Gesture critique
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Gesture critique

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gesture critique

C: So I thought to get myself into a gesture practice. I'm supposed to just catch the gesture but I get too detail. So, critique to improving for body proportions.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gestures are a great thing to do, so good job getting to it. However you have missed the point of gestures.

First of all get off the computer, I would never use a computer to do gestures, pen pencil charcoal whatever.

Secondly the point of a gesture to to capture general shapes and the "flow" of a pose or action.

Next off you need to do this quickly, try between 1, 2, or 3 minute gestures, And set an alarm!

To recap an important point think about the shape of the pose, example: forehead to right foot, right foot to left foot, left foot to butt, butt to head. just try drawing that shape. Another important point is to focus on the spine and how it is positioned. In fact you should draw the shape of the spine as the first line and expand from there.

i can see you set up lines for getting the proportions correct. first off this takes too long in a gesture but they have not helped you at all. Your proportions are way off.

Anyways good luck
    cheers

Last edited by Logan Turner; May 14th, 2012 at 05:17 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Logan Turner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks!

Well to tell you the truth, we dont have gesture classes in our drawing classes.. I was a little disappointed when the lecturer did not teach any gesture poses but gave us a set of example gesture poses that were drawn and then just study from there.

I'll try my best to do. Since, my holiday is ending soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gesture drawing

Hi Holkers,

Have you ever seen Rad Sechrist's blog? He had a ton of great notes on gesture and flow.

To comment on your drawing, the first thing I'd say is that with a gesture, it's best to stay loose, it's about capturing the whole.

It's hard to talk about gesture without sounding abstract, when I was first learning, it took me a while to figure it out.

For me, when I'm doing a gesture, I'm trying to capture a flat 2D representation of the action of the whole body, I don't think of the lines representing any particular body part like the spine, but rather the rythmic paterns that the body has.

A lot of it has to do with building knowledge of the paterns that the human body has....for example, the leg from the front view has a unique patern (it's usually a straight line going down the inside of the leg, and then a 'B' shape on the outside of the leg), the leg from the side view has a unique patern(it's usually flows in a reverse 'S' curve.) When you become familiar with these generic paterns and proportions of the body it makes it easier to do, easier to spot unique things in individuals, and easier to 'push' things away from the 'norm' to caricature people.

In a gesture, I'm try to capture the action as a whole, while loosly puting down proportion and shape. The next step in my drawing is to then lay in 3 dimensional forms and tightening up the proportion, shape and rythms, then the last step is to lay in the details.

You should check out Rad's blog, he does things the right way and is very good as explaining them.

Hope that made some sense and was helpful. Good luck!

Cheers,

Geoff

www.geoffwheeler.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks!

I've checked out Rad's blog and it's really helping!

I've also went on Youtube to see any more explanations on gesture. And this one guy, he said the same thing as you've mention. Capturing the flow of the reference.

Guess I need more practice. Thanks again!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.