IOW #24 - Game Over - VOTING
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Who best represented GAME OVER?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • warburton

12 37.50%
  • IntoTheVoid

1 3.13%
  • IDP

24 75.00%
  • derekdedgell

4 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: IOW #24 - Game Over - VOTING

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following

IOW #24 - Game Over - VOTING

Last edited by Andrew Sonea; May 14th, 2012 at 10:24 PM.
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Game over...

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by warburton; May 14th, 2012 at 03:49 AM. Reason: changed final image resolution and size

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good grief this was a lot of detail

"And so this little game of ours comes to an end".
    Just look how happy he is! Makes it all seem worthwhile.

My Sketchbook - All are welcome

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IntoTheVoid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here we go...

Name:  IOW#24_IDP.jpg
Views: 4505
Size:  528.0 KB
    Name:  game over wip1.jpg
Views: 995
Size:  57.7 KBName:  game over wip2.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  93.7 KB

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IDP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    final...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to derekdedgell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the delay guys, but the poll is now up!

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Rob Powell is offline ...he draws aliens and doesn't afraid of anything...
    Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,593 Times in 588 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    warburton: Got my vote!!! Although the meanie with the bow will have a hard time shooting arrows with no string on his bow.
    IDP: It's not game over! Moustache can block the check with the white bishop, although next move is check mate

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Pixie Trick is offline Industrial Design of the Week Leader
    Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some crits? Because this is Illustration of the week, I'm going to obsess over story a bit- apologies in advance. As usual, feel free to ignore anything and everything I say.

IDP- you got my vote! I'm a sucker for anything bright and with an engaging storyline- I can clearly feel how each of the people in the scene are feeling, nice composition. The one thing you could do to really, really push this that much further would be to add some things in the bg that would keep it from seeming like a surreal, perfect desert park. Not even other people, but maybe just a bench or a more distant path.

warburton: Great image, but I'm all I'm not getting any sense of a plot here- no scenery clues or objects worth killing for lying about. Also, I love that you've chosen to tilt the viewing angle, but you've managed to keep quite a lot of verticals in the image which I think is counteracting the goal- eg. the victim's closest arm and the anchoring leg of the evil guy.

IntoTheVoid: Same here- love the tilted view. I suggest you do a bit more reading on perspective- it looks like you tried to set up a one point perspective, but I don't think you quite got everything quite down. Perspective is one of those nice things that's handily quantifiable and once you learn it and absorb it, it will really help you make sure everything is in scale on on the same plane as each other amongst other things. There are some really awesome basics of perspective in the mentoring area I think- search for "Yoitisi Island". On another note, I think you did a great job with the body language here.

derekdegel: Again, I'm not really sure what's going on. He seems really tense and he's hooked up to something, so I'm guessing he's still alive, but other than that I've stumped. Is he ill? Has he spent his life in an alternate digital world and is going to die having next to no memory of his reality in a cold and impersonal surroundings (referring to the headgear and screen I think I see)?

Fantastic work guys.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pixie Trick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Am I too late?

My final piece and 2 WIP's..I hope I haven't missed the deadline..I really did not know we had to resubmit the whole thing again..sorry my bad..anyways..hoping for the best and here is my final submission...

*Edit* Forgot to post final piece in right format..I guess I am out of this anyways..but at least it was fun..will remember all these details next time

Last edited by monologish; May 15th, 2012 at 07:32 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to monologish For This Useful Post:

IDP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Powell View Post
    warburton: Got my vote!!! Although the meanie with the bow will have a hard time shooting arrows with no string on his bow.
    Obviously shooting your enemies is for sissies! This guy clearly throws all his arrows at his enemies like the badass that he is, then beats them down using his bow as a club

Pixie Trick Thanks a lot! Yeah, I learned perspective a long time ago, but never had much luck applying it properly. I feel I'm missing something important somewhere between the basics and more advanced techniques It started with one vp, then I rotated some objects, which required two separate vps for each; later when I changed the crop, moved several objects around, and rotated them again I completely lost track of where all the different vps were and got completely lost
    Thanks for the suggestion - I'll scour the mentoring section for anything I can find.

monologish Sorry you missed the cutoff, but personally I don't think making the poll is as important as simply participating
    And kudos on pushing your piece this far - it has improved greatly!
    Right now, I think there's a lot of interesting things going on with it, but the overall flow feels stilted. It reads more like a cave painting story than a dynamic metaphorical scene. I think the main thing that slows it down is that there are no good transitions between any of the elements. The tentacles just kinda start and stop from out of nowhere, and their pink hue isn't shared by any other element. The dead guy's body on the right is largely missing - not fading or being swallowed up, but missing - which I find very jarring. Same with the mourning woman and the face. You have to think about how these objects interact and how they exist in the space they are in, even if the space itself is metaphorical. Hope that helps

Voted IDP because I love the color scheme and expressiveness of the characters, and because it fulfills the topic very effectively

Cheers to everyone

My Sketchbook - All are welcome

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IntoTheVoid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool entrys for all, i like how everyone had a completely different idea.

