Art: Can I please get a critique for my Fantasy portfolio? :D
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Can I please get a critique for my Fantasy portfolio? :D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up Can I please get a critique for my Fantasy portfolio? :D

Hello all. This is my first posting to ConceptArt.org forums. I have just finished my Sophomore year at Columbus College of Art and Design. This past semester was my first real introduction to Digital Painting, and I used it to experiment with several different methods. I would like a review of the following pieces, as well as my portfolio at: https://ccad.digication.com/codyhanes
    Basically I would like to know what skill level I reside at, in regards to 1) Technical Skills with digital painting, 2) The styles I employ: which are best, which should I focus on, and which ones need some work, and 3) Overall sense of color, composition, and design. Along with these, I'd like some advice on what direction I should go with my Illustration. I really appreciate any critique and I would just like to really figure myself out as an Illustrator this summer. Below are a few examples of my various styles when working digitally, and if you are so inclined, I'd appreciate it if you took a brief look over my portfolio linked above.

Attached Images Attached Images            
    Last edited by Balkoth; May 16th, 2012 at 10:22 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two words

Roy Lichtenstien

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually from 1 to be a starter and 10 to be a super seasoned pro with skills in every field your current level is... 2. I don't want to scare you or put you down but it's better to know where the weak points are and start fixing them as soon as you can so you can become a lvl 8 in the shortest time

You seems to have troubles in basic skills like perspective, 3d viewing, value separation and proportion (so even anatomy). More than this you don't seem to know materials property at all and side by side you lack lighting knowledge at any degree. Obviously you haven't learned how to use your painting tools properly right now and that comes by experience.

Oh yeah colors are tricky to learn, you should start to learn values first if you haven't got any classic painting trainings. If you try to learn color theory at the same time with everything else the difficulty will increase by 2 or 3 times.

Now i think i didn't forgot anything, don't panic and don't start to rip off your hairs. Just breathe, take a white page and start to make a study plan. You should notice improvements the moment you start to get your hands on any one of the topics that i listed.

Have a nice training.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hitsu//San For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot for your critique. What have I gotten from it overall is that I need to basically re-learn most of drawing; obviously I need more training than the drawing classes I have taken in college. I downloaded a lot of drawing books and manuals tonight, of which this summer I plan on going through most of them before I return for my junior year at CCAD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fine Arts training would serve you well. Basic value, color, composition and knowledge of light on form. Think of the sun and the earth. One light source with all cast shadows corresponding, depending on their physical relationship to the light source and each other....

Members who have read this thread: 1