Upgrading from a bamboo pen and touch medium to an intuos3 A5

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Upgrading from a bamboo pen and touch medium to an intuos3 A5

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Upgrading from a bamboo pen and touch medium to an intuos3 A5

I bought the bamboo medium tablet as a beginners tablet (previous model). I think it's great and I'm still learning to use it. However I have the opportunity to buy a used intuos3 A5 for ~$100, but am unsure if it's worth the upgrade. According to specs it has a higher surface resolution and it detects pen angle (bamboo doesn't) and the active surface is about the same. The main reason I'm considering it is because I like sketching digitally and the beter resolution might make that easier. Is it worth the upgrade?

Last edited by DanijelC; May 10th, 2012 at 09:53 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Id say buy it if you have the cash to spend. Its not a bad price for an intuos. Plus the intuos 3 doesn't have the nib wear issues that the later versions apparently have. I am still using an intuos 3 and don't see any real reason to upgrade.

That being said it doesn't make all that much difference which wacom model you use. A good artist will make just as good pictures with a bamboo as with an intuos, so its up to you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply. I don't really have the money, but If I sold my bamboo it would cover the cost of the intuos3. I just thought the 90-100 usd was a great price for a used intuos3 (seller claims it's as good as new).
    Of course a professional can make good use of any tool and at my stage the tablet will have least impact on the quality of the result. It's just that I haven't seen many intuos3 selling for such a low price, it seems like a good investment (given that so many artist rave about it ).

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    However, if the surface area is smaller it can be a step back. I wouldn't get an intuos3 small for example.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good point. I actually thought that the A5 intuos3 had a smaller active area based on the pictures. But according to specs a bamboo fun is 8.5"x5.4" (~46 square inches) where the intuos3 A5 is 6"x8" (48 square inches). So it actualy has a slightly bigger working area .

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DanijelC View Post
    Good point. I actually thought that the A5 intuos3 had a smaller active area based on the pictures. But according to specs a bamboo fun is 8.5"x5.4" (~46 square inches) where the intuos3 A5 is 6"x8" (48 square inches). So it actualy has a slightly bigger working area .
    Then I'd upgrade. There are a lot of advantages to the intuos3 with the express keys which can be customized per program basis (bamboo doesn't have this feature - it's an overall express key).

But keep in mind your actual working area is in proportion to your monitor. Or rather it will change if you force it to map to your monitor's proportions.

Make sure it comes with a stylus. Your pens are not compatible with the intuos3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I always map a portion of the screen to the tablet, so I get the max out of the tablet area and the movements I make are the same on the screen. The stylus is indeed very important, a new one alone costs $100 . Anyhow, thanks for the feedback. I'm going to try and buy the tablet, hopefully everything works out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just got my intuos3 tablet, I just need to buy some extra nibs. Are the new nib types compatible with the intuos3? I'm thinking of buying the WACOM ACK40001 Intuos4 Pen Accessory Kit:

Nib Thick-Bodied Rubber Grip for Use Without Side-Switch
    Standard Rubber Grip for Use Without Side-Switch
    Replacement Side-Switc
    Standard Black Nib
    5 x Stroke Nibs
    5 x Hard Felt Nibs
    5 x Flex Nibs
    Nib Extractor

I assume the standard black nib is the equivalent of the standard white nib?

Edit: question answered in this thread (all nibs are compatible).

Last edited by DanijelC; May 19th, 2012 at 08:48 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.