Hand Exploration
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Hand Exploration

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hand Exploration

I created this piece for a couple of reasons, to try and understand hands a bit more, and all their in's and out's, as well as experimenting with colours, which I've been doing for quite a while now.
    I'm having a lot of problems with hands that are just driving me crazy, the foundations don't seem right, especially on the tips. I'm using my own hand for reference, but it's not clicking like I need it to. Has anyone got any pointers to help bring this piece together?
    (ps, I'm also stuck on how to add the hair into this effectively, but that's something to focus on when I'm finished with the hands.)

Name:  Nails copy.PNG
Views: 250
Size:  876.6 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You aren't following the form, that's why it looks odd. I think you're trying to ad lib the hands, but don't have enough awareness of their structure and end up floundering.

Try building the hands out of little boxes. That'll help visualizing the form.

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You actually have a decent sense of gesture with the hands...but structurally and anatomically they aren't well understood. I applaud the creative approach but would not recommend this as a way to study or understand hands...yours or hands in general.

Go to the usual suspects to study: Loomis - Drawing Heads and Hands...Bridgman, Alphonse Mucha's drawings have exceptionally elegant and expressive female hands...and I would recommend doing your study in traditional media...about 1K times easier.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Small update, I've been tweaking the hand just above her right eye alone - once I know what to aim for and see what you think. Then I'll use that (as well as my right hand) for reference throughout the rest of the pic.
    I went back to foundations in structure to try and get a more accurate idea of the hand and its position, but still having some problems. JeffX99, I have been studying hands in my sketchbook with pencil for a little while now but pencil and shading only helps me so much - I wanted to experiment with skin colours also, as I often find them difficult to do. Plus, a project piece like this can hold my attention for quite a while, which is always helpful.
    I often use Loomis for reference and tips, but something in my head isn't clicking yet, which is what I'm trying to force through this piece. If I learn something(s) new, then I've completed my goal.

Name:  Nails copy.PNG
Views: 131
Size:  873.8 KB

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thge problem is you're spending effort and time on a piece that is keeping you from spending the effort and time effectively. A piece like this, if you know how to draw hands already, would be no problem. But if you don't understand hand structure, form and anatomy you could spend all the time you want and it won't work.

There are just some ways to learn things that are better than others.
    It's a neat image and idea...put it aside until you have a much better grasp (no pun intended) on drawing the hand.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JeffX99, I already do studies on a fairly regular basis. Maybe it's not enough, but I'm not great at sitting down for hours at a time to do life drawings alone. I wish I was, and I'm getting better at it; I've been doing realism studies all afternoon in my sketchbook. But paintings like these keep me going, and keep my interest and inspiration chugging along when studies would have knocked me over hours ago. And doing something is always better than doing nothing, right? Even if it isn't the most time-costly, effective way to learn.

And please, can someone explain ad-libbing for me? It's not a term my tutors use, and googling it only brings up results regarding acting.

Last edited by Spikings; May 21st, 2012 at 05:32 PM.

RomanRiot is offline Dedicated Student of the Arts Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Spikings, great concept definitely. Ad libbing is when you do something on your own, without guidance or cues. Folks have been saying you're ad libbing the hands because they look to be drawn from memory, not some actual source. Bit of advice, just put your hands in those positions and do a paint over using them as a ref. Don't have feminine hands? Ask a girl to model her hands in those positions for two secs and take pics to use later. Keep it up!

"It is ten per cent how you draw, and ninety per cent what you draw. "
    -Andrew Loomis

Check out my sketchbook!

My Profile Albums

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RomanRiot For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.