A message to beginners and those who don't improve

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A message to beginners and those who don't improve

The fact is that everyone can learn to draw and paint in a realistic, or representational way. And by figuring out how, you can than experiment and express in many different ways, through whatever medium you like.
    Your mind holds you back, not you, not anything around you but your mind. You don't have to believe or give attention to all the thoughts that come in your mind. Thoughts like- well I guess I just need to go to art school and be taught because I can't figure this out on my own. Either way you have to figure things out yourself a teacher is a guide to that. But you know what, there is the internet. There is Amazon, and there is free loomis books. You can push yourself to learn from every resource that is available, and there are plenty. And there are enough. So you can either sit and think about drawing and how you want to be in the future, or you can toss all that aside and literally just draw.

As a matter of fact I truly recommend that if studying how to draw just puts a lot of pressure on you(which that pressure is just an illusion that your giving belief to) than you need to forget about everything and just draw what you see(its fun I promise). Every desire you have about the way you would like to draw, every desire about making a living from drawing, just any desire you have in regards to art, you need set aside(yes you can), every fear of doing a crappy drawing again or not improving, these are just thoughts they really are and your giving most your energy to them, usually unconsciously. I know through my own experience. Just sit and watch your tendencies and be honest with yourself. Are you doing art to fulfill some sort of projected idea of yourself or are you so inspired by something that it carries all your energy into the creation? It really needs to be the latter reason, otherwise that road to fulfilling your dream may seem endless, because all your energy is going into that dream and each drawing is just a means to get there. When really each drawing you need to be fully present and love doing it right then for no other reason than cause you enjoy it. And when you toss all desire or fear aside you really can see how enjoyable it actually is.

Constantly learn and try to improve with an open mind and fix your mistakes right when you notice them, because(this is a big one) if you don't you WILL develop bad habits. And bad habits are very hard break, but be thankful that you can break them if you become very conscious about them.
    Realize that all boundaries are illusory. Here are links to very good threads from this site and also books you should purchase. I know some of these links are on other threads but oh well. If you get bored with one thing then pick a different subject to work on.
    I personally have never had a problem buying used books off Amazon, which drops the price alot.

Drawing Essentials: debrah rockman (amazon)

Perspective for Comic Book Artists- David Chelsea

This book is pretty good read, not something I would say you absolutley need though.
    The Art of Drawing

This Book should not be overlooked by any means!
    The Practice and Science of Drawing

Threads that talk about Perspective
    Perspective 101

Perspective Process Thread

Thoughts on Perspective

Yoitisi Island

This a good video on perspective
    Read this post
    Dirty C single post

And then here is a thread with that links you to other threads
    Motivational threads

And thats all for now, if you take this seriously, I see no reason why you can't learn to draw.

Last edited by RestInPeace; May 16th, 2012 at 03:26 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I removed the links to your 'free downloads'. I find it ironic that
    you are plugging buying old and new books from Amazon in the same
    post as providing questionable download links. (on top of Loomis)
    Books like the Loomis series are now all available in print.
    Please support them.

Also, how about showing us your work. You've proved you can
    talk the talk if nothing else.

Last edited by Star Eater; May 16th, 2012 at 03:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh I'm very sorry I did not know you could buy Loomis books, I really didn't. And I never had problems with the other links I posted, very sorry.
    Also I plan on getting a nice camera and having sketchbook type thing in the finally finished section as soon as i can. Thankyou.
    Either way what I said has been true to MY experience and I think it would help beginners, if I didn't think that I wouldn't have bothered.

Last edited by RestInPeace; May 16th, 2012 at 03:17 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by RestInPeace View Post
    Oh I'm very sorry I did not know you could buy Loomis books, I really didn't. And I never had problems with the other links I posted, very sorry.
    David Chelsea has links to his books for purchase on his site. (Leads to Amazon)

Don't worry about it, but remember pictures speak louder than words here.

Members who have read this thread: 1