CHoW#288 :: Bounty hunter - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: CHoW#288 :: Bounty hunter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi everyone! First time chow'er Setting a personal challenge to join in so I can learn to make characters and stuff! Lovely see everyone's ideas.

Here's my wip, it's hard know know how much detail to add but I think I've got a fair way to go.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AlexTooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice everybody

Alex Tooth: welcome to CHOW, while I like the design, you wash out a lot of values in that storm of particle effekts, personally I think it detracts from the character.
    Flash Rabbit: God damn I love it.
    Elephant stroke: dude I like the design, try blocking in your silouette on a multiply layer before moving on to form and color.
    Obstfelder: Feelin' that suit, characters seem a bit like children because of the proportions
    Pixeltuner: I'm almost imagining the watery voice, very well executed dude.

Last edited by Incinerated; May 18th, 2012 at 10:58 AM.
    "Take credit for anything embedded in the edit as long as you ment it when you said It"

Sketchbook <-nsfw|Deviantart | Website

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Incinerated For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tchuk i really liked the original one, the silhouette on page 2 better, for the sillhouette it looked almost lika a mantis like hunter with a super amazing knife hehe, this aproach i just dont like it as much, and the eys onthe silhoette were way more creepier and menacing/crazy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AlexTooth, looking good, although you have a couple of perspective problems with the face mask and the bandoleer. I would also put the butt of the gun in the crook of the elbow, not outside it, it makes the rifle look slightly twisted.
    Also, don't add detail for the sake of it, only add it if you think it's needed.

Here's what I've got, he's been chasing his latest bounty across the city for hours, he's got the shot on the guy, (who's only option is to run directly away from our hero) and he's wondering if the -30% reward for "dead" - as opposed to "alive" - is worth it.

Last edited by Barefoot; May 18th, 2012 at 11:37 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Barefoot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 391 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Probably won`t have time to finish, but oh well...at least I got to design a guy in a space suit. Never did that before, so...yay.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PxelSlayer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blah, I don't think I'm going to finish either. Not got a computer at home at the moment!

Obsfelder, I think it was the pose I liked on that sketch, and unexpected proportions. Just looked like not an obvious solution, so cool! Yeah, my armour was meant to be made from several different manufacturers thus the hodge podge design. But the legs were meant to look quick! Doh!

PixelTuner, Ah, I took the "ears" off to make it less japanese, and a little more western! but yeah, nice reference. I was going to work it up to be battered and dirty, but I've only managed to take t this far.

Anyways, here's where I got to. I'm not that chuffed, I got bogged down in rendering detail rather than keeping it broad, and then got muddled with my light sources. I think it shows and looks bitty and overworked, and a little stale. Anyone got any tips for avoiding this? It happens to me a lot with characters, before I even realise it. I'll try and re-render this some time next week.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tomercs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Obstfelder // I had to check up what BFG was lol, but the name fits
    Also you should put spidey back on the reward poster ;P

13. The Following User Says Thank You to flashrabbit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 771 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Tea Of Doom: A couple (I think 3) of evenings. Spent the first on doing the various character sketches and the variations on my choice and evening 2 and 3 on detailing the final concept. There's one more final pass to be made though and a backview. I hope I have time though, started on a big freelance gig today.

Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Pixeltuner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,320 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    it saddens me that i wont be able to finish this due to excessive school work :l but i love where this thread is going so far, looking swell!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ironbyte-Great silhouette. The pipes and the dome helmet are really cool. Gives almost a theatrical feel to the character
    Incinerated- I laughed when I noticed the number of failed bounties. I'm curious what the half of the bounty was
    AlexTooth-Hope to see you doing more CHoWs in the future! Great atmosphere and I love the armor. Very strong feeling of it surviving many a harsh environment.
    Tchuk- I second what someone else mentioned about the mantis feel of the original sketch. I miss the creepy lookin knife and the insectoid head. They seemed to fit the gruesome back story of eating flesh batter, since they had more of a cold, animalistic look.

