Sketchbook: Talsenar's Sketchbook

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hybrid View

Thanks

Talsenar's Sketchbook

Hello.

I've only been drawing for about a month and a half, I'm not looking to make a career from my art but I would like to get as good as I can, it's become a bit of an obsession recently and dropping art has always been something of a regret of mine.

To start with I've been drawing portraits, the aim is to draw 50 of them in a row and hopefully keep improving on them each time, the one in this post is number 23, I'll post some of the others in my first reply (I gather it's best to have just one picture in the OP?). After portraits I'll study figures, then composition and colour theory and so on.

First picture is Frank N Furter from The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Talsenar; June 4th, 2012 at 05:29 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Three more then.

The first is my 19th picture, kind of messed the eyes up here and the shading wasn't as smooth as I would like.

The second is a comparison picture I did to see my improvement. The left hand picture is the first portrait with the 21st on the right. It made me feel good seeing how much I had improved in about 5 weeks (I hope that doesn't sound boastful, I understand I still have a long way to go). I also started using Charcoal as well as graphite to try and bring out some really dark darks in my picture.

Final picture is number 22. It was fun doing a more unusual angle of the head, and it came out better than I thought it would. Still working on when to use Charcoal and when to swap back to graphite.

Thanks
    I tried my hand at my first digital painting yesterday. I tried to get some information on how to go about it first and it seemed to go pretty well. I only used a hard round and a soft round brush because I was looking to keep it simple whilst I learnt the key commands and other things.

Thanks
    So I recently got some sketchbooks to actually start sketching rather than trying to focus on doing finished portraits. I've also branched out in drawing and started to do some figure studies. At the moment I've only done a load of 60 second poses and a few 5 minute sketches to try and get the overall shape right. I'll focus on more detail in the short future.

Thanks
    I really should make use of this thread more and the website in general, it's just easy to let these things slide though. I could swear it was only a few days ago I did a post and then all of a sudden it's been three weeks.

Anyway I won't post everything I've done but just some samples to give a general gist.

So I carried on trying to learn figures and faces, large faces I think I'm getting the hang of mostly, it's at the point where I feel I know how to make them, I just need to practice a couple hundred times or so to get it down. Small faces as I'm only just realising, I dont know much about, as in I don't know how to smoothly reduce the details on the face the further away it is, it's something I'll have to work on. Also facial expressions
    Name:  img022.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  229.4 KB
    Name:  img023.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  220.9 KB
    Name:  img024.jpg
Size:  288.5 KB

I gave up on the city picture since I need to learn more about perspective. It's not defeat though, just a momentary retreat!

Name:  img025.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  311.4 KB

It was about a week later that I realised I was approaching the figure all wrong. At best I was getting a general outline but I wasn't really understanding what it was I was drawing, essentially just shapened tubes of meat. So I've been setting about trying to learn the important bones, muscles and other body bits that shape the human body.

Name:  img028.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  242.9 KB
    Name:  img030.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  236.3 KB
    Name:  img031.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  263.0 KB
    Name:  img033.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  261.4 KB

Finally these are some of my latest sketches. Like faces I feel I'm now at a point where I understand what I'm seeing on the torso (front and back), shoulders, upper arm and pelvis. At this point I just need lots of practice. I also still need to focus more on the legs, the lower arm, feet and hands. I'm hoping by the end of July I'll be able to put a reasonable body together from imagination.

Name:  img034.jpg
Size:  253.0 KB
    Name:  img035.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  269.8 KB

Anyway, thank you for taking a look at my work, I hope to contribute more within the week this time instead of letting almost a month slip by.

Last edited by Talsenar; July 21st, 2012 at 10:22 PM.

Thanks
    So since I've been trying to get some Anatomy basics into my head I decided to see what had stuck. I drew a man and a woman, front and back from imagination. I discovered I didn't know as much as I thought I knew but most of all I was really unsure what the body looked like from the side. Straight on and straight behind was ok, but the moment an angle was introduced it all went a bit pear shaped.

Name:  img036.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  225.1 KB
    Name:  img037.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  214.5 KB

So I did some more from observation, this time specifically trying to understand what was going on on the side (and the back to a certain extent as well).

Name:  img038.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  233.1 KB

So again I tried some drawing from imagination. Apart from a pretty shocking perspective error I felt it went a little better.

Name:  img039.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  245.9 KB

Anyway, still much to do, so onwards and upwards.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.