Environments, composition, perspective - Critique highly appreciated

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

So, since I really don't get so much constructive criticism on my art that often, I was recommended to look for it on this website.
    This is the first thread I've ever made here, so bare with me.

This is my first futuristic city painting I've done really. I get very easily stuck on where to go next, but that's because it's outside my comfort zone.

I'd appreciate any helpful and constructive critique and feedback really.
    I'm pretty confident in my art, but just like many others, I still need more training in certain areas.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I like your idea here. I like the light at the bottom (presumable from all the city lights) and the dark above from the night sky. I also like the shapes and designs of the buildings.

If you want to do this well it is a very time consuming project and is difficult. There are many ways people do these sort of pictures. But if I was you and would set this painting aside and use it as a thumbnail to use as a reference. Them in a new file set up a really tight two or three point perspective (three would definitely be better if you know how) and lay down a fairly tight line drawing, sort of light a blue print. And use your thumb as a guide. Them over top this paint as best you can using lots of ref for reflections and lights and whatnot.To do a good fully rendered pic of something like this will take a lot of hours...

Anyways thats what I would do,
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Logan Turner: Thank you for the advice! When you mean "tight", I guess you mean to place the vanishing points slightly closer to each other to create a more dynamic perspective? And it sounds like a good idea to use this as a thumb rather than trying to render it as it is.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, when I say tight I mean precise/accurate. I would place the vanishing points just as what feels comfortable to look at.

Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay! I'm glad I asked in advance, then!
    I get a feeling that it was a good idea to go here for feedback after all! It's a bit hard to recieve some constructive feedback on dA, tumblr or facebook when many of the people see me as "pro" when I actually still have a lot to learn. Thanks again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There’s not really much of a composition here. The building on the far left of the image is really not helping you either, since the edges are basically attached to three edges of the image. It makes it look like the image has been cropped too closely. We need some breathing room, and something to focus on. I’d do more thumbs, and come up with a better composition. Small details aren’t nearly as important as good composition.

Welcome to CA!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know, I kinda like the comp. Making the building on the left extend more off the top and side might help the cramped feeling because it is kissing the sides as it is now. You might also curve the foreground tram to the left so that it passes in front of that building. I like though that those buildings frame the image and the trams lead the eye around in a circular motion through image. Of course more thumbs like David said are always a good idea!

Cheers!

It makes me feel like I am right in the middle of the city, flying through on a ship.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will do some more thumbs, right now I'm working on something completely different. So I will do some thumbs tomorrow!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did a new thumb today based on the first one. I like this one a lot more on a compositional level when it comes to the placement of the monorail/roads, i focused less on the details on this one, but I can imagine adding some vehicles and such. Also drew some small humans in the lower right area.
    Will do a third thumb later, would like to hear what you think about this one first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Foervraengd View Post
    Did a new thumb today based on the first one.....
    Oops,sorry. New here. I thought the numbers under the post meant page numbers and accidentally clicked 2 so don't freak out that this post is rated 2 out of 10.

...but any way to the picture. I like how your eyes are drawn to different parts of the image at once. The image seems a little too centered. Everything is happening in the center. Sure the lighting on the other sides make a difference but after you have looked at everything, your eyes comes back to the center. Overall, great work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like how the roads are going all over the place because it creates a feeling of chaos that you'd find in a "go go go" futuristic world, but it really falls short with so much empty space in the thumbnail. I feel like I'm either on the outskirts of a futuristic suburb, or there's some sort of natural obstacle out of visible range seperating the city (like maybe a large lake or river?). Your first thumbnail had more of a populated city feel to it.

I'm also going to echo the sentiment that three-point perspective would do well with the ideas you're going for. You could really emphasize how tall the buildings are, or how high off the ground the roads are.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    - Why no 3p perspective?
    - Vanishing points are way to close together.
    - What kind of city is this supposed to become? I mean should it be realistic or futuristic, fantastic etc.
    Since you have those highways there, I suppose it should be futuristic/fantastic, but the shapes of your buildings and its windows are really working against such a feeling. Your first image was way better in this point. You should invest more time into planning out forms. Look at other artists and their environments, it will help you a lot in finding ideas. Or look at real towns and pick out the stuff that looks futuristic to you.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.