Sketchbook: Flute's Sketchbook

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Flute's Sketchbook

Hi all I've lurked here for quite a while now, and I decided that it's time to stop being a wuss and actually post some work.

I'm a recent graduate and studied BA (hons) Digital Art for Computer Games for 3 years. The course was severally lacking (to put it politely), and so I am largely self taught.
    I work primarily digitally, and my aim is to become a concept artist. I've got quite a journey to get there though, so I'm hoping this is the place where I can learn from the many fantastic and talented artists here

I'll be posting both finished pieces and sketches, with the oldest being at the most a year old. Newest pieces first

Attached Images Attached Images            
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    And then work from last year, again, "newest" first.
    I hope these images aren't too large. Please let me know if they are and I'll resize them.

Last edited by Flute; May 14th, 2012 at 03:45 PM.

Thanks
    Really nice start to your sketchbook. Good use of colour and design with the costumes an area I am really struggling with. Really like the pice third from bottom the design is really strong. I think being able to show my distinction between textures and materials as well as more flow in your drapery (feels a bit stiff at the mo) will really add another big wow factor to your work.

But again really nice start have you been working for a long tie digitally?

Thanks
    Thanks very much I always find fabric especially difficult to get right form wise, so I'll definitely do some studies

I've been painting digitally for about 4 years now. But I've really neglected my traditional drawing so that's something I think I really need to work on. Drawing with pencil feels so alien after using Photoshop for so long!

Just a few more older pieces to throw in too, and then it'll be new work from then on

Yuck, that male portrait makes me cringe now! lol

Thanks
    Great sketchbook so far. Seems like you are on the right track with knowledge and technique. Keep practicing and i am sure you will get very good. =)

Please, excuse me for the possible errors in my English.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Hey Flute, a nice start to a new sketchbook. The 3rd painting on this page is probably my favourite. Is it a self-portrait? The 1st one in post #4 looks very good too. It has a nice mood to it, and I can see an individual mind behind those eyes - very good.

I noticed some familiar areas that need some improvement. For example, the edges of the wood in the 4th picture in the second post look very flat. I think this is because the values are so bright on both sides of the form, and the edge of the contour seems too clear-cut. Perhaps you could choose one primary light source, and model all the forms according to the direction of the light. Make a clear distinction between light and shadow every time. Introduce core shadows, cast shadows, halftones, and reflected light... Have your edges a little softer in the shadow than in the light side.

Also, remember to always think about forms very simply, as cylinders, boxes etc. to get them effortlessly in perspective. I noticed that in the 2nd picture the shield around the woman's left lower leg (our right) should be shown really wrapping around the leg. Now it looks pretty flat, methinks.
    You could also introduce more grays into your works. When you paint the shadow side of an object, don't just paint it pitch-black; you can choose some desaturated version of the local color, and adjust the temperature of that color. Generally, when the light source is warm, the shadow areas appear cooler in comparison; likewise, when the light source is cool, the shadows are relatively warm. Keep this distinction in mind.

Also, when the image has very saturated colors all around it, it's easy for the viewer to get confused as he doesn't know what he should be focusing on. Everything in the picture seems to call for the same amount of attention. I believe "art" is all about transmitting meaning to the viewer - the meanings you give to things and how you see the world through your thoughts and your model of the world - and I believe the meaning of the picture mainly has to with its focus. Two artists can paint the same subject matter, and still produce paintings that have a totally different feeling to them (given that they don't attempt to be photorealistic and pixel-perfect), because the ways they focus on what they see are different from each other. In other words, I think focus is everything... so definitely pay attention to what you want the viewer to focus on. (And focus is created by contrasts - contrast of shapes, values, forms, directions, color saturations, distances, edges, material, details, etc.)

Anyway, nice designs. I hope you don't mind me rambling endlessly like this, heh. I got a little carried away.

I really like the lion one too. The first design in the second post reminds me of Ifrit.

Hope to see more work from you!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ruuhkis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Steeliebob: thank you very much! I've not done as much drawing recently as I should (slap on the wrist), but I'm really looking forward to practising more

ruuhkis: Wow, thanks! What a gold mine of a post Yeah, the 3rd pic is a self portrait.
    My killer weak points are always lighting and perspective. I just can't seem to get my head around them, so I'll be sure to start doing daily studies until I crack it. I think the (lack of) appropriate lighting especially always leads to my artwork looking very flat.
    I very rarely use black when I paint shadows, but I can never seem to make them "pop", and I had no idea about warm light producing cool shadows, and vice versa. I'm really looking forward to have a proper play about with lighting now
    Perspective is something I was never taught, and it's something I should have looked up myself a looooong time ago. Something I definitely want to improve as soon as possible.
    As for how saturated the images are, I had no idea they were that saturated! I'm honestly not using this as an excuse, but having just compared the sketch below on my monitor to my OH's, the colour is crazy out. So that's another problem I'm going to have to tackle. But I'll definitely be sure in the future that I have a focal point and that I don't over saturate the images
    Please feel free to make your posts as long as you like, it's a huge help to me and very much appreciated!

Just a quick list of what I think are my biggest weakness are, and areas that I want to improve on. They've been going round and round in my head for a long time now, so I think it's a good idea to write them down so I can focus on what needs to be improved. If anyone has anything to add, or any suggestions on how to improve, then please do so!

1. Lighting
    2. Perspective
    3. Making images more dynamic
    4. Composition
    5. Anatomy
    6. Learning to loosen up- I get obsessed on painting details.
    Basically, I need to go back to basics and learn the fundamentals!

To finish this monster post, here's the first result from daily studies that I've started doing. For something so simple it's taken me far too long to do. And the result is pretty crappy too, which has made me realise how rusty I've become. Hopefully as I do more each day I'll start to speed up and improve. If anyone has any good ideas for studies to do, please let me know

Thanks
    Another environment sketch. Really enjoyed doing this one, but I still think the rendering of textures in the foreground is poor.

Ref used is a photo my OH took in North Wales.

Thanks
    Just thought I'd post the first WIP of a portrait I'm doing. It's of my cousins little lad, and it's the first time I've properly ever drawn a child, so I'm looking forward to the challenge. Lots of shiny reflections on the guitar too, which is going to be fun

Thanks
    Just a quick doodle that I did for my OH. The colours unfortunately seem to be totally out of whack on other monitors, so apologies for that!

Thanks
    This is just a very quick portrait of an old character that I've done in bits over the past two days. All in all, time taken was probably about an hour and a half. Also painted with no ref so that's why things are a little more off than usual.

So yup, just done for fun as quick practice. I've become such a snail with art that I really need to up how quickly I can complete things. And I also need to learn how to paint expressions other than neutral.

Also trying to learn how to let go of details more- spending less time on pieces stops me from obsessing over little bits and prevents me from polishing everything too much. At least in theory!

Thanks
    A couple of weeks ago I suddenly remembered about a character that I had designed back in my teens. It's a terrible design, and went through several different variations, as seen as below.

Go on, have a good chuckle, I did!

Anyway, it got me thinking about how I could update the character and make the design stronger. This newer version still leaves a lot to be desired, but I had hell of a lot of fun painting it- it's been a nice break from the work I've been doing for others. I've also used it as an opportunity to try a different way of painting for once. Instead of being intensely focused on detail, I'm doing blockier colours and shapes, and trying to suggest parts of the character rather than render everything completely.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.