Sketchbook: Si_Swe: A Moderat(e/or's) Sketchbook - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Si_Swe: A Moderat(e/or's) Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Good work, really like the dragon on the first post!
    i think some of the paintings are missing lightsources.. you should play with those more

♦♦♦ SKETCHBOOK ♦♦♦
    DEVIANTARTSKETCHBLOGTWITTER
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Natalia Soleil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 714 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi dude,
    Its always a pleasure to see your creature design. The lighting and rendering are getting very good, looks like you are pushing the sharpness on your drawings towards a really solid finished result. Id like to see you risking a bit more with the contrast/ extreme lighting effects in some of your creations.
    Keep up the excellent work.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ricardo Robles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woah dude!

i've been so busy lately i haven't had a chance to see all this new awesome work you've been doing. crazy improvement since last i saw some of this stuff. i only remember seeing you're cow stuff recently but all the extra stuff is really quite impressive.

KEEP GOING!!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to (lark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,488 Times in 531 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Natalia Soleil - Hey, thanks. Yeah, as I've said, lighting is still very much something I struggle with. I'm looking to remedy that.
    Ricardo Rolbes - Thanks so much for stopping by. I'll definitely try to go for some more extreme lighting in the near future.
    (lark - Aw, thanks dude, I will. You too, eh?

I need to take a break from this piece for a little while. I decided to scrap the larger dragons, in favor of more in the background, since I felt it worked better as a composition (there was just a little too much going on). I'm going to work on something else, at least for now, before I really come back to this piece and give it some polish.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    Art Blog:May Contain Dragons; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kevin_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, outstanding work!! now i must draw... hope to see more from you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to johnny24 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey folks, I know it's been a while. I've had a hectic little while with work. I'm trying to get into the habit of drawing regularly again. At the moment I'm trying to wrap my head around not only doing portfolio pieces, but all the other projects I choose to take on. With work and that combined I'm having a hard time making time for myself, and I think my productivity is beginning to suffer from my prioritizing other things above it for the time being. NO MORE! I shall become a social recluse and draw... or something to that effect. Hmm... Maybe I should rethink this plan. No. I will draw!

Anyway, here are a couple of works in progress I'm working on simultaneously. the first is for the D&D 5th Edition art test. I already did the Test #3, so this is for the Test #1, wherein one was asked to create a shaman or a tribe cook for a particular type of monstrous humanoid. I'm taking on the shaman; I decided, design-wise to explore the piercings to a different extreme. I figured: what kind of piercing would be super brutal, and yet could have some kind of status. I liked the image of the mouth sewn shut, so I figured that the natural progression to that was to have piercings which stretch the eyelids open. I figured that, much like the massive lip rings of some tribal cultures, in this culture, the wider the shaman has stretched open it's lower eyelids, the more respect that denotes. Or, you know, I thought it might look neat...
    Name:  D&DArtTest1.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  287.8 KB

This second piece is only a tiny fraction of a larger work. I finished, a few months ago, a D&D campaign I had been running for about 4 years. I wanted to do a commemorative type of thing for that period of my life. I've also been meaning to do a tonne of character work, since I'm still relatively weak in that respect. I figured I'd do something along the lines of the Zelda 25th Anniversary painting. This is just the bottom 3 characters (of 25 total). I'll be posting more and more of the poster as it comes together, I think.
    Name:  Dreamers.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  189.8 KB

Art Blog:May Contain Dragons; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very cool concepts! Keep up the good work!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Uiriamu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kevin_ - Thanks. Gotta love dragons.
    johnny24 - Thanks so much. I hope to see more from me, too. Gotta keep at it!
    Murderotic - Thank you, I'll try.

Here's a little more on that shaman. Still haven't really started doing any of the secondary lighting and I'd like to intensify the contrast on the piece a little more (as well as render his lower half, obviously).

White face tattoos!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, the shaman is looking really great, one of the best designs I've seen for the art test yet!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychobuddy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Psychobuddy - Wow. Thanks so much.

I think I'm going to call it here, for now...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The dragon in the first post and the bubblegum rat are epic hell your whole sketchbook is mystical cant wait for the next C.O.W

Sketchbook

Everything is permitted

20. The Following User Says Thank You to GDM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been too long since I've properly drawn anything and it's mostly my own damn fault. Almost every summer I find my motivation to do all that work I promised myself I'd do at the beginning of the season just gets drained. I work a job that, while not particularly stressful, can be incredibly frustrating, especially for anyone with any kind of work ethic. Lately I've been finding that I come home and don't really have the motivation to do a whole lot of anything and that's really been getting to me. The thing is, I know that as soon as I start drawing I won't want to stop, but it's that initial jump I have to make to get myself there. Sometimes I wonder about being a career artist. It's the only thing I've ever wanted, and yet art has always been cathartic to me, even after studying it for so long. I often wonder how I'll deal with art once it's my full time job. I work in QA for games, and while I sometimes lose my motivation to play certain types of games while working that job, I still do ultimately enjoy playing games that aren't my job. I just hope that working in art never makes me lose the joy of doing art that isn't my job. I don't think it will, but it's an inkling concern.

Anyway, here are two very early WIPs I've been playing with. This first one is a piece I did for COW's "Warp Steed" round. Something I never finished, that I was heavily influenced by 80/90s saturday morning cartoons on. Right now I'm working more heavily on the second piece of these two, but I plan on coming back and either redoing the entire piece, or finishing what I have here...

Name:  COW271_WarpSteed.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  347.5 KB

This second one is a piece that started out as an idea for a shirt design, and as I worked with it more, I wanted to turn it into a more fully fledged illustration. It may be hard to make anything out right now since everything is in such an early stage. I wanted to take Ricardo's advice and do something with more intense lighting. Intense darks with multicoloured secondary light sources coming into play. I'm also coming to terms with the fact that realism isn't really my strong suit (style-wise) and I'm totally okay with that, so I'm slowly trying to push my work in a more cartoony direction. Something that still gives me the joy of rendering things, but that works with my less realistic design sensibilities.

Name:  Wrong Turn.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  257.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the creature paintings the most.What's neat is that with a linear dodge/add or screen layer in PS you can quickly dab on spec highlights an make them look nice and slimy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    udonhead - Thank you very much, I hope COW doesn't dissappoint. We are going through a transitional phase at the moment...
    GeniusFetus - Thank you. When it comes to sliminess, I tend to find it's a little overdone in creature paintings these days. Every creature is just totally glistening and covered in bloom because that salivating all over look is what's in for dark and gritty creatures. I'll admit there are a bunch of creatures I really should have upped the glisten factor on, but definitely not all. Certainly not my dragons, or any of my furred creatures. Just my two cents on that matter. Thank you, though, for the input.

Here are a couple of recent pieces. The first is a splash panel I decided to do based on a doodle of a gnoll I penned while I was visiting my folks in Toronto. I fucked up on the bow and accidentally erased a portion of the top half, which is why it looks a little skimpy compared to the bottom. I plan on going in and fixing that up soon enough.

Name:  Gnoll-Splash.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  407.4 KB

I also time lapsed this piece, so here's that for your enjoyment...

This second one is a drawing I've been meaning to do for a while. It's a concept I've wanted to do for a long time but couldn't figure out a composition I liked. I finally settled on this one. I wanted to evoke Kinoku Y. Craft's type of floaty, surreal-feeling fantasy, within my own style. I used this piece to explore fabric and textiles in a way I hadn't thought of doing before. I hope that comes through and looks okay. Cheers.

Name:  The Lovers.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  670.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I bow down to your awesomeness. Or I would if there was a bow smiley!

Keep it up bud!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.