Following

City perspective thoughts? UPDATE: now with finished piece

***EDIT***

Finished it! Thoughts on it now?

Name:  CityFin(Small).png
Views: 221
Size:  1.28 MB

Original post:

Starting work on a finished piece.. I know some people here may frown upon posting here during such early stages of development, but it's my first proper attempt at perspective, so it'd be great to get some critiques before I progress with the artwork.

It will be a city with some sort of devastation event happening in the background and people running in fear. I'm thinking tornado or giant monster. Whatever it is would be placed in the right empty space.

I've played around with perspective a bit and tried to create something that'd suit that mood. I liked the idea of the buildings bending towards the danger, as if they're getting sucked towards it and there's no escape. Not sure if it works though. The first two look better balanced than the third (composition-wise), however I do like how dramatic the third one feels.

Thoughts? I'd love any tips & advice

note: obviously it's in the very initial building-block stages. the city will be a lot more alive when it's done

here are three slightly different variations:

Attachment 1480645

Again, hope this is ok to post. Thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mistle; May 16th, 2012 at 09:32 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's impossible to comment meaningfully on this until you actually put the "tornado, or giant monster" in there. Although I have to say I don't see any huge benefit in curving the perspective lines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thumbnails, thumbnails, thumbnails! I agree with Giacomo. Who is to say if you should or shouldn't make any decision concerning perspective until you place it in the context of a full composition?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright. I sort of knew I'd get responses like that. However considering that this is my first attempt at perspective ever I thought it might be ok to present it and see if I'm doing it correctly. I'm just not too confident with my attempt is all.

Thanks for commenting regardless I'll come back once I progress the image a lot more. I just hope there aren't any glaring perspective faults that could have been fixed easily now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

re: City perspective thoughts

Hey Mistle,

I think for the most part you're doing quite well, considering it's your first time. I don't think it's too early to get feedback.

My main comment is that this is pretty much a two-point perspective setup that you're trying to force a third perspective into.

In general, you start to see the effect of a third perspective point whenever the viewers eyeline is tilted away from the vanishing point of the objects in the scene (i.e. looking up or looking down)......or when the object itself is tilted away from the eyeline of the viewer (i.e. a staircase)

Because we see the horizon line in the picture, the viewer isn't tilted away from it enough to have such a dramatic third perspective point effect on the objects.

for me, the angle you're putting on the foreground buildings whether they're straight like in your first one or warped like in your second and third one, just makes them look like they're leaning to one side, they're not coming off of a 90 degree angle to the ground.

The angle makes the foreground buildings stop having the same third point of perspective way up in the sky that the buildings further down the street have.

The general rule in perspective when it's a one or two point perspective setup is to 'keep your verticals, vertical' ....meaning that any lines going straight up and down are vertical throughout the entire picture.

I can see that you were trying to get a dramatic wide-angled lens effect into your image, but that's a very tricky thing to do and being that it's your first time with perspective, I'd stick to the fundamentals for now.

There are plenty of ways to add drama to a scene without using a wide angled lens effect, like tilting the horizon line, as you do in your third image for instance.

I hope that all made sense and was at least some help. Best of luck with your drawing!

Cheers,

Geoff

www.geoffwheeler.com

Last edited by wheels33; May 15th, 2012 at 12:10 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wheels33 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much Geoff, I really appreciate that you took the time.

I knew something felt off, but I never considered that I may be trying to force 3-point perspective into a 2-point setup. That seems exactly what's happened.. So if I were to attempt to fix this, would it be fixed by raising the third point much higher, thus making the tilt less dramatic? I feel like the horizon line/eye level is low enough to justify a third point, but I may be wrong.
    And if I really wanted the dramatic tilt, would I lower the horizon line? I'm not too sure what you mean by the 90 degree comment, sorry.

