ChoW#289 :: King of Hell - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pretty nice work so far guys but it honestly feels to me like most of the designs are way too simple to be classified as a King. There are some that look like king but not king of hell and some that look like hell demons but not really kings. King is like the main guy so he should be epic and also portray intelligence - afterall he needs to keep everything together and keeping hell creatures in line is not an easy task considering how dire they are. Yeah i guess wht im trying to say is that there are a lot of good designs and rendering so far but they all dont look boss enough, they look like demons and generals not Kings.

--==== S-K-E-T-C-H-B-O-O-K ====--

Please take a look!!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to emerging For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    emerging, I think you nailed something important here. I don't think I managed to do good at all, maybe I should scrap this current wip and think more along those lines stated by you.
    Hmmm...
    I'll just post this next stage of my wip and be glad I feel like this work is a reflection of my personal improvement and is of course a bunch of fun.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kerah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @emerging True enough, but there's also the brief wich says to make something that is not your typical devil. We're just trying to defy expectations

But yeah, might be interesting to see the king commanding his minions and being boss at least. Now if there was only more hours in a day...

@Kerah I like your design. A mad king he might be, but he's still king. Maybe if you put lots of lost souls under his boot, he'd seem more lordly?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 771 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Emerging: You raise some valid points but they're mostly based on your view of what hell, kings and demons should be. It would be perfectly acceptable to say that the king of hell is merely just the strongest, vile and most feral of them all and that his right to the throne has been taken by brute force or just outgrossing everyone else, no intelligence whatsoever. Or that since they are constantly at war with heaven their king ought to be a wargeneral of some sorts, always in the frontlines thirsting for angel blood. Just saying

Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixeltuner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Pixeltuner Or that he inherited the throne, is unfit to be king and is going to lose it iminently. It depends on the story you want to tell. Of course we still need to somehow tell that story with the image. I think the problems we are having is more to do with being asked to take out the cliches but not having anything to replace them with.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Obstfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixeltuner View Post
    Emerging: You raise some valid points but they're mostly based on your view of what hell, kings and demons should be. It would be perfectly acceptable to say that the king of hell is merely just the strongest, vile and most feral of them all and that his right to the throne has been taken by brute force or just outgrossing everyone else, no intelligence whatsoever. Or that since they are constantly at war with heaven their king ought to be a wargeneral of some sorts, always in the frontlines thirsting for angel blood. Just saying
    not really my view of hell, more of visual and conceptual definition of King. Im just saying what i feel when looking at the concepts here. Whether my view is biased on certain images and concepts of hell and devil I was fed throughout my life makes no difference as we all are raised that way and nobody in modern society is detached from that. When i look at a picture without description i want to be able to tell what it is. When I see a demon that looks like a regular demon and not a king it is not my fault, it is my subconscious reaction to it. I dont think it's very beneficial for any artist to brand their paintings with titles that dont come across in the image.

I know what you mean about trying to get away from a regular perception of what the master of all evil would look like. But you can do so successfully without sacrificing his/her status that should come across in the concept. Afterall, the design assignment is King and not just a demon soldier or general or Death. Wouln't you agree?

Please take a look!!!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to emerging For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Meh there's no one to really answer to here so you can go whichever way you want.

Do you really need intelligence to govern eternal torture
    but then again you could say there's some kinda resource management and turnover involved in which case the king might be a numbercruncher/beaurocrat or a clueless dipshit with an overblown ego... filling in the gaps can justify any design.

Anyway here's mine with no hooves, no horns, no wings, no red skin (eventually), no pitchfork and no goatee

Attached Images Attached Images  
    "It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society"

my site
    chenthooran.com

deviantart
    mythrilgolem

13. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to mythril_golem For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by emerging View Post
    Afterall, the design assignment is King and not just a demon soldier or general or Death. Wouln't you agree?
    Sure. That's what all the elaborate headgear is about after all

So if I'm getting you right we should be doing better research on kings rather than demons?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Please allow me to introduce myself