Quick an dirty WIP for the general idea. Lot more to do before sunday. The the shell looks too much like a plate then the intended beetle shell. I'm also having an issue with making him feel like a bounty hunter/lone hunter because I keep feeling like he's too generic...adding trophies and trinkets hanging off him maybe?

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

It's progress, NOT perfection.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ghast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    super late start but here is my sketch looking to finish this one... hopefully lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right, this is probably a bit late to be jumping onto this weeks CHOW, but I think I'll finish, honest. I'm keeping it simple seen as I don't have much experience, and criticism is welcome.
    There's a lot of really cool stuff in this thread;
    @Pixeltuner- Your hunter is so bloodthirsty looking it's great
    @Continue - I really like the ratman, vermin should be bounty hunters
    @Incinerated - Your first pic made me laugh, and I'm loving the insecty feel

Here's what I've whipped up, the idea is that she's agile, so she has a muscular yet boyish figure (if such a thing exists) and I've kept the armour light. Also it's just a tight suit, she's not naked, that would be massively impractical. It's for lightness and ease of movement, Colour WIPS soon.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A-pril For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    quick sketch, hopefully i find time to finish my entry

23. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to RaphaelLuebke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update, not a lot of time over the weekend so I'll see how it goes.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Ironbyte For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good work. Some nice concepts in here.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JanJager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey this is great, thanks for all the help everyone! I shall put in some input tomorrow, about to fall asleep! - the new ones look awesome.

Not sure if it's getting better or worse, but here's an update for now. Not particularly happy with the materials need to study some!

Last edited by AlexTooth; May 19th, 2012 at 06:55 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is as far as I am going with this one... I was trying for a 17th century styled venetian, masked, futuristic bounty hunter but didn't really happen!

Sorry for no feedback, but some really great characters, look forward to seeing the poll.

Works Conceptart sketchbook 2011 - 2014
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."
    Blog Art Tweets Contact : Daylesart@live.co.uk
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Bounty Hunter

Bounty Hunter Thumbnails

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Bounty Hunter

Bounty Hunter Value Study

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update....

I moved this from ArtRage to Photoshop to continue..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update before I go to bed critiques are welcomed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Though I'd take the time for some feedback!

Incinerated - Thanks for the welcome! Hmm I kind of want a stormy atmosphere, I'll see how it works out with FX, still new to this kind of thing!

Barefoot - Thanks very much for the input, that's some great points! I have had a look at the points you brought up, I've made the effort best I can to make them look right, but times running out and a busy weekend! As for detailing gah it's so hard, I don't know where to detail and where not, I guess it's experience, i'll look at some other artists.

Barefoot - Yours looks wicked so far! I love the pose and his huge gun, it's got a really nice sense of humour to it, not in a silly way but fun - I look forward to an update! It's good you have thought out a narrative too, that's an idea!

Pixlslayer - Oh please finish it, he looks cool! I really hope you can find the time. It will be worth it, I am new to sci fi too, this is good practice!

Tomercs - Hey sweet design! You're really not far off man, keep at it, it will be worth it. As for lighting, you've got a really lovely base down right now. One "trick" or idea for "re-lighting" it, is cover the chracter in a multiply layer layer filled with flat colour. Then erase away the light, if you'd like I can show and example of what I mean with a paintover. If you're interested feel free to email me, alextoothart@gmail.com - I think you can give the guy much more presence with some more dynamic lighting if you know what I mean.

Ghast - Aw thanks for the kind words, I really want a harsh environment kind of feel! Hehe your piece is looking good so far, I'm not a design guy but I love your bug bounty hunter - at the moment I feel the lighting is holding him back somewhat - maybe more of like one solid light source as a base - are you adding a background also?

Namos - Good start, I like the pose! I think it's a bit "scratchy" right now - have you considered bigger softer brushes to start out? It's often good to start off big, bold, then refine areas. Anyway looking forward to an update!

A-Pril - Looking forward to the colour update! I like design no2, it's got a nice star wars feel which I love!

Xbert - Wow that's a great style, I'd love to learn this kind of thing! I really hope you have time to continue, I really don't have the experience to give a cirt for you but love it so far!

