How NOT to run an art "contest" (Moved from Community Activities)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up How NOT to run an art "contest" (Moved from Community Activities)

Last edited by eviltreestudios; May 27th, 2012 at 01:25 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so what's the brief?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What do you mean what's the brief?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by eviltreestudios View Post
    By posting or otherwise submitting Images, you grant to ETS and all other users of this Site permission to use your Images in connection with their use permitted by these Terms of Use (including making prints and gift items incorporating such Images), including an unrestricted, irrevocable, non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free and fully paid up license under all Intellectual Property Rights to copy, distribute, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, reproduce, edit, modify, translate, transmit and reformat your Images, with or without having your name attached to such Images, in any manner or form and for any purpose, with full rights to sublicense such rights through multiple tiers of distribution. You will receive no compensation with respect to the use of your Images.
    so youre basically saying "send us all youve got so it becomes ours and we'll use it as we please, without any form of benefit for you." right?

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure if anyone else agrees, but I find this kind of thing insulting. Why do people think they can just get artwork and design for free by coaxing people into joining their "contest"? "Oh you win a prize", "it will be great exposure!", I mean the prizes aren't even that good? Seriously we aren't some grade 4 art class.

Now, speaking as graphic design student, I will always go by what my instructors told us: "The only person you work for free for is your mother."

/end rant

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 7oz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,000 Times in 784 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 7oz View Post

Now, speaking as graphic design student, I will always go by what my instructors told us: "The only person you work for free for is your mother."

/end rant
    but, duud, its not for free! you got a CHANCE to win 20 bucks!!!

oh no wait, its a gift card. for their own shop.

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my design.

Name:  lulz.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  28.7 KB

$20 plz kthx

~ ~ { My sketchbooK } ~ ~
    Santa Barbara Drawing Group, On Meetup.

12. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to SmallPoly For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallPoly View Post
    Here's my design.

Name:  lulz.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  28.7 KB

$20 plz kthx
    Well you got my vote

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 7oz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahahaha, you guys are too great! I was just initially confused by what they wanted...

I thought there would be something more than that but I suppose you guys are right, it's just, 'hand over everything you got and it'll be ours' thing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We apologize for anyone who feels insulted by this. We are a young company who were simply trying to give artist who are having a hard time getting work an opportunity to get looked at. We are open to suggestions as to what we can do to make this more beneficial to people who are interested in something like this. So please if you have positive and sincere suggestions please list them and we will make changes. As far as the legal stuff written, that is stuff that we are required to put up per our lawyers. We were NOT trying to take advantage of anyone or "get art for free". So Once again you have our apologies. So please tell us how we can make this better for you.
    Thank you
    Evil Tree Studios

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    So please tell us how we can make this better for you.
    Fire your lawyers. Or yourselves.

Here's the original post, before the OP's edit. The Community Activities section of CA is for challenges/contests/activities from within the CA community. What follows is exactly what NOT to do:

ETS is having an art contest for the first season of the Evil Tree/Vegas Royalty clothing line. Send us all of your designs: hats, shirts, jackets, pants, coats, belts and etc.
    Prizes:

1st Prize: Will have their design selected and and put into production for the first ever ETS/VR clothing line, a single piece of the winning merchandise, their design developed into an ETS video game and a 20$ gift card to use at any Vegas Royalty location or online.

2nd Prize: Will receive a single piece of the winning merchandise and their design entered into a ETS video game.

3rd Prize: Will receive their design in a ETS video game.

The top 10 pieces will be mentioned on Evil Tree Studios facebook and website.
    www.eviltreestudios.com www.vegasroyaltylv.com

Send all submissions to: submissions@eviltreestudios.com

Legal:

SUBMITTED MATERIALS
    All materials that you post on or otherwise submit via the Site and Services (“User Materials”) shall not be confidential information or trade secrets owned by you or any other party. You will receive no compensation for any use of your User Materials. Evil Tree Studios LLC or ETS may, but is not required to, post or use any of your User Materials that you may post or otherwise submit. ETS does not pre-screen User Materials that users provide or otherwise submit via the Site or Services; however, ETS may remove any posted or submitted User Materials from the Site or any Service for any reason without notice in its sole discretion. By posting or submitting your User Materials, you represent and warrant that you own or otherwise control all of the Intellectual Property Rights and other rights to your User Materials as described in these Terms of Use, including all the rights necessary for you to post or submit your User Materials.