I'm a man, of wealth and taste

I've been around for a long, long years

Stole a many man's soul and faith

And I was around when Jesus Christ

Had his moment of doubt and pain

Please to meet you

Hope you guess my name

......xDDDDD

******Just for confirmation, everybody knows which song I'm talking about right? Or is my music taste too antique.

Name:  King of Hell copy.JPG
Views: 863
Size:  149.1 KB

Last edited by Aaron_; May 23rd, 2012 at 04:59 PM.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aaron_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 771 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    not really my view of hell, more of visual and conceptual definition of King. Im just saying what i feel when looking at the concepts here. Whether my view is biased on certain images and concepts of hell and devil I was fed throughout my life makes no difference as we all are raised that way and nobody in modern society is detached from that. When i look at a picture without description i want to be able to tell what it is. When I see a demon that looks like a regular demon and not a king it is not my fault, it is my subconscious reaction to it. I dont think it's very beneficial for any artist to brand their paintings with titles that dont come across in the image.

I know what you mean about trying to get away from a regular perception of what the master of all evil would look like. But you can do so successfully without sacrificing his/her status that should come across in the concept. Afterall, the design assignment is King and not just a demon soldier or general or Death. Wouln't you agree?
    Like I said, you raised some valid points But (again) like I said, there are multiple ways to interpret what a king should be and act like and in because of context: look like. And therein lies the challenge of course. How to stray from the beaten bath of cliche's and present something that's fresh but also readable as king. A lot of these images could be justified by providing the right context (ie: lesser demons, generals or whatever to contrast the king) a thing which we unfortunately don't have time for so at first glance things might not be obvious. Maybe I'm too easy on everyone thinking that they thought everything through, I don't know (probably am)

Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys,awesome entries so far!!
    Here is my King,just a hazy sketch,he's still missing the crown and most of the major details,but I'm getting there...

MY SKETCHBOOK
    Friends' sketchbooks:
    Novbert
    BluezAce
    CarlSpringer

LtPlissken

"Storytelling is my passion.Shadows and lights are my muse.Art is my first love"-Shawn Martinbrough

http://www.freerice.com/-Help the starving by playing a trivia-each right answer means 10 grains of rice for the starving people!

http://durian.blender.org/-Awesome 3D movie project with Blender,a free 3D software!Check it out!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Progressed a bit more, i'll expand the canvas and finish and the legs and arms, then its the rocks, and last the background maybe, hope you like it so far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is mine so far. I'm not sure if he's bossy enough though :/ Also not sure if he should hold something in his right hand aswell. What do you guys think?

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thole For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pfffft;doodling to get ideas, hope by putting something up i'll be more likely to finish something in time, i'm gunna have to change angle as you cant really see 3/4 at this point in time but i got some ideas. Good work all some sick ideas so far, I agree with emerging on the subject of class; i see a lot of really cool warriors and deamons but not many dictators. (looking at my post again i realize that mine doesn't look like a king either lol).

Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Obstfelder : you're right, I was hesitant to add a background element as I still have some trouble fitting character and environment in a cohesive way, but I guess tackling the problem is the only way to solve it. I added a background, which, as cliché as it may be, I kinda like it.

@Emerging : I agree with about half of your argument, and half with pixetuner's. There are several different portrayals of what a king is/should be depending on your belief(and there are far too many beliefs out there) Being Peruvian, let me tell you that at least in our andean folklore, the kings and leaders of the demons are not a lot more intelligent that your average human himself, but it's the witch doctors who summon them and use their powers for evildoing, yet the demonic hierarchy is ruled by who is more powerful, not intelligence. Most often, its the human that outwits the demonic entities.

@Mythril_Golem : I.....think you nailed it dude. What you have done, is an evil, twisted, monstrous motherfucking entity. It reads well that this thing has not a drop of compassion within his heart(or lack thereof), hence being pure evil. Nice!

Most religions portray the devil as a smart trickster or a superb leader, as I have just layed an example, the minorities should also count

here's my slow progress. I was buisy last night and I just got home a while ago, so I tried my best at sketching up this background quickly, although i'll take my time to refine both the character and the background a bit until sunday!