You're right that I should have stuck with the fundamentals first, I just got a bit too carried away haha. I had this vision of the city in my head but didn't realise it may be a bit too complicated to put onto paper at this point in my learning. Unfortunately I've already progressed a bit more with this artwork (I chose the middle version) so I'm just going to finish it now. Even with the perspective errors I'll still learn a thing or two when painting it. But everything you said has been noted and will definitely help me out in future works I'll be sure to nail 1 and 2 point first.

By the way - I admire your animation work. It looks great! Working within the animation field is my goal, and while I haven't actually attempted animation yet, I plan to soon. I just want to build my basic drawing skills first before I get stuck into it.

Anyway, thanks again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    updated with finished painting. still open to critiques on that now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think perspective vise it looks really good! but there's something about the bike that looks unnatural, it might be the perspective or just the shadowing.. and from a design point of view, i'd say that the street lights are way too close! you could probably remove every one inbetween

tesorone.deviantart.com
    tesorone.tumblr.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't like the curved perspective and I'm not sure about the monster shape in the background.

I think Geoff made good points about not trying to run before you can walk because it looks like your story is getting lost in the over-ambitious perspective exercise.

I think if you're looking to create a dramatic illustration of a monster attack, then maybe you should focus on the story element and leave the background as background. For instance, keep the low horizon line but straighten up the buildings and have people running towards the viewer, but get rid of the monster shape and just show the effects of its presence, like explosions or cars being tossed in the air etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

re: finished piece

Hey Mistle,

Nice job, I like a lot of things you did in here.

I like how you warped the street lights to try to balance things out with the buildings.

I really like how your colours are more saturated in the foreground and become more neutral as they recede into the picture.

I really like the way you painted your trees, sure, in perspective, they look like they're leaning over so much, they should be falling down, but they have nice volume and have a cool stylized look. Same goes for the way you painted the tall glass building with the red buildings reflection in it....very nicely painted.

I also like how you added more atmosphere at the base of your monster and gradually lessened it as you go higher up the monster.

Outside of what I talked about last time...I'd say be mindful to use your perspective lines as a way of measuring size and heights.....look at the door screen left of the cafe...compared to the set of stairs and the bike...that door looks really tiny compared to those objects......and it's on the same plane as the street sign on the other side....where your street sign is almost twice as tall as that door.

and I agree with tesorone about the street lights.....too many...and also not enough variety overall, especially along the right hand side of the page.....I suggest that you get out your sketchbook and go out to a city street and record some interesting variety of streetlamps, electrical poles with transformers on top of them, bus stops, parking meters etc.........there's all sorts of things. It's those interesting little details from the real world that you can add to an image that will make more of a connection for the viewer. I find that when I observe and record things in a sketchbook, I start to notice little details that I've overlooked all the time.

Sure there are a lot of perspective issues, but hey, it looks like you had fun trying new stuff.....and that's the important thing.

Hope that all made sense.

Cheers,

Geoff

www.geoffwheeler.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you everyone for the advice.
    tesorone - bike does look a bit off doesn't it? might just let it be for this painting but i'll improve upon object placement/perspective in future works. I fixed the streetlights though. Thanks!
    Candra H - I really like the idea of a monster-less artwork with drama shown by actions, however, during the process of this artwork I started to prefer a more eerie feel than dramatic. So I enjoy the stillness of the piece. Sort of like everyone is in hiding. Thanks!
    wheels33 - Thanks again! I adjusted some of the doors. The perspective line definitely matches up, but they still look a bit small. But I guess it's just an error with the initial perspective- I'll be sure to avoid things like that in the future. Also, I've recently bought myself a new sketchbook so I'll definitely take it with me next time I'm in the city and try and capture what makes it come alive.

Changed:
    - Fixed street lamp spacing (also different lighting coming out of them)
    - Fixed door sizes (also changed position and size of "50" sign)

I'm locking the door on this painting now. Calling it finished and moving on, taking with me new knowledge, what mistakes I made, what I did right, and how to improve. This thread has been a lot of help.

Name:  CityFin(Small).png
Views: 129
Size:  1.42 MB

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.