In addition, by posting or otherwise submitting your User Materials that contain images, photographs, pictures, videos, webcasts or that are otherwise graphical in whole or in part ("Images"), you represent and warrant that: (a) you own the copyright in such Images, or that you have obtained all necessary license(s) from the copyright owner(s) of such Images to use such Images, or portions thereof, in keeping with your use in connection with the Site, the Services and as otherwise permitted by these Terms of Use; (b) you have the rights necessary to grant the licenses and sublicenses described in these Terms of Use; and (c) you have received consent from any and all persons depicted in such Images to use the Images as set forth in these Terms of Use, including the distribution, public display, public performance and reproduction of such Images. By posting or otherwise submitting Images, you grant to ETS and all other users of this Site permission to use your Images in connection with their use permitted by these Terms of Use (including making prints and gift items incorporating such Images), including an unrestricted, irrevocable, non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free and fully paid up license under all Intellectual Property Rights to copy, distribute, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, reproduce, edit, modify, translate, transmit and reformat your Images, with or without having your name attached to such Images, in any manner or form and for any purpose, with full rights to sublicense such rights through multiple tiers of distribution. You will receive no compensation with respect to the use of your Images.

You are solely and entirely responsible for all of your User Materials that you post or otherwise submit via the Site or Services. You shall assume all risks associated with the use of your User Materials including any reliance on the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of your User Materials. ETS does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of your User Materials. You acknowledge and agree that by accessing or using the Site or Services, you may be exposed to User Materials from others that are offensive, indecent or otherwise objectionable.

EVIL TREE STUDIOS’S RIGHTS TO SUBMITTED USER MATERIALS

For all of your User Materials that you post or otherwise submit to the Site, including (a) comments to Communications Venues, (b) feedback, (c) bug reports, (d) piracy reports or (e) product suggestions, you grant ETS and the users of this Site an unrestricted, irrevocable, non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free and fully paid up license under all Intellectual Property Rights to use, reproduce, publicly display, publicly perform, copy, edit, modify, translate, reformat, transmit and distribute such User Materials, with or without having your name attached to such Images, in any manner or form and for any purpose, with full rights to sublicense such rights through multiple tiers of distribution, and you also acknowledge and agree that ETS is free to use any ideas, concepts, know-how or techniques that you provide for any purpose without any compensation to you. You acknowledge and agree that ETS shall not be liable for any failure to store User Materials on the Site at any time.RESTRICTION AND TERMINATION OF USE

ETS may block, restrict, disable, suspend or terminate your access to all or part of the Site, Services and Materials at any time in ETS’s sole discretion, without prior notice or liability to you.

ETS reserves the right to do any of the following, at any time, without notice: (1) to modify, suspend or terminate operation of or access to the Site, or any portion of the Site, for any reason; (2) to modify or change the Site, or any portion of the Site, and any applicable policies or terms; and (3) to interrupt the operation of the Site, or any portion of the Site, as necessary to perform routine or non-routine maintenance, error correction, or other changes.

Last edited by Elwell; May 27th, 2012 at 02:06 PM.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, from a professional business standpoint, you probably want your site to contain more than this:

Name:  unavailable.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  42.6 KB

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The company that handles our website they are having technical issues with their servers. We apologize for the inconvenience and we will have the site back up as soon as possible.
    -Evil Tree Studios

Thanks
    Thanked 4,903 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This thread should be moved to: BS.org (Business Sense.ohrg).

Last edited by JeffX99; May 27th, 2012 at 02:38 PM.
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

23. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think having Evil in your name gave it away.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AvP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,251 Times in 395 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Or the fact that your legal disclaimer was, like...three times longer than your actual contest post...
    Don`t get me wrong, having all terms and conditions out is great, but seriously...It`s like

"Draw me a tree...

LEGAL - we reserve rights to this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this...."

Get it?

