Anemone eating Jam

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Anemone eating Jam

Hey Everyone, I haven't been drawing for to long and I've drawn little to no liquids and I for some reason can't get the Jam on her face to work quite right.
    If anyone has any tips, tricks, or tutorials you can point me towards I would be seriously grateful.
    Oh and feel free to comment on the rest of it as well, I'm interested in what people have to say

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's almost no way for you to draw jam so that someone can tell it's jam without question--not even with a realistic painting style could you do that. It looks good enough for the anime style you have there to me. Did you try putting lines around it?

Feel free to ignore this but I warn you against making bad habits in your drawing by doing anime. Or least by doing only anime. I hope you are doing life studies as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't feel that clearly depicting jam is such a hopeless aspiration. Step one is to actually look at jam: grape jam, strawberry jam.

I Googled the title, and noticed that you copied this image straight from a frame of the anime. It's fine to base a drawing off a scene in a show, but if you're not bringing something of your own to it, or learning something from it, there's no point in it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Grunler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe add little bits of strawberries in it? :/ I second artfix, though. On all subjects.

There are a couple of things wrong with the anatomy of the skull that will pass in an anime setting but usually not with the people on CA.org. It is a much better idea to study anatomy, and apply that knowledge to an anime style, than to study anime and apply those skills to other aspects of art.

EDIT: Ok, paintover. Still, the artist of the original image had a grasp of anatomy that this piece lacks, even if it is a copy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tell a story by putting a hint of jam bottle somewhere.. maybe in the background. Then, you can guide the viewer to realize it is jam

--==== S-K-E-T-C-H-B-O-O-K ====--

Please take a look!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    put strawberry seeds in the jam?
    take some actual jam, spread it on a similar value surface as her skin, and look at it closely and see what makes it looks jammy

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Grunler View Post

I Googled the title, and noticed that you copied this image straight from a frame of the anime. It's fine to base a drawing off a scene in a show, but if you're not bringing something of your own to it, or learning something from it, there's no point in it.
    This.
    Source:

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Grunler View Post
    I don't feel that clearly depicting jam is such a hopeless aspiration. Step one is to actually look at jam: grape jam, strawberry jam.
    You, sir, made me hungry.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This is quite possibly one of the most pointless threads I've seen
    here in a while. Way to completely trace. Don't forget to
    flip the image next time.

The signature in the bottom corner is probably my favorite touch.

EDIT: I see on your Deviantart page you admit to tracing anime stills.
    Fair enough. As stated already though, this is a pointless exercise, even
    more so at your stage. You are learning nothing and will continue to learn
    nothing so long as you keep executing pixel perfect traces.

I've been getting some grief about how I have been tracing my drawings. The only drawings that I have traced are my Vectors, if I ever happen to draw something that I say I have drawn I will state it. I draw straight from frames of Anime to get the feel for that character or that style. I'm very new to drawing/drawing digitally. I have an art progress tumblr so that I can reflect on how I have improved and I've got each step that I have done there. My normal order goes as such:
    Undersketch -> Rough Outline with Details-> Final Outline with Details -> Base Colors -> Shadows and Highlights -> Touch ups -> Finished Product.
    I appreciated you looking at my drawings/vectors and I guess I should feel flattered that some of you think I trace but it is actually very infuriating. I suppose I shall try to done some OC poses and what not soon.
    From your devart page. Any grief you are getting will unfortunately pale in comparison to doing anime traces here. We have nothing
    against anime itself, only against tracing anime stills as a way to "learn a style" Forget about OCs, style and improving on your new
    bamboo pen. What you need is a cheap pile of paper and a few pencils and studies of real objects and people. Thats' how you improve.
    I don't mean to say you can't carry on playing on your pen, but unless you knuckle down and study traditionally, it will be little more
    than just playing.

And seriously, don't sign your trace. You already swiped it.

Last but not least, welcome and good luck. If you really want to learn about illustration, real illustration, this is the place to do it.

Last edited by Star Eater; May 15th, 2012 at 10:28 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.