What can I improve on?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: What can I improve on?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What can I improve on?

I'm sort of satisfied with the overall look of the image, but...
    The petals and some leaves are glass, the other leaves are bone, and the rest is metal... does that come across?
    And what else in general should I work on?
    Name:  tulip.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  76.5 KB
    I cropped the sides off, and I used Paint Tool SAI and Photoshop
    Thank you, and sorry if I missed anything...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,230 Times in 1,350 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cloverbat View Post
    I'm sort of satisfied with the overall look of the image, but...
    The petals and some leaves are glass, the other leaves are bone, and the rest is metal... does that come across?
    No, not really. Sorry. There is no texture or lighting pattern in your picture to suggest the material in any way.

And what else in general should I work on?
    Line quality and cleanness, composition, perspective, structural drawing, lighting, values. In short, all the basics required for good drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you want to get the look of glass, metal and bone, you need to look at glass metal and bone, paint what you see, not what you think. A good way to do this is to take a few photographs of what you are painting and have a real good look at them, I mean really stare at 'em for a while, you need to understand that what you paint is exactly what you see, you are, in effect, taking a photograph over a period of time when you draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, thank you! I'll find some pictures of different materials and some well-made drawings to study

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cloverbat View Post
    Okay, thank you! I'll find some pictures of different materials and some well-made drawings to study
    Nyeh, I'd avoid that, your determination is great, but it's much better to take real objects and study them. Pictures are always distorted one way or the other, since they've been taken with a camera (which reads things differently than a human eye) and often the pictures get processed in photoshop (more editing). (If it's something that's hard to come across, sure, better to use a photo than nothing.) "Well-made drawings" still contain faults, even if they're good. Master studies are totally okay, but I don't think you're at a level yet where that would make sense.

Instead, draw glasses (you should have those in your cupboard ), flowers (plenty of them outside, or buy a cheap bouquet in a supermarket), balls, random simple objects around you instead. If you can, get a strong light which casts a strong shadow, that makes it easier to see and practise form and value. If you're doing in color, make sure that you don't have any weird light shining on your object. By that I mean a situation like the one in my room: There's a huge red building outside one of my windows, casting reflected red light into my room, and that's anything but natural... To top it off I have blue curtains. For my studies I either go elsewhere or darken the "red" window and pull away the blue curtains of the other window. Still, start out in black and white. Values are very, very, very important.

If you want to see what you can do, have a look at sketchbooks by other members here (you can look at mine if you want to, but it hasn't been updated in a while).

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.