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PxelSlayer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know any artist that would think this is ok. If you are a "studio" you should know better. It reads like a scam. If you had a lawyer give you that spiel (which I seriously doubt) then you need someone who understands working with artists. I think the first thing you're going to have to provide before anyone will ever take you seriously is some kind of pedigree that proves that you or your "studio" has actually done something before.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,000 Times in 784 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    For all of your User Materials that you post or otherwise submit to the Site, including (a) comments to Communications Venues, (b) feedback, (c) bug reports, (d) piracy reports or (e) product suggestions, you grant ETS and the users of this Site an unrestricted, irrevocable, non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free and fully paid up license under all Intellectual Property Rights to use, reproduce, publicly display, publicly perform, copy, edit, modify, translate, reformat, transmit and distribute such User Materials, with or without having your name attached to such Images, in any manner or form and for any purpose, with full rights to sublicense such rights through multiple tiers of distribution, and you also acknowledge and agree that ETS is free to use any ideas, concepts, know-how or techniques that you provide for any purpose without any compensation to you.
    @ ets- here is the main problem in my eyes. having cheap prices is ok.. well, not nice, but it's ok. here you're basically saying artist will loose their rights if they enter anything. this is, seriously, not the normal way to do this.
    you could have had a licence for publicicing in any relation to the contest instead. and one covering the winners maybe, but again, I think giving away a piece of art -for ever, in whatever way someone wants to use it- for 20 bucks is.. well I guess im not starving yet.

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,435 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ashess View Post
    I think giving away a piece of art -for ever, in whatever way someone wants to use it- for 20 bucks is.. well I guess im not starving yet.
    Not for 20 bucks. For a SMALL CHANCE to get 20 bucks.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I move to create a shit list for studios that do this and have it as a sticky. We've racked up quite a few over the years.

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Brashen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Game designers and "idea men" need to learn to draw and 3D model and texture themselves before they even attempt to create a studio. Walking a mile in an artists shoe's will give you insight on what the work entails. Give yourself your own restrictions and restraints and ask yourself "How does this make me feel?"

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Brashen View Post
    I move to create a shit list for studios that do this and have it as a sticky. We've racked up quite a few over the years.
    oooh. Got a link?

oh wow. now it's moved, this thread really took off! I feel almost embarrassed for the OP.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Contest is being revised.

Seriously, don't even bother. There is simply no benefit to the artist with any sort of contest, with the supposed benefit of exposure being a joke and any rewards being inconsequential.

Grave Sight Graphics: The Art of Eric Lofgren.
    elofgren@ telus.net (to use e-mail address please remove space between the '@' and 'telus')

My Art Blog
    My Online Portfolio (Updated Jan. 30/ 2011)
    ~NiNjA~^~mOuNtAiN~^~PoDcAsT~(Working illustrators talking illustration)
    Eric Lofgren's licensible rpg art resource
    Art Director for New Gods of Raanon

38. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Eric Lofgren For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    Not for 20 bucks. For a SMALL CHANCE to get 20 bucks.
    Not for a small chance to get 20 bucks. For a small chance to get a 20 BUCK GIFT CARD FOR THEIR CRAPPY STUFF.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Not for a small chance to get 20 bucks. For a small chance to get a 20 BUCK GIFT CARD FOR THEIR CRAPPY STUFF.
    ...which is probably gonna be made from the images you sent them in the first place.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Shorinji_Knight For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I bet it is considering the ConceptArt.org ass whoop'n that was handed down.

Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:
    Jay's Conceptart.org sketchbook

Check out my portfolio:
    http://jasonrossart.carbonmade.com

Check out my blog:
    http://mind2pixels.blogspot.com

"Practice" DOES NOT make perfect...
    "Perfect Practice" makes perfect...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kayness View Post
    oooh. Got a link?

oh wow. now it's moved, this thread really took off! I feel almost embarrassed for the OP.
    Don't have any links, but a quick search would probably result with a few hits. That's if the mods haven't deleted them already. There were countless occasions were studios were offering the same crud, and other scenarios where they were stealing art and purporting it as their own.

And as for revising the contest. You've sullied your name here and can no longer have anything to do with this community.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Brashen View Post
    You've sullied your name here and can no longer have anything to do with this community.
    Bit harsh? Not allowed to realise his mistake and run things a bit more realistically/honestly in future?

...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermis View Post
    Bit harsh? Not allowed to realise his mistake and run things a bit more realistically/honestly in future?
    Not gonna happen. Remember, these are the geniuses that can't even keep their site live.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 2,161 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Awww. I was really counting on winning that $20 gift card. Darn.

48. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.