Gnomon's Entertainment Design: Need portfolio? Job placement? Site is vague
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Gnomon's Entertainment Design: Need portfolio? Job placement? Site is vague

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gnomon's Entertainment Design: Need portfolio? Job placement? Site is vague

CALLING ALL CURRENT AND PAST GNOMON STUDENTS! Help please!

I'm planning on applying to Gnomon to take the 1 year Entertainment Design course, but am a little confused as to the admissions process at Gnomon.

On their website's admissions section for the 1 yr ED program, Gnomon admins state that "Artwork samples are recommended view our portfolio guidelines. Please send your samples one of the following ways:" etc

Recommended? As in "would be nice but not necessary"?

I also read in another thread that a girl who is currently enrolled in the ED program was also under the impression that no portfolio was required but asked for one anyway. So which is it?

Also- if it is the case that Gnomon's ED program does not require a portfolio, does this mean that it's more of a foundation course than anything?

On their site, Gnomon claims to have a 97% job placement rate [as of May 2012] but does this apply to all their programs? Including the 1 yr ED?

I don't expect to land my numero uno, absolute dream job right out the gate- especially when there are 3 year program grads and such to contend with, but I would like to know how likely it is that my time at Gnomon, provided that I give it my 1000000% , would not have been for naught just because I can only afford the ED program [both financially and time wise].

Will completion of the ED program at least get my foot in the door, or should I consider the ED program to be JUST a foundation and start looking for a different program/accept that I need to take a different, longer course?

On a side note: how far, geographically, can Gnomon place you with a job? I am American, but I am married to a German and we live in Germany. I will be taking a year to go to Gnomon but very very very much wish to work in Germany following my completion of the ED course.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Let me see if I can answer all your questions .
    One think you must understand is that all I repeat, all art schools want to see your portfolio, applying to one without showing what you can do too amateurish and naive. I will be going there next year and already talk to an advisor when the program came up two years ago. He said that it is recommended to take art classes before applying for the 1 year program. The reason some people call it a foundation, is because the program was created to allow people to be top notch before applying for the 3d program. They didn't want to have 3d designer without them also being proficient in concept design.

As to what to make of it yourself, it depends on you, it you give it your best and practice to the max you will come out ready, so basically whether you are ready or not depends on you.

That's all I have.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mmm, makes sense. Thanks for the intel. I was just concerned that the fact that the ED program was the shortest of those offered at Gnomon would reflect poorly on students as prospective employees in the future. Your affirmation that it's more what you put into the work that the amount of work offered to you, along with a similar statement made by another user on a separate forum, has given me some peace of mind insecure though I may be in my present skill level, I AM confident in my ability to work my tush off so thanks~

No idea about how far overseas the Gnomon network reaches though huh? I will call them Monday to ask myself, but just wondering if case you had made any similar inquiries already.

In any case- much thanks~

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.