Sketchbook: I'm new! Help me learn. Comics, Inking, Penciling, Coloring, Scientific Illustration. - Page 3

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that first skull and twirlly twig thing look incredible! so does the inked bear
    ahaa I'm scared to death of finished projects too....guess we're scared of tarnishing good ideas

some things to pay attention to
    -chicken scratch lines, as insecure as you are about your lines, fake it, try to render something in as few lines are possible instead of hesitantly making small lines that connect. you'll pay more attention and study better if you try to render things in fewer lines
    -I see you're already using pen so now I'd suggest doing more with the pen but, instead of rushing things like your gestures, try to focus on forms and blocks of shapes, you're losing a lot of the form by just using stick gestures
    look at this sketchbook, their gestures are amazing in terms of form and movement
    -faces, focus on the planes to render more realistically, study bridgman or other anatomy books
    I'm new! Help me learn. Comics, Inking, Penciling, Coloring, Scientific Illustration.

you've got great rendering skills and you can get so far! keep it up

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @kysg: so true, so true. Here's to hoping we all have more good days than bad days.

@Claudio: You're right! I didn't have time to draw yesterday or the day before other than a few figures/faces, and today I really missed it and had to make time to draw. It was a good feeling! And I hear ya, it's surprising that the History Channel is showing something that's actually about HISTORY instead of aliens and swamp people. Hatfields and McCoys is awesome, so intense, I'm glad you're watching!

@Duplicitious: thank you, thank you, thank you. I really needed to hear that about my lines. Even though i know chicken scratch lines are a huge NO, I can't keep myself from doing it. I've been really trying to not do them these past few days, hopefully my brain can get used to the idea quickly.

I am going to upload my sketches tomorrow morning, I'm too tired to deal with much more computer nonsense at the moment. I hope you all are kicking ass and making progress with your studies this weekend

Sketches!

"The most accurate way to predict the future is to create it." --Andrew WK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SO this is what I was up to yesterday, just a couple more band logos and designs for friends. I'll be getting back to studying gesture/form/proportions this week!

Band name.
    I'm new! Help me learn. Comics, Inking, Penciling, Coloring, Scientific Illustration.

This liddol guy is something I drew last summer (the first image) but recently decided that he needed a makeover (second image). The first time around I just used a crappy Sharpie that was running out of ink, but NOW I have fancy ink bottles, brushes, and crow quill nibs (I used ink, brush, and a micron this time). My lines are much smoother than they were before and I'm no longer quite as annoyed by my sloppiness.

BEFORE

AFTER

Critiques of these are completely welcome.

Sketches!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wicked awesome

Thanks
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 795 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Fucking love that tyrannosaurus zebra! XD My only crit is that the full frontal view makes the body a little confusing; if you hadn't told us the concept, I would have seriously confused by the hooves sticking out the side.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @dierat: thank you very much, I definitely see how the body is awkward, I should have thought a little bit more about the angle of it when I was in the planning stages!

I can't get myself to sit down and sketch these past couple days, and it's a bad feeling. Too many other things on my mind. Tomorrow's a new day though, I am going to try my very best to get motivated

Sketches!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oooooh gestures are IMPROVING! how exciting....And you seem like quite the designer as well, judging from the Trex and some of your earlier stuff. I love the soldier ink drawing. A lot of character to it. The profile rendering you did on page 2 is good, but maybe try pushing the values more, so it isn't as gray (I have to do the same with my own work ). I'd be interested to see what you can do with the style you used on the cat skull, since the soft shading against the hard lines seemed to be working well for you. Keep it up

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

It's progress, NOT perfection.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love your gestural drawings. You have a lovely sense of volume and form as well and movement and dynamics.

Click the links, please! There's free booze, really.

Blogspot: http://markkilkelly.blogspot.com/

Sketchbook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post3473394

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ghast: thank you so much! I really like being told what people think works and what doesn't. I agree about the values being darker, but it's difficult to do with graphite because the darker you make it, the shinier it gets. I'm going to go buy some charcoal pencil and maybe some carbon ones to see how I like them and how far those values can be stretched.

@Fullmetal Animator: First of all, I love your username. Second, thank you for the compliment, I've been trying really hard at gesture lately. Still need to work on adding form though!

This morning I found a page full of free art book pdf's, everything from animation to Hogarth to Vilppu. They may be helpful if, like me, you're a poor college student.
    http://floobynooby.com/FAD/

Last edited by LukeStarkiller; June 5th, 2012 at 03:06 PM.
    Sketches!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh my, somebody actually thinks my name is cool. =^.^=

Another free to download book you'd be interested in is this one for gesture drawing by Walt Stanchfield. Perfect for drawing key poses or storyboards if you want to go for a loose and rough pen sketch look.

http://www.floobynooby.com/pdfs/gest...ranimation.pdf

Click the links, please! There's free booze, really.

Blogspot: http://markkilkelly.blogspot.com/

Sketchbook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post3473394

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fullmetal-Animator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Fullmetal Animator: I love that pdf, I have the link posted somewhere in my SB I'm so glad somebody else likes it too. It's really changed the way I think about movement, etc. Thank you.

I just did some gestures for the first time in a few days and am pretty surprised with how well they came out. I could still loosen up my lines a bit, but taking a break actually seems to have helped. I tried to concentrate on long lines too, not scratchy, broken ones. Looks a lot better! The last one however a twenty-ish minute study, does not look that great. I ruined it with the ink wash.

More later.

