artzombie
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: artzombie

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

artzombie

hi! i would really like your opinion on the 'things' that are coming our of the girls head. the idea is that you are thinking and stressing so much about things that you are drained for power to use all your creativity, but if you just stop thinking of those things for while you can let creativity flow. BUT i'm not sure i'm liking the materialistic things as the flowers coming out, or if i should just stick to something more abstract? and any other critique is welcome as well

Name:  artzombie2.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  301.5 KB

tesorone.deviantart.com
    tesorone.tumblr.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,351 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You are getting "there", but you should polish your skill further. There are lots of tiny little things that keep this picture from being genuinely good: from the stifled lighting with every color compartmentalized to its own object with gray shading, to composition needing more work and the poor balance of textures.

Keep consciously practicing. Pay attention to little things that make or break a picture. Be a stickler.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you! i will work more on the details, yes. but with stifled ligthing, do mean on her? if so, i did try to make her really boring and saturated so that the stuff coming out of her head would look even more lively

tesorone.deviantart.com
    tesorone.tumblr.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd recommend have a lot of reflected light on her from all those bright colours up top. You could go nuts with it, really. There's so many saturated bright colours up top, and it isn't effecting the lighting on her at all.

EDIT: Reflected light (found on google):

Name:  reflected_light.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  24.6 KB

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mistle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah, that's true! i think that will look good too

tesorone.deviantart.com
    tesorone.tumblr.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    UPDATE
    alright, i did the reflective lighting (did i overdo it? XD) and i made the brain slimy and did some other minor stuff. i guess the slimy brain is a bit hard to see in this kind of scale..

Name:  artzombie3.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  305.8 KB

tesorone.deviantart.com
    tesorone.tumblr.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks a lot better in my opinion, good job!

now, as for the things coming out the top... maybe add some more solid strokes? most of it is just fuzzy patterns at the moment and it feels a bit flat. this isn't really solid advice btw, just an opinion. i think it'd look better if you added some more opaque strokes coming from her head outwards.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahoy tesorone!

Thank you again for your critique of my painting. I wanted to start my day off by checkout what you have here for critique.

I like your concept! I think you have some very intriguing visuals and the juxtaposition of the dreamlike objects against her stark zombie flesh is helping tell the story you have described.

To start I think the hole that is in her head could use some refining. I think currently it is reading something like a red pancake ontop of her hair. I believe if you are looking for a gaping hole you need to define the shadows inside a little bit better. Maybe look at an image of a bucket and see how the shadows fall to depict an absence of matter. I could also see that you might be going for a "pooling with blood - spilling over the edge" kind of look. In that case I think you should define the drips on her forehead more substantially and also pay attention to the "lip" of the edge where the hole meets her head. This part in particular feels the most unnatural to me.

I think you did a great job with the colorful dream type objects. My only advice here would be to dip the rainbow into a bit of perspective on one end. As it currently sits in one common stroke across the top left corner of the image it seems very flat. If it was advancing or receding into space it might help bring some depth to this area of the painting.

I feel the weakest part of the piece right now is the brain. I didnt notice the brain until very late in looking at the image. It is at the very bottom of the composition's hierarchy. I believe honestly the image could survive without that element but I am sure its a big part of your story telling. I think its too squished into the corner to be a prominent visual element, you might try expanding the picture plane to give it some more breathing room. I also might like to see the items inside the brain a little more clearly defined because I am a little confused on what are individually.

Great piece overall! Cheers to you!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TeRRoR-303 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you for the detailed critique! i will get into this asap!

tesorone.deviantart.com
    tesorone.tumblr.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.