Ironbyte - Oh great pose!! This is a cool design, I think the tummy area and torso its slightly flat, ref ref! Sweet anyway, I like the mysterious black helmet

JanJager - Wow this guy certainly has some experience in the field Love his trophies, looking forward to more!

Dayle - Well, great you finished it! It's ok to call it done - I think you could push it, but hey it's up to you if you want to move on. I really like the venetian theme.

TSC - Great thumbs! The illustration is great so far, lets see how it come along!

Goodmanje - OK kind early for me to say much - I really think the design needs work before you continue with the painting. I can't say much else right now - I hope you continue as people here are very helpful.

Good job all, doubt I'll have time for any more feedback, so see you guys in the next CHOW!

Think I might go with higher value, lower contrast... dunno seems to feel better - I looked at some soldiers in sandstorms, and everything was very soft and washed out looking. Any input welcome! thanks!

Last edited by AlexTooth; May 19th, 2012 at 11:02 AM.

35. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AlexTooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AlexTooth thanks for the feedback. I really like your colour scheme and environmental effects, definitely adds to the notion of badass bounty hunter, will go anywhere and stop at nothing to track you down. I think your contrast and lighting on your previous wip gives greater strength than your last, it seems a bit too soft and besides, the orange glow on the character worked really nicely but you seem to have gotten rid of it. Might make for a better light source than shadow? See you next time!

Works Conceptart sketchbook 2011 - 2014
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."
    Blog Art Tweets Contact : Daylesart@live.co.uk
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AlexTooth: Thanks for the feedback! Just so I understand, should I have done more detailed sketches of the different elements that make up the character before starting to paint or is it the pose, lighting etc?

Now that I think of it, I probably should have done all of that because painting this thing is proving the be a major pain in the butt. Next time I'll do more planning!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Alextooth. Here is a small update still hoping I can finish on time, with still a lot to do:-(

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, might ditch the spaceship.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexTooth View Post
    Hey this is great, thanks for all the help everyone! I shall put in some input tomorrow, about to fall asleep! - the new ones look awesome.

Not sure if it's getting better or worse, but here's an update for now. Not particularly happy with the materials need to study some!
    looking a lot better

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Pixelslayer
    Too bad you won't be able to finish, but I like the overall design. Don't recall having seen one of those before from you.

@Tomercs
    A definite improvement over the previous rendition. Wish I'd been able to chime in sooner! Better luck next time on the deadlines!

@Xbert
    Looking solid beautiful. I like the subtle coloration of the left figure, it gives him a little motley character.

@AlexTooth
    You're really pushed the rendering on this one and brought it to life. Definitely on of my favorite of your CHOW entries. I would say that perhaps the bloom lightning, while well-intentioned to bring the character into the foreground a bit more, might have been slightly excessive. You definitely blurred the foreground noise versus your previous drafts so maybe that would be enough? Just a thought Great work!

@TSC
    Great thumbnail work. I particularly likes the top right (seems unique), the middle right, and the bottom left. I think together they provide the more variance of silhouette.

@Animare
    The starship might not be an issue if it gets a little more love and attention. The think that strikes me as weird is that the figure seems to be standing up straight but for some reason is leaning really far to the right, almost like you rotated him clockwise 20 degrees...

@Sean McClain
    I like the mood and the color palette especially.

Whew, I am tardy to the party! My computer's been out all this week so I've been going old school with my entry, doing it all in simple black pen. Just got the old PC back online so I am get some final work done on it! Thinking about adding color, but I don't know. Maybe black and white would work? I don't know for sure. Still adding a few features, like some hover drones, to the final.

-Dread_Reaper

Dread_Reaper's (HORRIBLY OUTDATED) Book of Darkness and Stuff

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119607

Current Threads:

DIABLO III fan art
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=275543

Also check out my new website!

http://nickgilliland.daportfolio.com/

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dread_Reaper For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doing some last minute front and back views.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Obstfelder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just mucking about with something completely different, that's a laser shotgun by the way. I'm not sure of the mechanics of it, but... yeah.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1337541751

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1