Thanks

Moving to Seattle. Advice?

Moving to Seattle near 1st Ave and Pine next month from Phoenix. Just looking for some insight about the city. Areas to avoid, places to check out etc..

Also wondering how reliable/efficient the bus system is out there? I lived up in Shoreline many years ago so I don't know too much about the city. I just know I hate the sunlight so Seattle seems to be the place to go. (haha)

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 474 Posts
    Lived in Seattle for about 14 years...

You are really moving to the heart of downtown. So all I can say is be prepared to experience a lot of people!

As for areas to avoid? Not really anything specifically. Might want to steer clear of Pioneer Square after bars close (same for Belltown, which is closer to your area), but even then there really isn't anything to be scared of.

After midnight seattle has never been a place that I feared for my life. You might get mugged if you get some bad luck, but that's about it (Myself, I was once mugged after midnight on Capital Hill, but it seemed very random. Like the guy wasn't even thinking he was going to mug anyone...he just saw an opportunity and his mind clicked over). I think overall, Seattle has a larger problem with crazy people than anything. There is plenty of crime, but keep sharp and you'll be fine. Just know when to sense something is off and you'll have no troubles.

Everyone uses the bus, even people with cars. They are mostly dependable unless there is snow.

It does rain a lot in the fall and winter, but we are in the spring/summer months now...so expect a lot of sun!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the info Dusty. (Lived in SF for a while, so as long as the crazy situation isn't that bad, think we'll be ok haha)

We have a 9 month lease and I thought spending that in downtown would be convenient as far as checking out surrounding areas to potentially move to. We'd like to get a bigger place after the lease is up, that's not directly in downtown - any districts you'd recommend? Within say, 2-3 miles of downtown.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 474 Posts
    any districts you'd recommend? Within say, 2-3 miles of downtown.
    If you are in your 20's I'd say Capital Hill or University District.
    If you are in your 30's I'd say Fremont, Ballard or Wallingford.

I lived on First Hill (directly south of capital Hill) when i was in my 20s and it was fun, but it was almost like as soon as I hit age 30, I got absolutely fucking sick of all the hobos, "artists", and college kids. Call me an old man, but everything about it just started to really grate on me.

BUT, the food/bars/coffee on capital hill is great.
    The only downside is that it seems as if this city is systematically trying to destroy all the culture that capital hill once had in favor of more condos and walgreen's.