Sketches!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet sketchbook! I love how flowly and expressive your work is, it is something I hope to be able to achieve myself someday. Oh and by the way, you mention drawing from your elbow..how exactly is that done? Pardon my brain deadness, I'm a wrist drawer trying to break the habit. XD Drawing from the shoulder has finally clicked for me...well at least I think it has. And when you draw that way do you draw the entire drawing that way or just initially to get the basic shape and form down?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @twilightmoon777: thank you so much, I still feel like getting my lines flowy and expressive is something that I really need to work on. I've found that studying animation helps a lot. You know, I'm not entirely sure what the "correct" way to draw from your elbow is, but I basically just pretend my wrist isn't able to bend and use my elbow for moving the pencil around (except for tight lines in small spaces that don't really need flowly lines--I draw from the elbow just to get the gesture and forms down, then I tend to switch to tighter wrist drawing for shading. I think anyway, I'll pay more attention to it next time I'm drawing). Unless I'm misunderstanding the entire concept of "drawing from the wrist/elbow/shoulder", I'm pretty sure it's all the same, you're just using different parts of your arm I hope this made some sense.

Sketches!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to LukeStarkiller For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I'm not gonna lie, this is the first week of my summer and I've been partying WAY too hard, which means everything serious has totally fallen by the wayside. But I've done a little bit of work; here's a sample from my batch of gestures I've done. I'm happy with how they're looking! always room for improvement of course, but i'm feeling a little bit better about my ability. Just goes to show what a little bit of practice can do for ya.

Sketches!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I really love the final image in the list, especially the side view of the relaxing lady. Do you lay the arrows down before or after you generate the gesture?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your gestures are coming out really well, much better than I was ever able to achieve. But I would like to some more finished projects!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Liking the gestures, the lines are so ... i don't know how to describe it , sleek? It seems like they're just made in one swift movement shows a lot of fluidity in my opinion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice job. What do you use to scan your art? A fax copier?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, thanks a lot guys.

@rishenko- I add the arrows after drawing it to kind of "review" the motion and see which direction the body is moving in. Like where the motion lines are. I don't know, the arrows help me see the flow a little bit better.

@iamkennstan-practice! your gestures honestly already look really good from what i've seen you post. just practice.

@frankfrank-thank you, sir. i've been trying really hard to focus on the "one swift movement" thing, picturing the image as one fluid object rather than breaking it up in to different, disjointed pieces. It's a lot easier to see the movement of a shape this way.

@BlueTarget-I actually just use my camera and adjust the contrast a little bit in a photo editor if the image is too dark from the poor lighting in my house I really should invest in a scanner some day soon, though.

Sketches!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys! Figured I'd post since it's been a few days.

I've been fleshing out some ideas for some "finished" work today, so hopefully i'll get some of that underway this weekend. I feel like I have a lot of good ideas, things that HAVE to get out of my head, but I can never seem to actually let them out. I overthink it, and if I actually end up carrying an idea out, I almost always hate it. Studying anatomy, observation, and reading art books helps boost my confidence, but still, it's scary. This time though I feel a little bit empowered. Wish me luck.

Here is a drawing that's probably three or four months old. I drew it when the new Batman arc started getting intense with the Court of Owls. I did this before I started experimenting with micron pens and ink,so this was just done with a crappy Sharpie. I'm tempted to redo it with nicer tools like I redid the Tyrannosaurus Zebra, but I think I'll leave it alone for now.

Detailed photo.

Still working on constructing faces and doing some gestures but I'm so sick of posting so many of those, haha, so I'll leave them for next time.

Sketches!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, micron pens are a godsend to me since I can really go crazy with details on the page. And that's amazing work you did with the owl drawing (are you sure you only used Sharpies for that?).

And quick, random question what size paper did you use to draw that?

DA profile

My Sketchbook

"The one thing the world will never have enough of is the outrageous." - Salvador Dali

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So good. For only having one finished piece on page one you sure are good at making them look pretty! The Owl is excellent, but my favorite is the T-Zebra. The idea in and of itself is comical but with the foreshortening you did it makes it hilarious, not to mention its so well drawn. Keep them commin. Your gonna be a rockstar

*New Sketchbook* Come stop by :3

*SKETCHBOOK*(old)

I am currently looking for a mentor to help me improve my sketch book. Either that or lots of crits and suggestions to help me improve my skills.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Quetzalcoatl: haha, i'm positive it was only a Sharpie. It was one of those really nice fine point Sharpie pens, not the thick marker kind. I actually really liked that pen until I discovered the wonders of Microns, they have much better line variation. The paper is 14x17in.

@Newman101- Thanks! I'm trying

Sketches!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha, i'm positive it was only a Sharpie. It was one of those really nice fine point Sharpie pens, not the thick marker kind. I actually really liked that pen until I discovered the wonders of Microns, they have much better line variation. The paper is 14x17in.
    Awesome. I only have those marker Sharpies so I didn't know that they made thinner ones. As for me, I prefer using 11x17in paper myself for projects like these.

DA profile

My Sketchbook

"The one thing the world will never have enough of is the outrageous." - Salvador Dali

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome line work with the inking!!! I think that owl one with the batman symbol, looks amazing! The lighting looks really cool. Keep up the good work!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Joe: thanks man!

Sketches!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jesus. That owl and zebra-thing look amazing. So detailed, I'm in awe, especially when it comes to the Owl it looks so clean and smooth and without error : O

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet owl! Crappy sharpie? If that is the case you made that sharpie look awesome. :p How long did it take you?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @frankfrank and @twilightmoon: thanks! it took a couple of days. It actually went pretty quickly because a lot of it was just patterns (and I am very impatient, so I rushed through it a bit).

Some more drawings to come soon! A few friends of mine are getting ready to start a graphic novel and have kindly asked me to do some of the art. It'll be really great practice, I'll be sure to post some of it on here once it gets started.

Sketches!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2