turn around.

The ribbed sides are to maximise surface area and ensure better heat disipation to the atmosphere. In case of extra hot conditions the vehicle can extend it's cooling rods and shed even more heat.

This was as far as I could get with this right now. Would have liked to do more, but there is always next time.

Great work from everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry guys! Switching this around made me forget to put up the finals thread. I'm going to get it up now and it'll be there for about a day and a half (I'll be sure to do a 10h or so warning) and the new (crossover!) round will be up while the finals is open. Sound good?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixie Trick For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1