Last edited by SandyMan; May 23rd, 2012 at 06:56 PM. Reason: ommited a message to mythril_golem

24. The Following User Says Thank You to SandyMan For This Useful Post:

Sethlene is offline Improvements in progress Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

CHoW#289

Lets see if I can refrain from wussing out and getting distracted! I keep meaning to do stuff on here... I hope it's not too big...^^

Inspiration/Influence: Cthulhu, Thoth, Conan the Barbarian, and I'm thinkng a Giant lizzard and a Giant cephalopod. (where I'm wanting to take it.)

I kind of want to clothe him/her/it in scalps and bejewel it in faces and may be babies, but the rules said something about taste, so I'm not sure if that'd be pushing it.

~Set A. K. E.

http://bumpytheshroom.deviantart.com/...and on Facebook as Set Elliott

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SandyMan View Post
    @Obstfelder : you're right, I was hesitant to add a background element as I still have some trouble fitting character and environment in a cohesive way, but I guess tackling the problem is the only way to solve it. I added a background, which, as cliché as it may be, I kinda like it.

@Emerging : I agree with about half of your argument, and half with pixetuner's. There are several different portrayals of what a king is/should be depending on your belief(and there are far too many beliefs out there) Being Peruvian, let me tell you that at least in our andean folklore, the kings and leaders of the demons are not a lot more intelligent that your average human himself, but it's the witch doctors who summon them and use their powers for evildoing, yet the demonic hierarchy is ruled by who is more powerful, not intelligence. Most often, its the human that outwits the demonic entities.

@Mythril_Golem : I.....think you nailed it dude. What you have done, is an evil, twisted, monstrous motherfucking entity. It reads well that this thing has not a drop of compassion within his heart(or lack thereof), hence being pure evil. Nice!

Most religions portray the devil as a smart trickster or a superb leader, as I have just layed an example, the minorities should also count

here's my slow progress. I was buisy last night and I just got home a while ago, so I tried my best at sketching up this background quickly, although i'll take my time to refine both the character and the background a bit until sunday!
    ohh dont get me wrong guys, i didnt mean that it has to look intelligent in 100% of the time. I was giving that as an example of one way of thinking about how to portray it as a King rather than just a creep or a common demon

Please take a look!!!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to emerging For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ohh dont get me wrong guys, i didnt mean that it has to look intelligent in 100% of the time. I was giving that as an example of one way of thinking about how to portray it as a King rather than just a creep or a common demon
    Hey, no problem, sometime's its hard to convey tone through merely written words, but I know you were giving positive general advice. That's why I said I agree with half the your argument, seeing that my own design relfects the fact that there's still a myriad of thing missing to really make it look like a ''king'' XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's the ritual and context that make kings seem larger than life, right? So if I want to show the king of Hell I can use some of those ritualistic trappings. That's why the crown is important.

But a good strong leader would be portrayed like you say: Imidiately recognizable as a powerfull leader. But a terrible leader would make a mockery out of it, and I imagine the king of Hell to be the worst kind of leader there is.

Of course I've used deities like Shiva as basis for my image and not a human king, so he might be more of an evil religous leader in Hell

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Obstfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

CHoW#289_Sethlene_wip#2

This will be the last set of guestures for this guy. I wish I could keep better track of when this starts! XD Oh well, better now than never. On to sketch phase!

~Set A. K. E.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    seven blue screens later... is the fire too much?

blood check
    fire check
    crown ???

"Take credit for anything embedded in the edit as long as you ment it when you said It"

Sketchbook <-nsfw|Deviantart | Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

CHoW#289_Sethlene_wip#3

Sketch start. ^_^

~Set A. K. E.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A little. ^^ May be set parts of the blood on fire instead?

~Set A. K. E.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Sethlene For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Incinerated View Post
    this will be awesome

EDIT: I left a wiki link in the theme suggestions thread, may be nice for inspiration, so here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_theological_demons
    And thank you for posting this entry, effectively sucking up an hour of my life with the irresistible call of Wikipedia.

Unfortunately will be out of computer contact most of the week so tragically I'll miss out on this excellent topic. More unfortunately, I didn't figure this out until I'd already done all my sketches and preliminary designs. Noooo, its like my King of Hell is stillborn! On the bright side, man is there a good turn out of talent this week!

