Sketchbook: Zimatrix's Sketchbook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Zimatrix's Sketchbook

Hi all, I've been a lurker here for a few years now, dipping in and out when I was looking for advice or found particular articles that interested me.

I've been putting off starting a sketchbook for a while now plain and simply because I feel afraid of the response I'll get but I'm now 20 years old and I don't feel like I've improved at all over my years of practice. I love art, I seriously want to improve and I feel like I'm running out of time which is why I'm finally here, making a sketchbook for all to see.

Ok so I thought it would be a good start to show some of my work from the past year or so, my style is very much influenced by anime and cartoons and I hope to one day create a graphic novel or web comic series.

I feel very sub par though and like I said I haven't improved much for years, I have a few months off university during which I intend to really throw myself into my art and learn as much as I can.

Thank you for stopping by, I'll be uploading work here as I do it, hopefully every day.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very cool, nice character work

Rowan Dodds
    freelance illustrator
    Inksplat Studios
    www.inksplat.net

www.facebook.com/inksplat

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok so this is one of my first steps in trying to improve, speed painting. I absolutely love it but I've never tried it before. This is my first ever attempt which was created by following this tutorial http://tanathe.deviantart.com/art/Sp...F1236677&qo=38

I'm pretty happy with it as a first attempt but it's clear to see I have a lot to learn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice! Very lovely character expressions!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hooray for starting a sketchbook - I don't know why it's so intimidating, but once you jump in it's really not so bad! I have a few friends that work with me in the animation industry who still refuse to make a sketchbook and they're pros!

Any-hoo - I'll give you the top tidbits I've picked up as a cartoonist-type person.
    > Draw from life - carry a sketchbook where ever you go and try to draw a bit of everything. About 90% of my sketchbook stuff is from commuting on the bus and subway- but I still try to go to the coffee shop or park occasionally and draw there.

> Sketches don't have to look pretty - Before my life drawing teacher beat it out of me, I used to try to make every line perfect. I spent as much time erasing as drawing. One day he just took a blunt pencil and scrawled out a 20 second drawing. It was shaggy and loose, with all kinds of unnecessary lines. But it worked. I started sketching in pen so I couldn't erase, and let myself make a mess, draw a few extra arms until I got the right angle- what ever it took. It's very liberating to let yourself just make a mess. Sketching is about learning- not about pretty.

>study the fundamentals. Perspective, anatomy, and proportions are especially important for cartoonists. A very common pit fall is to sit comfortably in the cartoon world, and ignore the more fine-artsy type stuff. But a solid understanding of drawing the natural world will hugely improve your overall skills in a way that cartooning alone wont.

> lastly, don't forget to add a link to your sketchbook as your signature - that way it's easy to find it from comments and posts you make through out the site. Leaving comments is the most effective way to get feedback. Cartooning gets somewhat less traffic on this site than the game and move style art, but there's a bunch of us kicking around ^_^

Happy sketching! Keep on posting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhubix View Post
    Cartooning gets somewhat less traffic on this site than the game and move style art, but there's a bunch of us kicking around ^_^

Happy sketching! Keep on posting
    Thanks so much for the encouragement and all the advice I love the game art style too and I'd love to be able to do it which is partly why I'm experimenting with the idea of speed painting (The Guild Wars 2 concept art is phenomenal) but cartooning is what I've been interested in since I was young.

I believe there's a life drawing class near me that I intend to take over the summer, I just need to go in and ask about it. I saw a post for it online but it was quite old so I don't know if the classes are still on XD

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zimatrix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start. I like the first picture, it has a character. I checked out the tutorial, it is awesome! Don't be discouraged if your first attempt is not perfect, try second, third, fourth time! Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Zimatrix View Post
    Thanks so much for the encouragement and all the advice I love the game art style too and I'd love to be able to do it which is partly why I'm experimenting with the idea of speed painting (The Guild Wars 2 concept art is phenomenal) but cartooning is what I've been interested in since I was young.

I believe there's a life drawing class near me that I intend to take over the summer, I just need to go in and ask about it. I saw a post for it online but it was quite old so I don't know if the classes are still on XD
    Learning new way to work is never a bad thing! It can only learn you new things that you might even be able to implement into the cartoon stuff!

Please, excuse me for the possible errors in my English.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeliebob View Post
    Learning new way to work is never a bad thing! It can only learn you new things that you might even be able to implement into the cartoon stuff!
    Exactly I really want to get good at speed painting it's just a bit difficult to tackle such a big topic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    she looks really pretty. I like your style! more of them please

sense of purpose
    my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sin eater View Post
    she looks really pretty. I like your style! more of them please
    Thank you if you want to see more of my work then feel free to check out my deviantart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I knew I wouldn't be able to stick to my idea of uploading every day, just my luck I hit a massive lack of inspiration the day after I started this thread, but here are some quick illustrations I did today, the first one is a weight study and the second is a character concept for a personal project.

I wasn't really happy with the way the design was going hence why it remains unfinished but I thought I should upload it because I was quite happy with the face, feeling and pose. It was just the clothes that had me stumped. I plan on starting another concept from scratch and taking the design in another direction.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't wait for inspiration, look for it constantly. Waiting sucks and sometimes the thing we wait for won't come to us.

If I waited for inspiration, I wouldn't have even touched my sketchbook. There is so much to do and so little time.

- Vince

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.