Going from Fine Art to Concept Art

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Going from Fine Art to Concept Art

Hey guys, I'm going to Jump right into this maybe someone can help me out.

So. I've been studying fine art for the past, I don't know 8 years (high school and college), my concentration has been in oil painting. Long story short it seems to me that you concept artist/illustrator types are really the ones having all the fun. I mean there is a sphere of representational painting in the contemporary art world but I find what you guys do way more exciting interesting. Looking at this website and seeing the degree of research and scrutiny that goes into these inspired works to be well, inspiring. To me it seems like the creation of the fine art is way easier but what you guys do is the real challenge.

So here's my dillema, over all these years of sophisticated training, I've grown a bit austere and my once vibrant imagination is feeling a little dull. I've been loaded down with so many intellectual concepts that I can't stand up. Is it possible for this fine artist to have some fun too? Is it too late for me to jump ship? How can I undo some of this serious thinking and let my mind imagine and explore amazing universes again? Thanks for your time guys.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Sure...I don't think the two are mutually exclusive at all...different but...

As far as fueling imagination...IDK...tougher question. I try to keep mine on a diet...
    Read a bunch of earlier, Golden Age sci-fi...then just run it like a cinema in your head.

Look up Matt Wagner too...he's around here...fine artist who does some concept work

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.