Thanks to Rob and Pixie Trick for your crits, they are much appreciated and helpful. I face palmed when i read Robs

intothevoid Nice job man, i like the amount of storytelling and detail you put into this. That villian sure does look happy with himself. The biggest issue is the perspective i think and values. There doesnt seem to be any clear light source and i think you could have played with that to push the mood of the piece more. Check out some film stills which feature similar scenarios and topics to see how they handle to lighting and stuff to affect the mood. 'Cinema squid' might be a good place to look if your stuck for resources. You could also use the lighting to play off certain focal points of the piece and push the foreshortening and atmospheric perspective more. Cool idea and entry never the less, i hope the crit helped

IDP Nicely done dude, you got my vote. You brushwork is prity awesome and i love the colours, especially in the light and dark skin tones. I kinda liked your earlier wip where the background fades out, it has more mood to it and leaves more for the imagination. The final feels alot more closed off in comparison and empty because theres nothing in the background to feed our imagination or give more storytelling apart from various autumn. This is more nip picking than anything though, your piece turned out great and in my opinion is a well deserved win. Great job.

derekdedgell Interesting idea, and you've done a great job rendering in this piece. I like how you've done the lighting too, especially on his face. That being said the way his shirt is folding on the right of his chest looks odd, like someone dropped a massive boulder on him. The choice of a plain light blue shirt is abit misleading too, for me it doesnt convey 'game over' as more RIP. The headset and computer in the background are interesting too, they add intriguing storytelling elements but are abit confusing. What are they? Why are they on him while hes in a coffin? Your usually put in a coffin after your dead arnt you, so what effect do they have on him? That being said i like the piece overall and you have some good skills, i hope this crit helps in some way.

monologish Sucks that you missed to poll dude but Void has a very good point, and so long you had fun and learnt and bunch of stuff on the way its no big deal really. Plus you'll still get crits so its all good ;p
    You got a very interesting piece, and i love all the details in it. Its kinda hard to crit because its very stylised, so the things i say would be just opinions and guess work. It looks like you wanted some form on the figures and face in contrast to the hair/detailed area because you've added light and shadow areas. If this being the case i think you could push that element further by adding more values and form to the figures and the tentecles. Some more application and use of colour could have been affective here too to push the more sinister mood of the murder and the 'game over' aspect of the piece. Just on a seperate note too, something that would have been really cool is if you did a kind of comic strip in the hair/detail area as a back story as to how and why this person got angry and murdered, it sort of looks like you went for something similiar to that already but having that more clear would have been prity cool.
    Dam, sorry for the essay =S Hope this was helpful in some way regardless, and nice job.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crits everyone. Pixie Trick and Warburton, I agree about the background; I've never been very good at backgrounds/environments and really need to work on them (I'll add them to the list).

IntoTheVoid - I'll just echo what the others have said about perspective and creating a more dynamic light source. Aside from that it was good piece; great storytelling and lots of nice details.

Warburton - Loved this image, great atmosphere and very nicely done. In terms of the brief though I would have liked to have seen a bit more of a story element though; hinting at the relationship between the two characters, adding more visual clues to the battleground etc.

Derekdedgell - I think you have the beginnings of a really cool idea here but when you start to question some of the details the image becomes a bit confused. Like Warburton, I think the rendering is great and love the way you lit the face.

Monologish - Shame you missed the deadline. I think you had the most interesting approach to the topic and I like the way the final piece turned out. Look forward to seeing how you develop this style for future challenges.

Really nice round everyone

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IDP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a tonne for all the comments guys...and ur right..missing the deadline is sad, but all these critiques and suggestions totally make up for it

IntoTheVoid - Thanks for your comments, I agree that my work can use some dynamism..which will make it more interesting, but I was actually trying to capture the final moment, while showing all the details that led to that moment into this one image. So maybe that could explain the stillness...but I think a touch of more action will make it more interesting...

Regarding your submission..please bear in mind I'm just a newbie artist so anything I say just my opinion ...I love all the details you have put in..though I feel that the piece could have been worked on a little more..maybe a little more detail in some aspects might help..like the hands, the shoes...I mean adding a little more form to the elements would make it look a lot nicer considering there is so much effort in the perspective and the angles...

Warburton - I love the entire feel of your piece..and I also think a little more clue about the background story would have helped a lot..but on the whole it looks great...and you are right I was trying to capture all the moments and elements that led to this final moment of 'game over'..I guess I need to bring in some more order to make it clearer...thanks a lot for taking the time to suggest all those things..really appreciate it..

IDP - Thank you so much for saying that..btw I loved your piece a lot.awesome detail and love the colors, the expressions and the entire feel...you got my vote

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monologish For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a tonne for all the comments guys...and ur right..missing the deadline is sad, but all these critiques and suggestions totally make up for it

IntoTheVoid - Thanks for your comments, I agree that my work can use some dynamism..which will make it more interesting, but I was actually trying to capture the final moment, while showing all the details that led to that moment into this one image. So maybe that could explain the stillness...but I think a touch of more action will make it more interesting...

Regarding your submission..please bear in mind I'm just a newbie artist so anything I say is just my opinion ...I love the concept and all the elements you have put in..though I feel that the piece could have been worked on a little more..maybe a little more detail in some aspects might help..like the hands, the shoes...I mean adding a little more form to the elements would make it look a lot nicer considering there is so much effort in the perspective and the angles...

Warburton - I love the entire feel of your piece..and I also think a little more clue about the background story would have helped a lot..but on the whole it looks great...and you are right I was trying to capture all the moments and elements that led to this final moment of 'game over'..I guess I need to bring in some more order to make it clearer...thanks a lot for taking the time to suggest all those things..really appreciate it..

IDP - Thank you so much for saying that..btw I loved your piece a lot.awesome detail and love the colors, the expressions and the entire feel...you got my vote

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey IDP, I love the chess theme, and your piece is my favourite. However, I must note that there is no checkmate on the board. The loser's bishop would move to block the winner's, and a whole other mess would ensue. However it still looks like the loser would lose no matter what.

Members who have read this thread: 4