@Hoa-Nam
    The concept right now isn't really grabbing with with "demon king", more "giant robot". The geometric shapes, while interesting, speak to something more rocky or metallic. Maybe try introducing some more organic shapes into it, some fluid lines or spikes or something? Organic shapes mate, try some.

@GEB
    Dude. DUDE. Amazing.

@Mithril Golem
    Fantastic, I'm really glad you've chosen the design route you did. Maybe integrating the ravens into the rest of the body with some textures in the skin or some feathers would really push it to the next level?

@Aaron
    But of course we know! The Stones are the true kings! I like the direction yours is going with the modern feel but the crop of the image seems really constraining. You could make him look damn imposing my making him sitting on the other side of some epic wide desk surrounded by the finely-shaking booties of his Hell maidens. Just a thought!

@Captain Surge
    The rendering and pose are nice but the character design isn't screaming "monarch of Hell" more than "that Planeswalker chick from MTG". I know the brief said to eschew the traditional "devil" imagery like horns, etc, but right now I'm not getting "demon" at all from this. Maybe give her scales or something?

@Thole
    Agreed, needs more bossiness.

@Obstfelder
    I... don't know what to make of that...

Good lucks guys! SOOOOOOO abominably pissed I can't be a part of this one. x infinity...

-Dread_Reaper

Dread_Reaper's (HORRIBLY OUTDATED) Book of Darkness and Stuff

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119607

Current Threads:

DIABLO III fan art
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=275543

Also check out my new website!

http://nickgilliland.daportfolio.com/

37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dread_Reaper For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "Take credit for anything embedded in the edit as long as you ment it when you said It"

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Incinerated For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks y'all! I'm not sure how much I'd stick to my stylization for further rounds/weeks, but this was hella fun.

My wippy wippy king. Also emerging brings up nice points and so does pixeltuner. The beauty of these weeks is the open-endedness and we choose to extrapolate and emphasize more. A kingly demon or a demonic king really, and both of those phrases emphasize a different aspect so when it boils down to it, regardless, we're all fulfilling the criteria.

41. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hekatoncheir For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In the 16th circle curling was a big thing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Incinerated View Post
    Another hour gone nooooooooooooooo...!!!

Seriously though Inferno is a favorite of mine, hence I am so epically bummed about sitting out this week.

@Hekatonchier
    I like the dramatic pose and the movement of the piece, but what are those things behind your King? Defining that a bit more will help draw the character design together because right now its a little unspecific.

@Incinerated
    I would have thought the icy 9th Circle would have been into curling, but maybe the spot of Lucifer's eternal imprisonment wasn't evil enough to play host to the cursed Canadian sport...

-Dread_Reaper

Dread_Reaper's (HORRIBLY OUTDATED) Book of Darkness and Stuff

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119607

Current Threads:

DIABLO III fan art
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=275543

Also check out my new website!

http://nickgilliland.daportfolio.com/

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Dread_Reaper For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    What an awesome topic. Truly imaginative.
    Emerging: Boy, you've had your hands full with that comment way back haven't you? Hehe, that's what you get for being smart old buddy. I completely agree with you, and the people that are arguing the fact. In fact, I'm looking forward to both interpretations of this topic. It's an opportunity for a great range of possibilities.

I haven't participated in a CHOW for a looong time...Here's what I've got so far.

Last edited by scorge; May 24th, 2012 at 02:57 AM.
    Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

46. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to scorge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pretty nice work so far guys but it honestly feels to me like most of the designs are way too simple to be classified as a King. There are some that look like king but not king of hell and some that look like hell demons but not really kings. King is like the main guy so he should be epic and also portray intelligence - afterall he needs to keep everything together and keeping hell creatures in line is not an easy task considering how dire they are. Yeah i guess wht im trying to say is that there are a lot of good designs and rendering so far but they all dont look boss enough, they look like demons and generals not Kings.
    This may have been pointed out but I suppose the foregoing is a matter of opinion. I believe a true lord of the underworld needs no ostentation. True power needs no brandishing. I've always felt the most potent evil is also the most subtle. So there.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1