Concept art-Newbie Help
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Concept art-Newbie Help

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Concept art-Newbie Help

So this is my first concept art environment. I know there is a lot of mistakes there, please critique! I need all the help I can get.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suggest cropping some of the left of the image and adding space to the right to delete unused space and give us room to look at the nearest castle. You might want to make that one even bigger, and you should definitely raise the contrast of that one. Maybe you could make the sky around the light side of the castle darker and more blue to make the orange stand out.
    good luck!

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Samszym For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,227 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Tigher perspective. And verticals that look vertical, to begin with.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like a good start. Its Ok to at first, but you don't want to hide behind to much white haze without some interesting color and light going on to suggest the background is still there just muted.

Clouds detail will scale with everything else, so in the farther areas it needs some edges of some sort to suggest structure. Very close=in it, cant see it but it makes a haze. Middle ground=edges, contours, shadows, etc give some definition of the clouds shape, far=more definition of outline less detail. This is all relative to each other and can be fairly tight i.e. just a little difference between near and far like in a moderately dense fog bank, or vast i.e. looking at distant thunder heads with bright sun in between while under a cloud in a rainstorm.

Clouds are different then atmospheric haze from particulate matter distributed more evenly. Atmospheric haze just mutes everything gradually to match the horizon color and value. Here is a lovely picture by Michael E. Gordon that may be of help visualizing haze.

Clouds can of course look pretty dramatic, weird, even fanciful, so there is no strict guideline as long as it looks cool, interesting, beautiful, or even scarey, and adds good things to the image. Check out these crazy real clouds.

Again its a good start, it has some coolness to it. Keep at it.

Last edited by KenHatch; May 21st, 2012 at 03:24 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KenHatch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    for KenHatch those were good references,

speaking of it I suggest you look for more which includes castle images, atmospeheric photos, etc

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nevermindjoker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not much to add. I agree that the some of the vertical lines are a bit off and the clouds could use some definition. I like it in general though, and think it has potential, just needs some developing. Good luck with it.

P.S. Are you sure those last two cloud photos arent photoshopped, KentHatch? They look a little too surreal.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Candra H For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Start off learning to do everything you can with a hard brush.

Candra H, those definitely aren't Photoshopped. For more beautiful/strange clouds, check out the Cloud Appreciation Society.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everybody, I'll post the picture once I finish painting it in the meanwhile..

@vertical thank you for the feedback, I'll crop off that part and then make the first castle the main focal point, which I should have thought about that in the beginning anyway.

@arenhaus yeah Ive tried to make it vertical maybe I should keep practicing on those lines more haha..Thank u.

@KenHatch Thanks so much! Those reference photos are really helping me out, especially the first description. I'll try that trick out with the haze being in the front of the photo than having details in the middle ground and background. I might as well take out the clouds on the top of the picture and have the 3 castles just sitting on the clouds, well I'll see if it fits the composition first.

@nevermindjoker Thanks Been looking for references on castles helps a alot, I should keep looking at reference photos more often, that's one of my weak points, thinking I can just paint things with my imagination.

@Candra H Thank you! I hope that my digital painting can be good so I can pull off the detail on the clouds..lol

@Elwell Thanks, I'll try with a hard brush next time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've hidden in atmosphere trying to create a compelling image in my work, that's what I see here too. Get in and mess it up, their is always the next one and you'll be better for it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Derra For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're welcome, Sparksfly. Looking forward to seeing where you go with it.

Off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Candra H, those definitely aren't Photoshopped. For more beautiful/strange clouds, check out the Cloud Appreciation Society.
    Thats a cool link, Elwell, thanks. I've got it bookmarked.

We get some pretty spectacular cloud formations here in Sutherland too, but nothing like those two photos above. They just look so perfectly sculpted I cant quite believe they're not tweaked in some way.

Ech, I probably need to stop being so cynical.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Too many waterfalls, no clear architecture, almost no hard edges.

At the moment the structures are a bigger problem than the clouds, and will take much more time to figure out.
    I think looking at some castle concept art might help. People are probably going to say "no, look at real castle for references" but this is nowhere close to a real castle. Frankly real castles are boring. So look at some exciting, inspiring images of castles for design ideas, THEN look at real castles for details to add authenticity.
    Also, find an interesting way to present this through composition and crop it.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to wilkerson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Derra: Thanks my next project I''ll be sure to mess it up lol

@wilkerson. Thank u, Yeah your right, just looking at those have no form at all..hopefully I fixed that, Also looked at references too, not just castles tho.

Okay heres my updated photo, I wasn't sure If I should add clouds at the top too...It seems kinda empty. Fixed the form of the castles. I wanted to add color to the clouds not sure If I did it right. I still feel there is something missing but not quite sure what it is, Texture maybe? Anyways thanks for the amazing feedback, If there is anything I should fix please tell

Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.